Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit
View Poll Results: t1r or skunk2?
t1r b52
29.63%
skunk2 pro-c
70.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

skunk2 vs t1r

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
skunk2 vs t1r

Hi! I've read a lot on this forum about coilover setup and after all my choice was between the skunk2 pro c and the t1r b52.
Which one of those will the the best?
Positive and negative point?
Camber ajust?
It will be for a daily driver and week-end lapper.

Please help me, im so confuse right now!

Thanks a lot!

Carl.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kurse
Hi! I've read a lot on this forum about coilover setup and after all my choice was between the skunk2 pro c and the t1r b52.
Which one of those will the the best?
Positive and negative point?
Camber ajust?
It will be for a daily driver and week-end lapper.

Please help me, im so confuse right now!

Thanks a lot!

Carl.

T1R has the benefit of adjustable camber which is a HUGE plus, though camber bolts work almost as much for neg camber, which youll want the most of for lapping.

I had the T1R's, the F to R spring rate bias wasnt good with the stock rates, and the damping rates are WAY to high for street driving. They were designed for 10k-12k springs and they just put 6k springs for the street. They simply cant handle the little bumps and cracks in the road and you end up skipping over a bunch of them, which isnt good for street handling or even really track. You want a matched spring/damper combo.

These would be good if you used the stiff springs, and for a track only car.

I also wasnt impressed with the quality (stripped 2 bolts, i do this for a living, it was due to poor hardware not overtightening) and one of the endlinks i got shipped were the wrong ones. this could have been a fluke as many others havent had this problem but just figured Id mention it.

I have no experience with skunk2's, but from previous experience i wasnt fond of there products, though i will admit Im using skunk2 rear springs on my setup now

Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 PM
5 Year Member
i have a set of the skunk 2 pro c's and i love them, i havent been in a car with the t1r's but for me the pro c's handle dam good and ride is a big improvement from the stock suspension.. its also a bit cheaper than the t1r. i found my set for a little under 1200 shipped

Old 01-09-2009, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
now with poll!

thanks guys for your reply!

where have you pick your set at 1200$?

Old 01-09-2009, 02:22 PM
SKUNK2 PRO C's all the way! Thats what I am running, I love em' they would be great for what u wanna do them as far as daily and weekend lapper! there 12way ajus. damper so u can go back a fourth from daily to lapper in just a few turns of the nobb on top of the sturt, I drive daily on setting 6 and it rides like it just came of the lot and its slammed, if this is the route u wanna go call Tony shagday up at skunk2 his # is 951-808-9888 ex.204 tell him Jason from Baltimore MD. sent u and he will hook it up. heres a pic 4 ya
Name:  1225081628.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  18.9 KB
and I can go a 1 1/4inch. lower all the way around

Old 01-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Im also for Skunk2's. Probably because I have them.
If you want to use the dampener adjustments Id suggest not slamming the car. At my cars stance theres no difference from 8 (highest Ive had it) to 1. At least I felt no difference.

Camber adjustment for me was as easy as loosening the lower strut bolts and kicking the wheel in. Camber bolts are suggested to keep them in place but as long as the bolts are tight they shouldnt be a problem.

Originally Posted by FuLLy FiTTeD
I drive daily on setting 6 and it rides like it just came of the lot and its slammed
I dont believe that one bit. My car has a rough ride, but its due to the spring rates. Skunk2's are 8/6 I believe? A 6/6 would be best for daily. If you want coils and are concerned about the ride get the Enduratech

I bought the Skunks for the stance. Not the ride. It rides like its on coils. I feel the road, every dip, imperfection, crack, EVERYTHING.
Heh

Old 01-11-2009, 03:43 PM
For a daily driver, neither would be as stock-feeling. I'd go for Endura-Tech's (5k/5k spring rate)

Old 01-11-2009, 05:06 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
The only thing about Enduratechs is you cant go low... From what Ive seen at least.
Nothing some mods cant do.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Believe it RAY! Sorry to tell u but its true, I feel all the same shit u do! BUT its not Violent like other set up's i have ran in the past, Like if I was to hit a bump I dont feel like I just got rear ended my an F-250 at 50mph! I dont feel like the car is beating me up any more! I love skunks for the ride and the stance! There great in my eyes

Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
yeah ray you're right the spring rate is 8(f)6(r).. for me i ride with it at 7/7.
i love the feel of the road while i drive, been riding dumped ever since i started driving all of my cars have been dumped/slammed so maybe im just use to it. My fit doesnt compare to my other cars ride heights but it has got to be the best functionable ride i've yet to be on. when i was rolling 6/5 on the pro c set-up it felt like stocks on the straights (over bumps etc.) but it handled better from less body roll. So actually comparing the skunk2's to stocks would be a fail in my book. theres just no way these things can handle like stocks when its better.

just like ray i bought these coilovers for stance as well, but i am infatuated with the ride they out put. a lot better than my expectations

Last edited by iheartJDM; 01-11-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
My old Mazda was on Tokico Illuminas and Ground Control race kit. I bought them used.
That was the first car I drove with a full coilover kit. I thought it was crazy stiff.

