Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Integra Type-R front disc brake installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jodele
OK – I got an update…I went to the UPS Store and got some weights…

The left front stock disc (very well used, but never machined) weighs 11.00-lbs

I also checked to see if the stock studs will be able to hold the wheel on with the 3-mm spacer installed. I started a lug-nut and started counting the revolutions to tighten it. I got just under 6 rotations. With a thread pitch of 1.5-mm that only gives you 9-mm of grip on a 12-mm bolt. You need at least 12-mm or 8 rotations. This is dangerously low. Spoon Sports sent me ARP P/N 100-7712 bolts. This is what they look like installed…installing them was a pain in the ass. I have a 12-ton press and it took every bit of it to take apart the front hub. I took this opportunity to remove the splash guard on the back side of the disc to get better cooling also. Replacing the studs is not a job for the newbie or the ill equipped shop.

This is how the longer studs look like...

That is ugly...I will figure out something...but they a definately needed!
Have you figured anything out for the studs?

Old 09-29-2009, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
^i believe he decided to cut them shorter.

"I've decided cut down the longer studs...now the stock lugnuts can go back on."
-jodele-

Old 09-29-2009, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Cut Studs

Yes, I've cut the studs.

Since I had a set of stock lug-nuts with the caps cut off, I torqued the wheel on. Then with a caliper, I measured the distance from the ends of the studs to the lug-nut faces. I removed the wheel, and then wrapped the stud with masking tape at that point to cut the studs off with a Dewalt 4" grinder with a metal cutoff wheel. Those studs are damn hard. I then punched a 2-foot square piece of cardboard over the studs and sprayed Rustolium Gray paint over the ends of the studs to protect the cut ends from rusting. It looks stock now.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Does with work with the GE's?

-bix

Old 10-09-2009, 07:48 AM
5 Year Member
Dave of Zeckhausen Racing has got a GE8 Fit of his own... He was planning on trying this mod on his personal car but has not gotten around to it... stay tuned. The disc P/N is the same, but the caliper P/N is different.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:04 PM
5 Year Member
Great info in this epic thread!!! Very detailed, organized info, and discussion. +reps Jodele.

Sounds like this would be my best option for upgrading my GE8's brakes.
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
I'm about to experiment with this upgrade on my own 2009 Fit Sport w/NAV. So far, I haven't seen any 2nd Gen Fit owners try this, so I guess it's time to step up myself and see if it works. Will report back on whether it fits and if it has any unintended effects on the stability control system.
Please keep us updated, I too have an 09 Fit w/Nav (MT), and I am curious if something similar will work for our GE's with VSA.
We still have to find a reasonable rear disc conversion too. I think someone on this board did convert their rears to discs on the USDM GE8 (according to their posts), but no specific details on parts used.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Please keep us updated, I too have an 09 Fit w/Nav (MT), and I am curious if something similar will work for our GE's with VSA.
I won't be doing this mod any time soon. Just started construction on my "dream garage" and the cars are sleeping outside for now.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Great pic... nice view/shot.

Take your time, you guys in this thread know a lot more than me on this subject. Any update will be more than appreciated.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member
heavy duty foundation for a car lift? lol would be cool.

I won't be doing this mod any time soon. Just started construction on my "dream garage" and the cars are sleeping outside for now.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by OneStopCustoms
heavy duty foundation for a car lift? lol would be cool.
I considered a lift, but I want to be able to park the car in the middle of the garage at an angle, so I can have lots of access for washing/detailing as well as the occasional brake installation. A lift just takes up too much space. And even with the lowered floor, I still won't have much headroom. Since the living room is directly above the garage, I can't blow out the ceiling (according to my wife)!

Old 11-23-2009, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
I considered a lift, but I want to be able to park the car in the middle of the garage at an angle, so I can have lots of access for washing/detailing as well as the occasional brake installation. A lift just takes up too much space. And even with the lowered floor, I still won't have much headroom. Since the living room is directly above the garage, I can't blow out the ceiling (according to my wife)!

dayum... hahaha, in the end, smart wife LOL...

Old 11-25-2009, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
i want 96 spec jdm type r 4x114 hubs!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
did the zeckhausen.com itr calipers come with the bracket or was it just the caliper?

Originally Posted by Evotech8
I finally have pics of my Budget Big Brakes!

Click on my album since i'm having issues posting pics in this thread.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/album.php?albumid=284

1. Zeckhausen.com ITR calipers $79-each
2. Fastbrakes.com Integra 11" rotors $48-each
3. Fastbrakes.com modified ITR caliper bracket for 07'-08 Fit (exchange only) $60/pr. Call and ask for Brian. Mention its for a Fit application.

