Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

stupid question: Coil over vs just Spring

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:35 PM
stupid question: Coil over vs just Spring

What are the differences between a set of coil over and just the spring set?
ride comfort? corning? high speed? what else?

Thanks

Old 05-27-2008, 03:58 PM
5 Year Member
No need to ask, coilover is the best.. Lowering springs are just for look. Dont expect about the performance.

In the end, it really depend on how much $$ you are willing to spend.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:03 PM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
coilovers are meant to work together
some are adjustable some are not
they can range from 800-2000 but they provide the best results as far as stability, cornering and comfort (depending on spring rate)

springs are mainly looks but if alignment is tuned well they can yeild better than OEM results.
range from 180-250 at the expense of OEM struts on a timebomb of eventually failing.

most people go with the spring option and then upgrade to coilovers

-Ricky

Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Coils are your best bet at comfort, cornering, etc etc. IMO springs are a waste of money especially since the OEM settings on the fit are pretty damn good.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=alexfree05;321013]

Thanks

The springs are pretty much the same whether coil over or not. The difference is the ability to adjust the ride height with adjustable coil seats. The springs have to carry the weight over a given range of motion and the shocks control how quickly the motion occurs.
So there's not much difference in comfortable ride. If the shocks are adjustable there may be an advantage there just because you can select a softer shock setting.

Last edited by mahout; 05-27-2008 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 PM
[quote=mahout;321462]
Originally Posted by alexfree05

Thanks

The springs are pretty much the same whether coil over or not. The difference is the ability to adjust the ride height with adjustable coil seats. The springs have to carry the weight over a given range of motion and the shocks control how quickly the motion occurs.
So there's not much difference in comfortable ride. If the shocks are adjustable there may be an advantage there just because you can select a softer shock setting.
Coilovers are a much better option then just replacing the springs with a lowering kit. However the best option is to replace with a true suspension setup....coilovers can be harsh for everyday driving pending the setup you select, not to mention you must be careful when going over potholes, etc. with a coilover setup.
Going with a separate sport/race strut with a matched spring pending your application is the best option....then you do not have to worry about a bad ride or potholes, etc....they are more expensive but worth it! Not sure if they are or have this option for the FIT.

tonyd

Old 05-27-2008, 10:43 PM
actually I am looking for some coilover kit that is comfortable for daily driving. And also has nice cornering.

I am currently using Tein S Tech Spring, I think it is very buncy.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
skunk2 coilovers + progress rear swaybar = sex on wheels :P

Old 05-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
skunk2 coilovers + progress rear swaybar = sex on wheels :P
i have the RSB already =]

how's the shunk2 coilovers?

Old 05-27-2008, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
awesome. im taking turns at at least twice the suggested speedlimit :P. i hardly brake anymore. good for mileage as well.

the skunk2's are damper adjustable as well. so you can fine tune the "bounce" of it.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member
Alex, what you are needing with those Tein's is a nicely valved strut in the front and quick responding shock in the back. Unfortunately, the Tokico's that just came out are about equal to stock. Without adjustable struts/shocks on the market, the coilover solution may be about all there is if you really want to get serious. Some of the newer "real complete coilovers" (not just coilover springs by themselves) allow you to raise and lower the car without affecting the spring rate or strut performance. These are Skunk2, HKS and Endurotech. They may be another, but recently these are the ones that are talked about the most. Enduro is the least expensive route while the HKS and Skunk2 are close to the same in pricing. Big difference in the price points also. I believe $800 then right up to $1300 or a little more.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by radareclipse
Alex, what you are needing with those Tein's is a nicely valved strut in the front and quick responding shock in the back. Unfortunately, the Tokico's that just came out are about equal to stock. Without adjustable struts/shocks on the market, the coilover solution may be about all there is if you really want to get serious. Some of the newer "real complete coilovers" (not just coilover springs by themselves) allow you to raise and lower the car without affecting the spring rate or strut performance. These are Skunk2, HKS and Endurotech. They may be another, but recently these are the ones that are talked about the most. Enduro is the least expensive route while the HKS and Skunk2 are close to the same in pricing. Big difference in the price points also. I believe $800 then right up to $1300 or a little more.
Well put....

tonyd

Old 05-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by radareclipse
thanks man!!

but i search the internet, seems the shunk2 coilovers are not for fit?

Old 05-28-2008, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going Skunk myself. Go to Skunk2 Racing - Aftermarket performance parts for the Sport Compact enthusiast.
Scroll down the left side in the gray boxes. The second item below the exhaust that is pictured says, "Honda Fit PRO-C Coilovers now available!"
Good luck and have fun!
Here's the direct link: New Product Release: Pro-C Coilover 2007+ Honda Fit

Old 05-28-2008, 01:51 PM
cool
thanks!

Does anyone can share the picture of your fit with shunk2 coilover?

Old 05-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by alexfree05
actually I am looking for some coilover kit that is comfortable for daily driving. And also has nice cornering.

I am currently using Tein S Tech Spring, I think it is very buncy.
IF your in the market for coilovers and want them for a daily driver, I think (and some others here also) you would find the Endura-Tech Coilovers to be a very nice fit for your Fit (no pun intended). Comfort level is very ideal, lowered stance, height adjustable. What these do not offer that others take into consideration is rebound adjustability. But for the price, I think you would be pleasantly surprised with them and the dampening is set up ideally for DD.
PM if you would like a price, which you could find at our website below.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Endura-Tech
IF your in the market for coilovers and want them for a daily driver, I think (and some others here also) you would find the Endura-Tech Coilovers to be a very nice fit for your Fit (no pun intended). Comfort level is very ideal, lowered stance, height adjustable. What these do not offer that others take into consideration is rebound adjustability. But for the price, I think you would be pleasantly surprised with them and the dampening is set up ideally for DD.
PM if you would like a price, which you could find at our website below.
I checked out your website...in the market for some kinda suspension setup. Currently running just the SKUNK2 lowering springs and my poor struts have had it.....after about 11k miles.
What is the pricing on the GD3 FIT coilovers?
Where do they ship from?
What sort of shipping?
How long do you back your product?
Does it come with all required hardware for install?

Thx tonyd

Old 05-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by tonyd3773
I checked out your website...in the market for some kinda suspension setup. Currently running just the SKUNK2 lowering springs and my poor struts have had it.....after about 11k miles.
What is the pricing on the GD3 FIT coilovers?
Where do they ship from?
What sort of shipping?
How long do you back your product?
Does it come with all required hardware for install?

Thx tonyd
Thanks for checking out our site.
The pricing is stated under the Honda Fit coilovers. Currently running free shipping on these for the next few weeks. They ship from Chicago as that is where we are located. They come with a 12K, 1 year warranty. All the hardware for the installation is included and the installation manual is very clear and precise. You should not have a problem with them at all.
Send me a PM if your interested and we can get you taken care of.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:07 PM
are endura techs smoother than the smoothest setting on the pro-c's?

Old 06-01-2008, 11:25 AM
5 Year Member
You would have to have someone own both of those sets to properly evaluate that. Don't think anyone has at this point. There are strong positive views from owners of both at this point.

Quick Reply: stupid question: Coil over vs just Spring