Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Coilover Comparison Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Good response Kenchan.... actually, making my decision harder. Was gonna order the GF210's next week for my new Fit, thinking I might do coilovers down the road (was looking at the Skunk2 or Tien Basics). Wish the Enduratech's were avail now.... is there a price on them yet? Deals for FitFreakers?

Old 03-29-2008, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
well see thats another issue, canyon driving vs real competition driving arent even close. My post was aim at real track driving, where even the endratech would fall short with soft rates (along with the T1R otc rates of 6k) But at least the T1R damper is track proven and can be valved or handle higher rates. I was ignorant about that brand and have no problem admiting it. But when I talking about a performance suspension, i dont think about the sunday drive in the canyon thats all.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:53 AM
5 Year Member
most people that want a full blown race car dont buy a fit. stop arguing. if someone wants competition coilovers they know the ones posted in the original post arent the best options. MOST of us fit owners daily drive our cars so insanely stiff springs/struts arent necessary but some people like myself like the adjustability of coilovers.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by c_mack9
most people that want a full blown race car dont buy a fit. stop arguing. if someone wants competition coilovers they know the ones posted in the original post arent the best options. MOST of us fit owners daily drive our cars so insanely stiff springs/struts arent necessary but some people like myself like the adjustability of coilovers.
Thank you.

This thread started as a simple layout of options and as usual one nay-sayer with needs matching MAYBE 5% of the people here came in and redirected the whole discussion.

IMO: If what he is saying is true about valves blowing after a year, than he's effectively saying that these companies are mere hucksters and liars looking to turn a quick buck. I for one do not believe that to be the case with companies like Skunk2, T1R, Endura-Tech...These guys know they are finished if their products fail in such a short amount of time, and the investment they have put into developing, packaging, marketing a highly niche-market item like coilovers for Honda Fits would NEVER be worth it and they would have a terrible reputation in no time and simply put these guys are not that stupid.

I have the Skunk2 Pro-C and have posted an extensive review of them in this forum from the DD viewpoint primarily. If you are not on the track regularly, every suspension tuning professional I have personally spoken with said things like corner weighting and wild alignment specs are simply not necessary-- you will not notice it on DD type spirited driving. And I was MORE than willing to pay for the corner weighting-- another $150 was a non-issue to me, but was advised that it really was not necessary for my driving style.

I really hate when people try to tell me things or make statements like "save your money" in that self-righteous know-it-all tone or imply that I (we) am an idiot for spending money on something like they have all the answers. General statements about companies "quality" are pretty irking too. Back it up with something already. For more than most here their Fit is not a fu**king race car. It's 100% fine to share any opinion, but get a new thread going on "suspension tuning and coilovers for track performance" or something.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
I for one do not believe that to be the case with companies like Skunk2, T1R, Endura-Tech..

These are the companies that i said HAD a decent setup besides the endura tech which i was uneducated on. I did back up my statements about the cheap koren coilovers which i have first hand experience with and also with tein. Im sorry if im in the mind set that if you want a car to look good then just worry about the looks and keep it performing like stock. If i want it to perform well, then i go with the setup that it will make perform the best. Why would i buy something that will make it handle a little better then stock but nothing crazy.

From MY experience everyone likes the adjustability but never adjust anything, they set it once and are done. I dont think im better then anyone else. Just the cheapest way to have the look i want just isnt want coilovers are about. i said my peace, continue on with the list

Old 03-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SHG_Mike
well see thats another issue, canyon driving vs real competition driving arent even close. My post was aim at real track driving, where even the endratech would fall short with soft rates (along with the T1R otc rates of 6k) But at least the T1R damper is track proven and can be valved or handle higher rates. I was ignorant about that brand and have no problem admiting it. But when I talking about a performance suspension, i dont think about the sunday drive in the canyon thats all.
yep, you and i are on a different playing field. i think with your expertise
with the racing world you can bring us a lot of good feedback on extreme
applications. ill be concentrating on street apps.

good to have info from both sides.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Are Endura-Techs only height adjustable like the Tien Basics?

