Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

T1R Spec-S Dampers

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
T1R Spec-S Dampers

I have a little dillema on my hands, i've read all the threads about the T1R Spec-S Dampers and i will get them for sure !

I live in quebec and we have lots of snow here in the winter. I have skunk2 springs but they are too low during winter months (i dont wanna scrap the fit). The skunk2's were also a little harsh for my taste with the stock shocks.

If i get the T1R Spec-S Dampers and install the stock springs on them, will it improve my handling ? And if i decide to put the skunk2 springs on them, will it improve the ride quality versus the skunk2's and stock shocks.

Thanks

Edit: I've decided to remove the Fit Sport Lip kit for the winter and it should give enough clearance.

Last edited by Lightarrow; 11-22-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Ride quality and ride height are two independent, non-related, suspension qualities. A stiffer spring will give you a harsher ride but better handling – up until you get to 10 cycles/second on the natural frequency of the system (on the car). But that is ridiculously stiff and not the problem here. If your shocks are contributing to the stiffness of the car, then they are way over damped! Back off the damper settings. The only reason lowering the car gives you a stiffer ride, is because the spring is just plain cut to length and that makes the spring much stiffer. A backyard SNAFU! Done by people not understanding how a spring works, or plain not caring how the car handles and just wanting a low-rider look at any price…just plain stupid in my opinion. You can have a lowered car with good handling qualities if the spring is designed right. Although the ride height is set by suspension travel – that means that you can’t lower the car much without it bottoming out on you!

Replacing the stock shock will probably improve the damping qualities (just because the cheapest shocks are used on production cars), PROVIDED they are adjustable and not over damped for your particular installation. My guess is that your ride quality was quite “bouncy” with Skunk spring on stock shocks, because the stock shocks don’t have sufficient damping force to dampen the stiffer springs.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
**off topic**

Salut Lightarrow, c'est bien de voir d'autre monde de Quebec ici

Old 11-11-2009, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Hey vive les hiver du quebec !

If i understand correctly, if i put the Skunk2 springs on the T1R Dampers, the ride should be smoother than the Skunk2 on stock dampers ?

Im also on a dillema here. I have a deal to get the Skunk2 Pro-c Coilovers for 1300$CAD shipped. The T1R Spec-S dampers are 650$ CAD but i will not be able to adjust ride height for the winter.

I don't mind the ride height (stock springs) but i dont like the handling on stock.

What do you guyes think ?

Old 11-11-2009, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Your ride will be smooth on the T1R damper if you set it at soft.
I was thinking to get coilover too, but with the road here, it will give me headache.
This is sure, T1R Damper will increase the handling.
I dont remember if the skunk2 spring are linear or progressive? If you want a smoother ride, take progressive spring.
I've the T1R spring, those are pretty good and the ride is great but I'll order my damper soon.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kurse
Your ride will be smooth on the T1R damper if you set it at soft.
I was thinking to get coilover too, but with the road here, it will give me headache.
This is sure, T1R Damper will increase the handling.
I dont remember if the skunk2 spring are linear or progressive? If you want a smoother ride, take progressive spring.
I've the T1R spring, those are pretty good and the ride is great but I'll order my damper soon.
Skunk2 springs are progressive rate.

I'm not sure how the T1R's will work with the OEM springs. I believe the T1R dampers are shorter in length than OEM dampers.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the info Tofuman.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member
I've read on the official T1R Spec-S thread and the AJ Racing guy said that the dampers were fine with stock springs. Im going to verify this but i really hope they work with the stock springs since the drop is a little much for the winter here. Last winter was ok but we never know.

Te rapelles tu de l'hiver 2 an passé ... intense !

Last edited by Lightarrow; 11-11-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
Hahaha ouais je men souvien, je travail dans les ptit moteur, j'en ai réparé en salle des soufleusse :P

Mais cette année y parait que ca va etre un hiver doux!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
je manque le four wheel drive pendant l'hiver. La fit est un bon char mais la traction en hiver laisse a désirer

Je vais m'acheter les dampers demain je crois de aj-racing

Old 11-11-2009, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
good choice!

Old 11-20-2009, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
have you buy it?

Old 11-20-2009, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Ouais man, je les ai acheter J'ai finalement acheté le kit Dampers + Springs pcq A&J avaient du free shipping si tu achetais les 2 ensemble et si j'achetais juste les dampers, c'était 60$ de shipping ... les springs m'ont couté un gros 40$ lol En touka j'ai recu toutes les parts que j'avais besoin de honda et la je vais l'installer demain (samedi). J'ai trop hate ... Je laisserai des commentaires après avoir driver un peu... les shocks sont nice raid

Jp

Old 11-22-2009, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
awesome!

jattend de tes commentaires

Old 11-22-2009, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
So i just installed the T1R dampers and Springs ! They are great, I tried some settings on the dampers and the softest settings feels like the stock suspension even tho the handling is much better. The hardest setting is bumpy and you can really feel the road, although it's still not that bad.

For me, even the harshest setting is better than Stock Dampers and Skunk2's. If you are buying a suspension set. I really suggest this one !

My only problem during the installation was to figure out which way to put the rear springs. We finally went with the writing on the right side. Now i am hearing a noise when i hit some bumps in the rear. I think it may be the springs compressing and the metal of the springs rubbing on itself.

Kurse, as tu eu des bruits de tes springs arriere? et de quel bords les as tu mis ? genre si tu regarde le spring, ya un boutte qui a lair plus comprimé... ou ya moins d'espace entre le metal. J'ai mis ce bout la au haut de la suspension. Je suis pas sur si c'est ok.. au pire c assez easy a flipper.

Le plus weird c'est que meme quand j'Avais mis mes skunk2 avec la suspension stock. ca faisait le meme bruit en arriere .. un genre de rubbing noise... je sais pas c weird.

Je vais mettre des photos dès que je lave le char. Ill put pictures as soon as i clean the car. Edit: Je suis capable de reproduire le son en levant le char avec mes mains dans le fender en arrière... je vais mieux checker demain !

Last edited by Lightarrow; 11-22-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:27 AM
5 Year Member
as tu encore les siege de rubber sur les spring en arriere?

Old 11-23-2009, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
now the question is, use the t1r springs with the t1r dampers or use skunk2 springs with the t1r dampers. im really interested in this set up. im running t1r both. i do also own some skunk2 springs.... someone else try this and let me know how it goes before i waste time and money lol.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
i'll be running skunk2 springs + t1r dampers after i sell my pro-c's. hoping for mid dec. or early january. gotta see how much money i have left after christmas is all said and done

Old 11-23-2009, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
cant wait to hear your opinion vs t1r springs.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
I've figured out what was doing the noise. It appears the rear passenger damper was not tighten correctly in the bottom. Yea i've left the rubber thignys on the springs

Im also running the T1R springs + T1R dampers. It's pretty good up till now. I've set it to the softest setting for now as the roads here are not that great. I've got to say that the softest is a little harshest than stock when going over bigger bumps but it makes smaller bumps unnoticeable. Compared to the harshest setting that everything is noticeable. I find that with this setup, i get more body roll than when i had my skunk2's with stock dampers. Im not sure what is causing this since the t1r springs have a comparable spring rate to the skunk2's springs.

I've still got my skunk2 springs so i might try them if ever i have some time. I like the drop on the T1R better in the back. With the skunks, i always felt like the rear was too high.

Did you guyes notice that one rear damper is different than the other ? Ill post pictures soon but it seems like the top where the rubber cover ends, one of them has a metal part more than the other one ...

Quick Reply: T1R Spec-S Dampers