Total Cost: $314-

And no Spacers or Studs needed!

Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
Yes they do, but take a look at post #84 on page 5. They come in two different castings. One fits, the other does not.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Jodele, sorry for the late response. I checked out the posting of t27 and t31.
From what I read:
t27 does not fit thick rotors
t31 fits thick rotors intended for the big brake kit.

Now, if we're just going to run the stock itr rotors in front, do I still need the t31 or t27? Or just get the t31's?

I'm ordering everything today. Thanks guys.

Nacho

Originally Posted by Jodele
Yes they do, but take a look at post #84 on page 5. They come in two different castings. One fits, the other does not.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
When you order the calipers from Dave, tell him that they are intended for a Fit and that you need the T31 castings on the caliper brackets.

FYI stock ITR discs do NOT fit this car! Read this post...all of it...there is a lot of good information that several people contributed. You don't have to make the same mistakes we did. Save yourself some time and money...and read.

All these questions you are asking have been answered in this post already.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Links to parts

Here are the links for everyone if anyone is interested. These links are for just the standard brake upgrade nothing special. Please correct me if I am wrong on the links to the item for the brake conversion I will correct it to direct people to the right item.

Fastbrake Rotors (11" Plain Rotors for modified Type R calipers) $47.50ea
Brake Kits - Performance Pads, Rotors, Calipers & Brake Upgrades

And as Evotech8 stated "Fastbrakes.com modified ITR caliper bracket for 07'-08 Fit (exchange only) $60/pr. Call and ask for Brian. Mention its for a Fit application."

Zeckhausen Racing Rebuilt Caliper w/ Pads $79ea
Zeckhausen Racing

Hope this helps everyone out.

Last edited by danger69; 12-29-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Here's a link that works for the calipers:Acura Integra Type-R calipers & pads

Old 12-29-2009, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Dzeckhausen. I guess there is no rotors that will fit the calipers unless you get the bigger ones. Trying to help the budget builders in mind.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Questions about disks and pads, front and rear

Originally Posted by MarcoM
Hello Jodele,
Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, but just to clarify a few things: I have the "stock" t1R rear disk conversion and I would like to upgrade the rotors and pads to match the upgrade I'll be doing up front. In post #17 you mention the Sport Stop Slotted rear rotors as 239mm x 10mm. Then in post #99 you say you're upgrading to the Stop Tech 226.40060SR/L which Zeckhausen lists as 260mm x 10. Is this a direct swap w/o any adjustments needed for the additional 41mm in diameter? Also, I've seen conflicting info on the pad size: some list a D537, and others D374. That's all for the rears.
As far as the fronts are concerned I believe I have all the info, but just to double check, here is what I'm doing: I'm buying the integra type R calipers from Brakewarehouse.com because they offer them already powder coated. Then I'm going to ship the caliper brackets to Fastbrake to have them shaved so I can purchase from them the Spec R Integra/Civic Ex/Si 11" slotted dimpled rotors. I then will ask either Brakewharehouse, or Brian from Fastbrakes for upgraded ceramic pads (D503). I already have SS brake lines. That should pretty much do it. Have I missed anything? Thanks again for all your assistance. In case you were wondering, I did finally manage to sell the Project mu BBK, albeit at a $300 loss (valuable lessson).

Reply from Jodele:
These are very good questions...
do you mind posting this everyone to read?

The rear calipers T1R Kit) are off a Standard Integra (non Type-R)...I assumed in post 17 that the matching Integra discs were used...stupid me! Post 99 is correct. T1R decided to mismatch discs and caliper...I don't understand it, but that is what they did. And as a result, the brake pad does not wipe across the whole face of the disc...but they work great. I like them.

It has been a long while since I did the research on the fronts, but take a look at the table that I've made in one of the posts where what is needed to be done to use someone's discs. I think if you get the caliper bracket machined, you will only be able to use FastBrakes discs. You will have a one off configuration...you will have to buy your discs from FastBrakes ONLY! This is the cheapest way to go, but I would not do this. I would much rather have a choice and keep with "standard" parts.

Right now I'm saving my quartes to buy the Spoon Sport calipers for my car...and I've already had the Mugen 5-way suspension sitting in my garage for at least 9 months...maybe I'll install them at one time real soon, now that the weather has started to break.

JJ

Quick Reply: Integra Type-R front disc brake installation