Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Progress Springs Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Progress Springs Install

Well everything was going well until my axel popped out now my car is just jacked up outside until morning because i'm too frustrated to deal with it... does anyone have any suggestions for getting the axel back in place? I can't get the two bolts from the strut to line up with the hub because i'm assuming the axel is out.. i get the bottom bolt in but the top bolt is off by about 1/2 inch or so... any help would be awesome.. i've started taking pics to do a DIY and review so as soon as i'm done the install i'll post them up.. until then can someone please give me some comforting words of advice

Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 AM
wow noone can help me out here? I guess this hasn't happened to anyone else...

Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
no gmane, it's happened too many times to everyone that didn't read
the posts here.

have not happened to me yet.

run a search, also ciburri and saiko also had some info on how to put it
back together.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
You just have to be patient when trying to get the axle back in. Did you try putting a jack under the arm? My axle popped out and I was getting frustrated. What I did was support the whole arm with a jack and was jacking it up and down and then moving the arm side to side. Inside the axle boot there are 3 pins with 3 ball bearings. The balls bearing don't want to go inside the axle boot unless they are line up perfectly. I actually took the boot sleeve off to take a look at it. Just play with it til it goes in easy. Do not try to force the axle in as you may damage the bearings. It's also possible that you myave not have popped the axle out. Put a jack under the arm and move it up a little and turn the arm to see if it will line up. Also make sure that you didn't leave the whole arm attached to the front sway bar.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys.. well patient is an understatement I finally got one front side on =).. now for the second side which should be easier.. and for the record i did read the posts before attempting to try this and i was as cautious as could be i proped up the hub with a spare jack to try and avoid the axel popping out but low and behold it did... so a word of advice use some long string or rope and tie the hub up over the fender to something inthe engine bay and that should help but make sure the hub doesn't spin and release the tension of the rope or your screwed...

The other question i had is i've read that some people cut the rubber bung/stopper down its obviously not necessary but what benefit is it if any?

Old 04-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I did the progress swap too, and on one side, I had to pull the axle out a bit to get the struts lined up, but I made sure not to ROTATE the axle. It slid back in no problemo. I would think that your best bet is to continue getting the stut lined up the way you want, then work that axle back in.

Last edited by Bahumut; 04-10-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by gmane
The other question i had is i've read that some people cut the rubber bung/stopper down its obviously not necessary but what benefit is it if any?

The reason to cut the rubber piece is to increase the travel of your shocks. Since the car get lowered due to smaller springs you decreased it's travel. By cutting an inch or so from the rubber stopper you're giving it one more inch of travel. Some people might not have problems but it varies on your roads. If it's really bumping or there are big dips you'll most likely hit the bump stop. I cut the fronts but haven't cut the rears. I usually don't have any passengers in the rear.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:42 PM
hmm so go through the headache again to cut the stops or just leave it as is.. I think i'm just gonna leave it as is for now cause i really dont' reall like going through that mission again.. although i am about to do the other side..

Old 04-10-2008, 02:55 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
you should cut the bumpstops front and back by around 20mm for
better street drivability. otherwise your ride could just bounce off
the bumpstops over each larger bump.

also rememeber that if your corner hard and hit the bumpstops
your ride will understeer terribly as the strut/shock will have no
more travel and will put all that lateral G on the tires.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Okay here is the latest update.. the second side was a breeze.. the trick is to place a piece of wood under two of the hub screws and then remove the strut that way the hub stays in place.. everything else is cake..

Now for the problems:

1.) I jacked up the disk but had the jack too far under it and i bent the aluminum plate behind the disk. (not a big deal i just bent it back into place)

2.) On the first side I did (drivers side) when i'm driving I hear a clunking sound that i can feel in the pedals. I have no idea what it could be cause everything is bolted down tightly. Maybe the axel? anyone have experience with this? Everything is screwed in and the springs are seated properly, the rubber stopper is in... I don't think the sound is coming from the springs/strut sounds more toward the middle of the car so i'm guessing the axel..

Last edited by gmane; 04-10-2008 at 05:10 PM.