Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

If I want to start autoX

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:05 PM
If I want to start autoX

what would be the best set up, just springs, springs shocks, i want to start to try it out i know coilovers are my best bet but to start as a once in a while thing what would be best?

Old 05-26-2009, 05:53 PM
I know you want to hear parts but honestly: sunscreen, water, snell approved helmet, and a good instructor riding along is all you need for the first season. Good luck and have fun.

Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM
for parts, i'd go with some better tires first, then some stiff springs with sum antiroll bars and some new brake pads

Old 05-26-2009, 07:08 PM
5 Year Member
To stay in the stock class(the only class the Fit has a decent chance to be competitive) You can change front sway bar, tires, shocks, remove the air filter during your runs, and change catback exhaust.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by EXWRX
remove the air filter during your runs

why the hell would you remove the air filter it's there to filter crap out of the air going into your engine. hence, air filter.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Luvs Dah b00st!
NO NO NO NO NO

if u wana start Autox then DONT DO ANYTHING TO THE CAR, learn to drive ur car and the limits of ur tires springs swaybars engine, so that when u do, do a MOD then ull feel the diffrence and know how to over come the change. if u have never driven through the cones then there is no point in going out and doing a full coilover and sway bar set up, because. the car is automaticly gona drive better, where as if u have a stock car YOU WILL LEARN TO DRIVE BETTER, u cant bolt on driver skill. go out have fun and get a good helmet.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
You wouldn't drive it normally without the air filter, but just for the short autocross runs. It does accelerate wear on the car, but the lack of a filter(and the restriction of airflow inherent in it) increases performance by a measurable amount.

I do agree with GD3kwb that learn to drive the car as fast as it can got stock, first.

Last edited by EXWRX; 05-26-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by gd3kamiwanaB
NO NO NO NO NO

if u wana start Autox then DONT DO ANYTHING TO THE CAR, learn to drive ur car and the limits of ur tires springs swaybars engine, so that when u do, do a MOD then ull feel the diffrence and know how to over come the change. if u have never driven through the cones then there is no point in going out and doing a full coilover and sway bar set up, because. the car is automaticly gona drive better, where as if u have a stock car YOU WILL LEARN TO DRIVE BETTER, u cant bolt on driver skill. go out have fun and get a good helmet.
+1 on this one.. do this..

Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
i have two things to say:
1: i'd rather drive a slow car fast , than drive a fast car slow! = this means that if you don't know your own car before you get all the mods you want well your car will out drive you and you'll not do what you went out to do, i recently went out to millermotorsportspark and did the SCCA PDX (beginner class) I let my instructor (manditory) drive and even after 4 laps riding shotgun, i was terrified to drive my own car when he pulled into the pits to switch me places, i didn't know my "little 100hp Fit" could take corners like that, it took about 40 more laps (2.5 miles per lap) and two instructors before i really started to get the hang of it. I've drag raced my 300+ hp crx, and my 200hp supercharged 98 civic 4dr ALOT, but i have never had more fun than when i roadraced my lil Fit - i learned more about my car than i ever thought i could know! (my car is lowered on sprint blue's and i have a CAI) and neither fit i went out with could keep up (i like to think i out drove them) i know my car now and, yeah sure i want coilovers and better brakes, but my next mod will be a camera mount for inside the car to show how much fun it is!!!
2: if you have enough money to do it twice, then you have enough money to do it right the first time! = you mentioned you'd just do springs now and coilovers later, well i say, take the advice ^^^^ others are saying and run the stock class and save your money to "do your mods right the first time!"

i will race again this year in my fit, and i did have my springs before i ever set rubber on the track, otherwise i'd be on stocks and saving for a good set of coilovers for next year

here are two pics fron the first time i road raced (04-09)

go have fun

Last edited by vtecfit1; 05-26-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 PM
really like that advice, im going for my first time on sunday and im way to excited.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kevinkidstar138
what would be the best set up, just springs, springs shocks, i want to start to try it out i know coilovers are my best bet but to start as a once in a while thing what would be best?

