Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

T1R Front Sway Bar for Fit/GD3 - Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Banned
Post T1R Front Sway Bar for Fit/GD3 - Review

AJ Racing was running a special about a month ago on their T1R front sway bars for the GD3 at about $145, so I decided to try it out.

The shipment was pretty prompt within a few weeks of payment. The item was shipped via USPS ground.

I received some other stuff that week as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, the moment came when I unpackaged the bar and its contents. Hoorah! Only a catalog, 2 bushings, a bar and no instructions. Great!

Thank god I own my own shop. My GD3 was then put on the hoist and I was surprised to learn that the GD3 already had an OEM sway bar from Honda!

My mechanic informed me that it was necessary to remove the frame in order to install the bar without any damage to the other components.

I then called AJ Racing to verify this. I believe I spoke to Ben. Ben was well... lost for words... he said 'none of our customers have had trouble with it... how do I install it?... just slide it through and take off the wheels."

Clearly, Ben was not a mechanic and had no clue whatsoever. Its impossible to slide the bar through based upon the grooves, the hubs, and the muffler.

You can see from these photos that it required more work than that. My mechanic called it 'sales BS' in his language.

Anyways, after the installation... I was thinking? Did I just purchase a piece of colored metal for nothing that is almost identical to the OEM sway bar except for being a bit thicker?

After driving on the road and freeway, I started hearing a clanking sound. I think that's because of the bushings or the fact that the bar is thicker than the OEM one. This sound is more apparent when the vehicle is going over bumps. After viewing the photographs, its probably caused by the oversized bar hitting the control arms. Also steering appeared to be more sluggish and required more effort.

Was I just had by T1R parts that just replicate OEM/JDM parts for less?

Despite this negative opinion, I drove to the gym in Alhambra the other night. I normally use the freeway connector from the 134E to the Del Mar freeway. The intersecting ramp has a decent sized curve. That's when I noticed that it did make a slight difference.

Normally, I felt that I could safely speed on this curve at 45 mph, however with the sway bar mounted, I could now do 60 mph approx. This was on stock springs/struts btw. So I guess the sway bar did make some marginal improvements.

I just wanted to add this review for those interested in getting this item or had questions about it. Labor install for this item at market rates would be $120.

Rating: 3 out 5.

continued to: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-suspension-brakes/35871-js-racing-c-pillar-review-fit-gd3.html

Last edited by junktea1; 12-16-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
nice job dude

Old 12-12-2008, 03:20 AM
5 Year Member
check your endlinks because you installed it wrong probably if it is making sounds. I have it on my car and it works perfectly, no sounds and no flaws whatsoever...there are benefits to the front sway and the rear sway so it all comes down to driving style.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:25 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by umiekun
check your endlinks because you installed it wrong probably if it is making sounds. I have it on my car and it works perfectly, no sounds and no flaws whatsoever...there are benefits to the front sway and the rear sway so it all comes down to driving style.
how could it be installed wrong? look at the photos. it only goes one way. there is no alternative way to mount it. the only alternative is where the bushings are placed. the sound is not excessive. i only hear it when the car goes over a speed bump

Last edited by junktea1; 12-12-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
Then overlook the one way installation with the sway because that's probably true that it only goes in a certain way... but if something is clanking then something is loose cuz for sure it's not the bar I can guarantee you that...I would have the same problem if it was. Endlinks and bushings would be the only things I can think of that would make that sound...other than that something went wrong during installation.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
I helped with umiekun's install. It happened in my garage

when we installed his, there was more room between the LCA and the sway bar than what you have pictured. i wish we had taken pictures so i could compare our install to yours

Old 12-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by junktea1
I then called AJ Racing to verify this. I believe I spoke to Ben. Ben was well... lost for words... he said 'none of our customers have had trouble with it... how do I install it?... just slide it through and take off the wheels."

Clearly, Ben was not a mechanic and had no clue whatsoever. Its impossible to slide the bar through based upon the grooves, the hubs, and the muffler.
I can't help but agree with BOTH of these statements. It is not a simple "slide the old one out, then slide the new one in" install. uh uh!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by gimme
I helped with umiekun's install. It happened in my garage

when we installed his, there was more room between the LCA and the sway bar than what you have pictured. i wish we had taken pictures so i could compare our install to yours
i'll have to check with my technician tomorrow. everything was put back the same way as it was when removed. do we have the same year of manufacture? mine is an 08'

Old 12-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
hey Junk,

I am 99% sure that David's (umiekun) was a 2008. I know for a fact it was an Auto though.

We installed it, then 2 weeks later we took it off because he was selling the car. Then he ended up giving it with the car.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
a stiffer front sway bar will create understeer...which explains your sluggish steering.
if you upgraded teh rear sway bar and then added the t1r front bar, you negated anything you may have gained from just doing the rear.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NIGHTHAWKSI
a stiffer front sway bar will create understeer...which explains your sluggish steering.
if you upgraded teh rear sway bar and then added the t1r front bar, you negated anything you may have gained from just doing the rear.
yep.. front sway bars create more understeer. a rear sway bar would have lessened the understeer and improve handling