Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

D2 Racing 6 Piston Front Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 AM
5 Year Member
D2 Racing 6 Piston Front Brake Kit

Hey guys,

as some of you know, I really like tracking my Fit even though most of the time the car is used as a daily drive. Last time on track, I kinda ruined my brakes. I checked them with a mechanic and there are blue traces on the discs in front, the car also turns a bit to the right when breaking hard now.
He said that it seems as if the brakes are already damaged and I should not use them on track in future. I use OEM brake pads and the original 210 mm x 21mm discs.

Unfortunately, there are only better brake pads available, I did not find any slotted rotors in Europe that fit without problems. Another question would be if these parts were street legal here.

However, I've just stumbled across the D2 Racing 6 Piston front brake Kit that is made for the car and also allowed here. What do you guys think of it? I know the company name but do they produce high quality products? D2 Racing recommends putting better brakes all around the car but this is really expensive. Can I also use the brake kit in front and maybe better brake pads in the rear? Most of the brake balance is in front so there should not be a problem with overheating, nearly OEM brakes in the back, right?

Here's a link from their website:
Bremsanlagen 286mm

Thanks for any advice. This seems quite important, even for a car with such small engine. I can't believe the brakes only last 40 km (2 laps Nordschleife) pushing hard.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:33 PM
5 Year Member
30 views and no idea?

Old 08-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Firstly you should try adding better pads, stainless lines, and especially fluid to your oem brake setup. Stock pads and fluid are designed to withstand day to day driving, but are the worst thing for hot lapping your car. You would be amazed at how much of a difference a pad compound change, and fluid with a higher boiling point are. Try doing dome diy brake ducting for your front rotors.

D2 racing makes some ok stuff. Not top quality, and not rubbish. Just kinda in the middle.

As for changing the fronts only and not the rear. Good for show points, bad for performance. Your brake stopping distances will become worse because you will be having so much front bias that the rears will not be allowed to work as effecient. Even with a performance pad change in the rear it wont be ideal. Either dofront and rear at the same time or not at all.

Lasty, you didnt address them but Im going to point it out anyway. Tein S-tech springs are some of the worst springs for tracking as they are progressive springs that change their spring rate aggressively upon compression and rebound. They are more a show spring than anything. Definetly not your best drop-in for track racing.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
6 pistons and your car will do endo's probably.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kouki
Firstly you should try adding better pads, stainless lines, and especially fluid to your oem brake setup. Stock pads and fluid are designed to withstand day to day driving, but are the worst thing for hot lapping your car. You would be amazed at how much of a difference a pad compound change, and fluid with a higher boiling point are. Try doing dome diy brake ducting for your front rotors.
I asked EBC Brakes via e-mail and they told me that Greenstuff pads can be used with our OEM brake rotors. However, I should be cautious because the rotors can still overheat. DIY brake ducting is not allowed in Germany. This may be a good idea but I don't want any problems with the police and insurance.

I've just received an offer for slotted rotors but only for the front. The size seems to be identical but maybe it helps?

D2 racing makes some ok stuff. Not top quality, and not rubbish. Just kinda in the middle.

As for changing the fronts only and not the rear. Good for show points, bad for performance. Your brake stopping distances will become worse because you will be having so much front bias that the rears will not be allowed to work as effecient. Even with a performance pad change in the rear it wont be ideal. Either dofront and rear at the same time or not at all.
Your explanation sounds very reasonable. Another idea would be to use the rear disc conversion setup. There are stainless lines, sport brake pads and 288 mm slotted rotors included. The only problem would be that I already got brake rotors in the rear and if I really swap to 6 pistons with 286 mm rotors in front, the rotors in the back will be 2mm bigger. Is that a problem?

Lasty, you didnt address them but Im going to point it out anyway. Tein S-tech springs are some of the worst springs for tracking as they are progressive springs that change their spring rate aggressively upon compression and rebound. They are more a show spring than anything. Definetly not your best drop-in for track racing.
When I got the springs I was more into style than racing. That changed with the first time on track. I did not know this, thanks for your information! I only felt that the whole suspension seems to be a bit too soft. I am looking for Tein super street coilovers in future but it depends on the budget.

