Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Rear camber

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:41 AM
iHardpark
thanks alot guys Travis u have been PMed

im just really new at this camber thing since i have never done it on any of my car my rim right now is a 6 1/2 i want to get it to an 8 inch rim or 8 1/2 if can so that means slapping on a 2 inch lip or a 2 1/2 if i can go 3 ill go 3 lol and get them to sit flush with a nice stretch on the tires you get me . i just need help in the rear i got the fronts under control the rear is what is confusing me
..." dam werid ass fit suspension"

thanks again guys

Old 12-09-2008, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member
^^Hahaha I got you. Give me a little while and I'll pm you pics of what I am talking about plus rim width and specs...

Old 12-09-2008, 11:41 AM
iHardpark
oh ok cool dude thanks where can i buy that thing at tho i searched it up on the web and came up empty handed and i need it bad because all my parts are on the way from Germany minus my lips because idk what i can run until i camber the rear and get an alighment to get the most camber i can in the front

Old 12-09-2008, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
^pm'd back

Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Hey Fit4Trav-

Did you end up buying the kit that Felix has from Japan? Is it the Aeroover kit?

I may have to ask a buddy in Japan to go look for the same kit or to check if they make a 5 or 8 degree kit.

Originally Posted by Fit4Trav
^^Towelie..pm me. I'll explain it to ya. I have a good grasp on the Camber thing (math) and I bought the kit that Felixy had =)

Oh yeah I also have the SPC shims...after I saw them and held them in my hand i said "NO"

Old 12-09-2008, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
They only make a -3*

Old 12-10-2008, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
i bet if someone bought a lot of those kits and sold them they would make a huge profit. i would def spend some money for this item. but i dont know anyone in japan.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Previc93
i bet if someone bought a lot of those kits and sold them they would make a huge profit. i would def spend some money for this item. but i dont know anyone in japan.
The only downside...they are expensive to buy initially so in order to sell them for some profit would make them even more expensive.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by towelie
ok so im kinda lost after reading all this stuff lol i know alot about car i just got the ez shim rear camber kit what do i need to do to get thm to work so i can camber my rear rims?? has anyone used them before? becasue i really need to camber them to fit my bbs

i was gonna go the washer route but i know its very dangerous what hub does felix have?? ive asked him before but he just told me he used washers i need help in this camber and suspension is not really my strongest field of expertise

What in the world makes you think washers are dangerous? you'll really be frightened if you knew how much your car is brought to 'spec' by washers or shims, which the same thing. If you think about it the hub is held to the axle backplate by 4 bolts, one at each corner. So there is no support except at the bolts.and only then for about 1/4" around the bolt.
And 1" ODx9/16" ID washers are far more accurate than tapered plates unless you want to spend a lot of money maching plates instead of choosing washers.. I went back and looked at the 3 cars we adjusted the camber and toe after squaring the axle and the cost of tapered plates would cost 30 times as much not including the tech time.
You are strongly advised if suspensions are 'not your strongest suit' to leave it to others who are. And take a bag of money.
Adjusting camber and toe on a Fit is far more complicated than changing springs.

Last edited by mahout; 12-10-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Previc93

The problem is the cost.
here's an example: BEWARE THIS EXAMPLE WILL NOT WORK FOR YOUR FIT SO DON"T TRY TO APPLY IT TO YOURS. It's just an example.
Our first measurements on a left rear wheel indicated that the top front bolt would have to be shimmed
.011; the top rear bolt would require a .014" shim; the lower front bolt .025: and the bottom rear bolt .027".
The final shims after 2 refits and two remeasures when the Fit was put back in road trim was .009",.012", .022", and .026" respectively. Nothing mechanical ever goes back exactly as it came apart. One shot just doesn't do it And the shim thicknesses aren't that thick.
Now think about the machining required to produce those 3 plates at 1 hour apiece. For most shops thats $250 or more.
The 1" OD x9/16" ID stainless steel washers cost $12.88 with tax. Add at least 3 hours for tech time transporting the plates back and forth compared to 30 minutes filing down one washer each bolt (using a power sander) and you begin to see why you can't really afford 'kits'. And why suppliers know better than get in a market they know they will be woefully over priced.
PS to get -3 deg camber you'd need a shim difference of about .150" top to bottom and yes that is a nuts as some of the lowering jobs shown here with pride.
Competence always outshines cool.

Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit4Trav
The only downside...they are expensive to buy initially so in order to sell them for some profit would make them even more expensive.

Well i know that. it pays to know who you know.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks

Hey, good info on this...I was wondering because, I am a noob to ur info. If im planning on daily/track driving my car but, need cambering, which is best to go with, shims or washers. Not worried about the labor part, i can find someone.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Squad808 Fit
Hey, good info on this...I was wondering because, I am a noob to ur info. If im planning on daily/track driving my car but, need cambering, which is best to go with, shims or washers. Not worried about the labor part, i can find someone.

If you are a noob at suspension design and alignment get someone who is to do it.
Otherwise. you have a good chance of your car being on the lift at your honda dealer, at best. It is light years from a back yard mechanic's efforts.
PS: washers are shims when washers have a specified thickness. Typically shims are open to one side, like a 'U'and washers closed as 'O's, but both can be used as shims with washers a trifle safer as they can't 'slide' out. What makes either to be shims is the requirement for a specified thickness.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by towelie
thanks alot guys Travis u have been PMed

im just really new at this camber thing since i have never done it on any of my car my rim right now is a 6 1/2 i want to get it to an 8 inch rim or 8 1/2 if can so that means slapping on a 2 inch lip or a 2 1/2 if i can go 3 ill go 3 lol and get them to sit flush with a nice stretch on the tires you get me . i just need help in the rear i got the fronts under control the rear is what is confusing me
..." dam werid ass fit suspension"

thanks again guys

Nothing 'weird-ass' about the suspension, its the 'weird-ass' things you want to do with it.