I then bought my 2nd car, 1G Probe GT. I pieced together a coilover kit. Sleeved ebay coils on KYB G2's.
Even that was pretty damn stiff. My first "slammed car."

Even my Vw on a strut/spring (H&R Cupkit) is real stiff.
Almost as stiff as my Fit.

But my Fit is STIFF. Its what I wanted and its what I got. But I feel no difference with the dampener adjustments. I really think its due to how low I am. Anytime my mom or dad is in my car they dont complain about the ride so it must be ok? Ive even asked if they thought it rode ruff, they always say its fine.

Sometimes it gets on my nerves. City driving isnt too bad. Any kind of long term highway driving I avoid at all costs. Its too rough.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
My old Mazda was on Tokico Illuminas and Ground Control race kit. I bought them used.
That was the first car I drove with a full coilover kit. I thought it was crazy stiff.

I then bought my 2nd car, 1G Probe GT. I pieced together a coilover kit. Sleeved ebay coils on KYB G2's.
Even that was pretty damn stiff. My first "slammed car."

Even my Vw on a strut/spring (H&R Cupkit) is real stiff.
Almost as stiff as my Fit.

But my Fit is STIFF. Its what I wanted and its what I got. But I feel no difference with the dampener adjustments. I really think its due to how low I am. Anytime my mom or dad is in my car they dont complain about the ride so it must be ok? Ive even asked if they thought it rode ruff, they always say its fine.

Sometimes it gets on my nerves. City driving isnt too bad. Any kind of long term highway driving I avoid at all costs. Its too rough.

yeah its possible that you dont really notice the difference due to the height of your car. your car is a lot lower than most. mine is at a decent height.. although i want to be lower. i just don't have the nerve to "mod" my coilovers. these things cost way too much

Old 01-13-2009, 07:16 PM
5 Year Member
the skunk2 will probly be my choice.

but! i've find 2 great deal here:
Suspension Performance - Buddy Club N+ Spec Dampers Honda Fit Free Shipping
and
Suspension Performance - D2 Racing Sports RS Coilover System Honda Fit Free Shipping!!!

The D2 look to be a great choice for the price, the buddyclub too, but less review..

Its so hard to make the right choice!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by iheartJDM
yeah its possible that you dont really notice the difference due to the height of your car. your car is a lot lower than most. mine is at a decent height.. although i want to be lower. i just don't have the nerve to "mod" my coilovers. these things cost way too much
Theyll still be the same coilovers.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
Theyll still be the same coilovers.
true that, before going any lower im most likely gonna hve to grind down my rear bumper

Old 01-13-2009, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
so everyones on the Skunk2's side lol I'm thinking of getting the T1R's. Why exactly? i dunno lmao

Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I have T1Rs and I agree with what Mike said. The dampening, although paired with 6kg/mm springs front and rear, is much too high for normal street driving. (Like Mike said, these are dampened for very high spring rates). Although they feel good on smooth roads, most roads aren't smooth, and I notice the car loses traction mid-corner when I contact a bump/imperfection in the road, since the high dampening causes the car to almost hop a little bit. This kind of sucks if you're trying to take corners with confidence.

Of course I love the camber adjustability you can get with the T1Rs. I am using camber bolts, and am currently running -2.5 in the front. I can achieve -3.0 easily. (I autocross my car)

The quality seems okay. Not epic or anything though. The instructions that came with them are completely in Japanese too, which I thought was kind of lame.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
damn, its hard to choose now.

i want the camber adjust for the lapping so the t1r will be nice, but mostly of the people told me to take the skunk2 for the quality.

some idea about another brand in the same line of those?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Retired Moderator
I have T1R B52, lowest setting front and rear. As said, the ride qulaity is terrible. Very rough, and bouncy. I have messed with the dampening and it has not helped in ride comfort one bit. I have been told this is due to them being set so low, that the dampening adjustment is not useful anymore. Not sure if thats true or just my dampening "click" adjustments are just defective.
If you can live with the ride, they are awesome. My car handles excellent on most surfaces, i sometimes get bump steer but i have learned to counter act that after the first few times it happened. I am AutoXing with them for the first time next weekend, i expect them to really shine at that. Ill update you after my run.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome! Thank you!

Quick Reply: skunk2 vs t1r