Anyway, thanks for such useful posting. Thumbs up!

Last edited by GTornado; 08-21-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
In general, d2 isnt the greatest quality.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
Here are some very good options for big brakes on the Fit...check it out!
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tallation.html

Old 08-21-2009, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
I've personally never run across any major problems with any of the D2 Coilovers or LCAs I've owed. I did blow out one of my shocks one a set a few years ago, but it was replaced by D2 no questions asked.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Be carefull with those ebc's. They tend to start on fire when they get too hot. Ive got a friend that lit up the red ones on his 240sx on a pretty mild track day.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 AM
5 Year Member
Does anyone know the weights (caliper, rotors) of the d2 brakes? ITR brakes are to heavy for me.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:14 PM
5 Year Member
Synthetic brake fluid

Old 07-20-2010, 01:28 PM
i cant beleive no one has commented on how jealous we should be that he gets to drive his car on the ring....props to you!

Old 07-20-2010, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Seems a little over kill

Old 07-21-2010, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
Depends on usage (author comes from Germany, so he drives often faster than 100mph as I do). I want to reduce weight. The OEM ITR is to heavy for me. I know Wilwood has the lightest, but they don't have a good reputation in Germany.

Last edited by mgutt; 07-21-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mgutt
Depends on usage (author comes from Germany, so he drives often faster than 100mph as I do). I want to reduce weight. The OEM ITR is to heavy for me. I know Wilwood has the lightest, but they don't have a good reputation in Germany.
Don't use the OEM ITR stock calipers. Use SpoonSport's found here

Products | SPOON OFFICIAL WEB

these will bolt right to the GD3 caliper ears...no modification. These calipers are made by Nissin...they manufacture calipers for Nissans and other vehicles. They are world class. The only problem is that the Honda wheels will have to be spaced out about 7-mm for the thickness of the caliper (pistons on both sides of the disc) or an aftermarket wheel will need to be used that has lots of room for big calipers. These calipers are also lighter than the OEM Fit calipers.

Enkei makes great wheels and light weight! I'm saving up to put these on.

Enkei High Quality Wheels - Racing Series : PF01

StopTech makes a full floating disc that bolts right up to the GD3. These are the discs that I got. these discs weight the same as the dinky OEM Fit discs, because they have an aluminum center.

Zeckhausen Racing

I have these on my GD3...I'm just using the OEM ITR calipers. Once I save up enough to upgrade to the Spoon calipers, I will do that. But this also requires the wheels, witch I do want to get.

This is a full race setup at a reasonable cost.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
I'll buy Volk Racing CE28N. They are lighter than Enkei (but much more expensive ).

> Spoon
I found a weight in this forums: 5lbs. Compared to ITR with 11.5 lbs its good, but Wilwood weights 2.65 lbs only. But I heard their quality is not good.

I'm not sure if they fit to mine as I'm having a JDM GD1/GD3. If they fit, why doesn't add Spoon them to the Fit Lineup?!

Old 07-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Banned
Wilwood is good stuff

Old 07-21-2010, 04:16 PM
5 Year Member
In Germany some people made bad experiences with Wilwood regarding vibrations in braking and some of them had problems with broken rotors.

But the main problem is the size. If I go with Wilwood 12.2 I need to use 16 inch wheels.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mgutt
I'll buy Volk Racing CE28N. They are lighter than Enkei (but much more expensive ).

> Spoon
I found a weight in this forums: 5lbs. Compared to ITR with 11.5 lbs its good, but Wilwood weights 2.65 lbs only. But I heard their quality is not good.

I'm not sure if they fit to mine as I'm having a JDM GD1/GD3. If they fit, why doesn't add Spoon them to the Fit Lineup?!
I've talked on the phone with the SpoonSport USA guys...they are the ones that told me that their calipers fit the Fit. I didn't have the money to buy the Spoon calipers, so I got the OEM ITR calipers based on their information. It does fit and under a 15" wheel.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HOLY FIT!!
i cant beleive no one has commented on how jealous we should be that he gets to drive his car on the ring....props to you!
If you're talking about the Nürburgring, I'm JEALOUS!

Quick Reply: D2 Racing 6 Piston Front Brake Kit