Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

EG civic calipers on Fit/Jazz?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:24 AM
Smile

I would try it first with proportioning valve already on it, see how it feels. On my '92 civic dx,replaced drums with disc. Before forking out cash for a new proportioning valve, I tried it, worked just fine (raced it). Of course, take it easy when trying it!

Last edited by jamesracing; 02-24-2006 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by jamesracing
I would try it first with proportioning valve already on it, see how it feels. On my '92 civic dx,replaced drums with disc. Before forking out cash for a new proportioning valve, I tried it, worked just fine (raced it). Of course, take it easy when trying it!
The brake bias of the proportioning valve for an eg is 30/60 for eg with drum brakes and 40/40 for 99-00 civic si/sirs (dohc vtec) vehicles. The proportioning valve from any integra or civic b-series cars will do a better job then the stock proportioning valve.

Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 PM
What's your definition of "better" or why is it better?

Old 02-27-2006, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Concerning proportioning valves, Does the percent need to equal 100% I thought that the numbers represented the precentage of pressure split from rear to front. I.E. 70% front to 30% rear of the total master cylinder brake pressure?

Old 03-05-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by jamesracing
What's your definition of "better" or why is it better?
Well the reason why its better is because you will get even braking with the type-r, gsr, sir setup. Hence even braking force to all four corners. Better for autocross. But really depends upon application (chassy choice and motor).

Old 03-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by IN2TURBOS
Concerning proportioning valves, Does the percent need to equal 100% I thought that the numbers represented the precentage of pressure split from rear to front. I.E. 70% front to 30% rear of the total master cylinder brake pressure?
Sorry a correction to one of my previous post was there was a typo. I meant to say 30/30 not 30/60.

No the percentage does not need to equal 100% because that is not the percentage of brake force distribution but rather a code to indicate that 40/40 prop valve came on 4 wheel disc cars such as (itrs, sirs, gsrs, etc). 40/30 prop valve indicates cars with front discs and rear drums.

Old 03-06-2006, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by blacksirek
But really depends upon application (chassy choice and motor).
.......tires, rotors, brakelines, brake fluid, vehicle corner weights, road surface and the drivers input.
This is my point, why not try it first without spending the extra cash and labor. Everyone online told me I needed a gsr proportioning valve, but for my application I didn't need it.
Stoptech's website has a great wright up on balanced brake bias.

Old 03-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by claymore
But you don't want equal pressure to the rear wheels.
Just because the stamped number on the part is repeated, it doesn't mean that the same amount of pressure is sent to the front and rear calipers.

On my 1992 Integra GS-R, the front calipers probably hold twice the amount of fluid as the rears (hard to tell without doing a proper measurement). There's no way that the rears are getting the same amount of brake fluid.

I've driven a friends Civic that was converted to rear disks, he's still using the proportioning valve for the rear drums. I didn't like the way the car felt under aggressive breaking. He didn't know what I was talking about until I brought him out in my bone stock 1992 Integra GS 4 door, and told him to break hard in a corner. Then he understood.

Old 03-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by claymore
But you don't want equal pressure to the rear wheels. If the brakes receive the same pressure the rear will lock up faster than the front because there is much less weight causing very poor braking and possible spin out. How do you think we rig skid cars to spin, easy just lock the rear brakes first and the rear becomes very unstable. You never want to lock both the fornt and rear at the same time you ALWAYS need the front to lock easier or you will have big problems.
Listen who said the rears were locking before the fronts. That doesn't make sense. I simply mean that when a car has rear drums they require more pressure to activate them and not that they engage before the front brakes do. Disc brakes work evenly (pressure wise & depends on the prop valve) and thus applying the same breaking pressure to all fours will work to aid stable braking. Also front brakes are always larger so they will take the brunt of the stopping force first.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:20 AM
Sleeper,

i tried swapping the EG brake rotors onto the front wheel hub of the fit Aria but the offset is different. i didnt check further if the calipers would be a bolt on swap. so i guess any bolt-on swap on the EG civic front wont work bolt-on with the fit.