Take it from an old autocrosser with a wall full of trophies these guys who advise sunscreen & right tire pressures and shims to widen track and improve camber are right. Spend very little til you find out whats going on. Then ease into it: tires slightly smaller diameter and slifhtly wider. And stickier to rules limit. Then wheels.
Mods like added antisway bars and lowered springs generally take you into a modified class so thats only when you get serious.
Based on what I see here in SCCA competition the Fit is badly outclassed in F but its a good place to learn. If there's an A/X school offered in your area take it. Best prep you can get.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
dude thats insane... but i went autoX for the First time and it was a blast... most ppl that i meet there they were autoX the Car Stock then bit by bit start to do lil change to the suspension you see the Difference...

Old 06-01-2009, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
If you upgrade to lighter rims with better tires does that put you in a different class due to the lighter rims?

Joe

Old 06-01-2009, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
If the size and offset stays the same, then no. If either changes, then yes.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Just go out and have a good time!

Hey Kevin,
For your first time out, here is list of all you'll actually need. Get access to an SCCA approved helmet, air gauge, air compressor, and tire chalk.
As you continue to AutoX, you will eventually figure out what mods you'll want to do. What you need (mod wise) is dictated by the class you decide to run. If you want to be competitive, then give the H Stock class a try. With the right combination of upgrades, and driving skills, you could be as successful as "mrFroge." FYI, Rich Bangle took back-to-back championships in 2007 and 2008, in his H Stock prepared 2007 Honda Fit S, 5AT. Check out his run in Berkeley: AutoX "mrFroge" at Golden Gate Fields: YouTube - mrFroge AutoX at Golden Gate Fields 4-26-08
I have decided to go a different route. I setup my car to suit my personal preference first, then determine which class my car is qualified to run in. My car won't be as competitive as the others in that class, but I have fun knowing how my "Daily Driver" runs when I push it.
I don't expect to win any championships, I am not that dedicated. I do like to have fun, and drive fast. AutoX allows me to so in a safe environment.
My greatest joy is to post times that compare to those of Porsche and Corvette owners!

Old 06-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
for your first time, i agree with the people who have said to just run the stock car. that way you can learn how to handle your car at its limits; then you can truly feel and appreciate the difference with modifications later on (or see if the modifications actually helped). BUT do not run your car without the air filter...seriously.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Ooh...

Originally Posted by doctordoom
for your first time, i agree with the people who have said to just run the stock car. that way you can learn how to handle your car at its limits; then you can truly feel and appreciate the difference with modifications later on (or see if the modifications actually helped). BUT do not run your car without the air filter...seriously.
I'll have to tell mrFroge not to continue this practice anymore!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
If you want to get started in it the first thing you can do is nothing... there is a great reason for that too

As a stock Fit you slot right into the HS class; you can get to know your car a bit better and spend cash on things you need for the season instead of blowing you budget right away. As a stock fit with GOOD tires you will be very competitive too!

The 5 things I would recommend right off the bat are as follows;

1) Get a helmet that is comfortable
2) Sign up for a school, practice makes the most difference in this sport
3) Zeta Dead Pedal, is great for bracing yourself!
4) CG Lock (CG-Lock CG Lock Performance Add On For Your Seat Belt)
5) Tires!! You can put wider tires on without getting a penalty... 205/50's will give you superior traction. If you plan to go with dedicated tires either the Khumo XS or the Bridgestone RE-11's will give you a huge advantage... the step past that is full out R-compound tires. But those are expensive and as a starter you don't really need them.

Make sure you play with your tire pressure a bit. Start with about 42psi and see how it feels. A lot of guys put a bit of chalk on the tire to see how much it is rolling over, if it is rolling over too much increase the pressure... otherwise bleed it off for more traction.

I found my happy spot around 39psi in the rear and 38psi in the front, however each tire is a bit different.

I also like to fold the rear seats into the floor, it drops down your CG a bit.

The biggest thing is to have fun! Just enjoy pushing out the limits of the car, it is really nice to be able to do that with the Fit!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 06-01-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JoeF
If you upgrade to lighter rims with better tires does that put you in a different class due to the lighter rims?

Joe
No, but if you go beyond 4.5mm from the stock offset it does.

In other words you need at least a +51 offset wheel to stay in the stock class.