Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

a ton of questions??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member
a ton of questions??

ahah. just wandering do i need to go rent a spring compressor to do my springs??? yes? do i get the mcpherson ones? I've lowered many civics, integras, and accords on coilover system which didnt require a spring compressor. I havent even inspect the Fit's suspension setup yet. although its differ.....it still should be pretty straight forward i assume

Old 07-24-2008, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
The fronts are just like any other Honda; They're preloaded so to be safe you can use a compressor. If you've swapped out springs before *without* a springs compressor, you'll be ok without one.

The rears are a bit different because the springs are separate from the shocks BUT the rears are very easy; should only take 10min. For both sides. There's only one bolt on each side that needs to be removed in order to take the springs out. Just take out that bolt and have someone push the rear tire down while u pull out the spring.

Note: when doing the fronts make sure you support the axcel so the dont pop out on you.

Good luck with the install. Should only take 45minutes - 1 hour to get the job done

Last edited by JamesBizzle; 07-24-2008 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
a tip from "ciburri"...from me..to you...

Hey fork_nSpoon,

I was lazy, even though I have a set of spring compressors, I decided to remove my front springs without using the compressor. I found that the springs didn't cause too much drama when it finally let loose, but if you want to be safe, then use the tool for what it was designed to do.
Like JamesBizzle says, support the axle. I used a couple of cargo straps. I got that idea from one of ciburri's posts. If you like, check out the slide show I posted. Pay attention to slide #7, you can see how I used the cargo straps to suspend the axle:

ImageShack(TM) slideshow

Good luck,
-macbuddy-

Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
i've never swaped springs before without a spring compressor. I've lowered many cars before without a spring compressor because one wasnt needed. That is because the coiloverkits/dampers came assembled with everything.

i was never a fan of springs we'll see how the eibachs roll.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I rented spring compressors, but they were almost more of a hassle than they were useful in the end. You can do the job without them, but better to have them handy just in case.

It wasn't a big deal for me, basically I rented them from a Napa and they took a 100$ deposit. Then when I finished they put the deposit back on my credit card... no cost for renting.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:59 AM
Fa1
If you have done the older double wishbone honda's without a compressor, the macpherson's are a joke.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fork_nSpoon
ahah. just wandering do i need to go rent a spring compressor to do my springs??? yes? do i get the mcpherson ones? I've lowered many civics, integras, and accords on coilover system which didnt require a spring compressor. I havent even inspect the Fit's suspension setup yet. although its differ.....it still should be pretty straight forward i assume

Always use a spring compressior...properly. Shorter than stock soprings may not need them but stock always do.
rent one or buy one for $20-30. The number of DIY's that end up in an emergency room with spring injuries is legion.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fork_nSpoon
i didn't use one. but it was done with two other guys. when the spring pops up for the first time, it just surprises you, but as long as its done with common sense, it should be fine

Old 07-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by saiko
i didn't use one. but it was done with two other guys. when the spring pops up for the first time, it just surprises you, but as long as its done with common sense, it should be fine
typically common sense would be to use a spring compressor and
wear safety glasses... like i did.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:22 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
hahah well the guy i did it with work on my other friends fit. so i guess he had experience as well? haha