Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Coilover Comparison Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned
"I'm planning on buying Endura-tech's. I like what Kenchan has to say about them, and I drive my car everywhere, and a lot of roads nearby are bumpy/cracked as hell, so I don't want stiff-ass springs. Besides, I like their website design lol"

Hey thanks for the good feedback on the website design. Let us know when your ready to make that move on the coilovers. I am here to assist you.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Avid FitFreak Poster
5 Year Member
Can someone explain what spring rate is?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by saiko
My cliffnotes version

How soft or stiff a spring is compressed when made.

Im sure others can give you a more detailed explanation. and what it actually does.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by saiko
Well, spring rate is the amount of force it would take to compress the spring x amount of inches. For example, if you had a 336#/in spring (also known as a 6k spring) It would take you 336 lbs. to compress the spring 1 inch. If that spring was 8 inches in length, it would take 2,688 pounds of force or weight to make that spring solid (also called coil bind), in which all the coils of the spring would be compressed and touching one another.

For all those that would like to know, the calculation to convert a kg to pound spring is this: k / .01785 = #/in. So if the spring is a 5k spring then the conversion would be 5/.01785= 280 #/in.

If you wanted to get really technical, the definition of Spring rate is: "The difference in dynamic force resulting from a spring + and - amplitude of 10mm divided by 2,050 as to obtain the average rate in N/mm for this range." As stated by the "Spring Design Manual 2nd ed."

But to simplify that further, Spring Rate is the change in load per unit of deflection.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member
Well my explanation looks like a 1st graders answer compared to that

Old 07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Fit4Trav
Well my explanation looks like a 1st graders answer compared to that
LOL. I just graduated from Jr. High So we have a few years between us.

I just happened to have the more technical comments at my finger tips, but the first comments and the conversion rate I readily hold in my noggin'.

Cheers

Old 07-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jazzista
Hi Kenchan,
I'm just trying to understand any drawback on wife's and children comfort when adopting endura tech coilovers on her small fit/jazz.

Given all the benefits (I would expect less rolling above all of the rear of the car) do you think the car might exhibit a too stiffer/hasher behaviour?

Another question is about height reduction with enduratechs. Is it fixed or one can choice?

TIA,

Stefano
sorry didnt see this post until this morning 7/16... as far as comfort
there are really no drawbacks. i carry my little ones with me in the
FitS and they have never complained about comfort. Even the wife
said the car felt very smooth. there is really no harsh or stiffer
behavior. was a different story when i had the DF210's. those were
smooth until you hit a bump. most coilovers out there ride fine until
you hit a bigger bump. with the EnduraTechs you can hit a big bump
and still feel fine.

you can set the height of the EnduraTechs at factory, above factory,
or below factory to about a 2" drop. it's a very verstile setup.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
I'm planning on buying Endura-tech's. I like what Kenchan has to say about them, and I drive my car everywhere, and a lot of roads nearby are bumpy/cracked as hell, so I don't want stiff-ass springs. Besides, I like their website design lol
yah, with the EnduraTechs you dont need to choose which roads to
take. wish i could say that about my modded cooper-s.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
the endura techs are sounding more and more tempting.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Hello,
many thanks for your great answer. Time to look for funds

Ciao,

Stefano

Old 07-25-2008, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
coilovers

Has anyone ever had/tried/rode in a car with AME Engineering coilovers? Locally made in Washington state from aluminum, shock bodies anyhow. Trying to find someone with a ride report on them. I called and they are priced at $985 shipped. He will give you whatever spring rate you desire after he speaks to you, what kind of driving you will be doing. Sounds like it is too good to be true!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rocksnap
Has anyone ever had/tried/rode in a car with AME Engineering coilovers? Locally made in Washington state from aluminum, shock bodies anyhow. Trying to find someone with a ride report on them. I called and they are priced at $985 shipped. He will give you whatever spring rate you desire after he speaks to you, what kind of driving you will be doing. Sounds like it is too good to be true!
This could have saved me loads of aggravation dealing with Ellis engineering before I even ventured into doing my other choices as they became available.
I paid Ellis about $650 or so for 2 struts and 2 shocks. Ellis was nothing but broken promises that later lead to failing health, blah, blah, blah.
What's AME's website?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radareclipse
This could have saved me loads of aggravation dealing with Ellis engineering before I even ventured into doing my other choices as they became available.
I paid Ellis about $650 or so for 2 struts and 2 shocks. Ellis was nothing but broken promises that later lead to failing health, blah, blah, blah.
What's AME's website?
who is AME?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Just received Skunk2's. Will install this weekend and post feedback. I drive like 800 miles a week so it shouldn't take long to see how these handle.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:14 AM
Had Tein Basics for almost a year now, dropped 2 1/4" all around. You can drop close to 3" in the front and 2 3/4" in the rear. The numbers given on Tein's website are their "reference height" which is what the combo was designed to work optimally at.

Ride for the first week was harsh. then it levelled out to a solid but well damped feel. handlign became MUCH more neutral than stock thanks to the very stiff rear springs. Body roll is minimal and the car barely has any understeer, which is impressive for just a coilover set with such a front heavy car.

The Cons are nly height adjustable. Not good enough for serious track use. Great for daily driving and spirited drives.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Evidently AME is AMR Engineering and they have a whole bag of issues based on feedback on other forums.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:39 PM
Hey Endura-Tech (Justin) I am looking to get those coilovers soon. I can't wait long time coming. Kenchan I finally ordered the the Endura-Tech's can't wait. When TopSpeed does the install plus the corner balancing I will post. Take care

Old 07-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Injundon
Had Tein Basics for almost a year now, dropped 2 1/4" all around. You can drop close to 3" in the front and 2 3/4" in the rear. The numbers given on Tein's website are their "reference height" which is what the combo was designed to work optimally at.

Ride for the first week was harsh. then it levelled out to a solid but well damped feel. handlign became MUCH more neutral than stock thanks to the very stiff rear springs. Body roll is minimal and the car barely has any understeer, which is impressive for just a coilover set with such a front heavy car.

The Cons are nly height adjustable. Not good enough for serious track use. Great for daily driving and spirited drives.
Can I see a picture of the drop on your car? I been trying to decided what to get. I rather pay more to get what I want then get something cheaper and regret it later.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 PM
Name:  IMG_3217-0.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  78.3 KB

there ya go.. one pic with Tein drop.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks. Is it able to go any lower? Thats kinda what Im dropped at.

Quick Reply: Coilover Comparison Thread