Old 03-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by its.ryu
Are Endura-Techs only height adjustable like the Tien Basics?
yep, height adjustment only.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Im not a pro racer like many of you are but am a spirited driver (ie. NOOB) i do want to lower my car on something that will be worth it and DURABLE. Right now i have swift springs to give my car a lowered look but didnt put them on yet because i didnt want to install them and have the OEM shocks go out on me and have to replace it within a year. i feel that the stock ride of the fit is a bit too soft for and i want to to have it lowered as well as it being a bit stiffer. what are some suggestion?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:24 PM
What about Cusco and when is Progress and Tanabe's coming out?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Seriously thinking about getting the KW's. Problem is who has them. The initial drop is only .3 and.9 with out touching the ride hight. Havent heard anything about Cusco but Im shying away from them because ive heard enough of that stuff through my subaru years.
If Im going to race in STS i might as well get my ass handed to me with some dignity

Old 05-08-2008, 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by Evil XT
Seriously thinking about getting the KW's. Problem is who has them. The initial drop is only .3 and.9 with out touching the ride hight.
here goes another person with ride height. :P
sorry i just had to say it.
anyway. i'm also looking into KW's, but like you said - no one has them! lol. i don't want to be the first person to get it and have it suck. lol. i'm pretty sold on the pro-c coilovers to, but i love kw's on other apps (friend has an evo with kw's and the car handles and rides like reverse cowgirl - f cking awesome) .
pretty much what i'm saying is from personal experience, kw's were awesome... but that was for an evo. and this is for a fit. two different cars.
MPG motoring was selling them at the group buy forum, and i posted to see if they would release dyno charts for the valving, which they do not. and i wanted to see if they had any sort of reviews... which they do not (tunerzine went with kw's and did a little writeup install, but no review).

the kw v2's are height adjustable and damper adjustable, right? what levels of damper adjustability do they offer? what are their ots rates? can rates be customized?

so hopefully someone can review the kw v2's, or i'm just going to stick with the pro-c's..

sorry if i thread jacked.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
I just removed my KW's. I have been miserable with them. Noise, clankiness, bobbing, bottoming, etc........ Horrific design for the Fit. Stay away from them! I have been waiting for struts/shocks to hit the market and use with regular drop springs since I installed the KW's. I personally think the Fit KW application was not specifically designed for the Fit. It's like they took some parameters and modified them via measurements and came up with something for the Fit.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by methodbasic
Name..........................................Drop F/R.........................................Spring Rate F/R......................~Price
Tein BASIC Coilovers......................-1.9/-1.5............................................... ......4/6...............................891.00
Where did you find Tein Basics for that much just out of curiosity?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:55 AM
5 Year Member
does anyone know why the spring rates are stiffer in the rear then the front?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by JaySmith
Where did you find Tein Basics for that much just out of curiosity?
originally from here:

Tein BASIC Coilover Kit : Honda Fit Dampening Systems

looks like prices went up.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by revd34
does anyone know why the spring rates are stiffer in the rear then the front?
I would say with the short wheelbase, for weight transfer.
Also, imagine if you had two people in the back of good size. Your car would sag badly.

I'm not sure having a higher spring rate in the rear is the right combination on the Fit.

Last edited by radareclipse; 05-28-2008 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
Hi Kenchan,
I'm just trying to understand any drawback on wife's and children comfort when adopting endura tech coilovers on her small fit/jazz.

Given all the benefits (I would expect less rolling above all of the rear of the car) do you think the car might exhibit a too stiffer/hasher behaviour?

Another question is about height reduction with enduratechs. Is it fixed or one can choice?

TIA,

Stefano

Last edited by jazzista; 07-11-2008 at 04:02 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 07-11-2008, 06:35 AM
i dunno why there is so much hating on affordable coilovers yes to some point u get what you pay for but here i live on a island where pretty much alot of people do ghetto set up stock shock cut springs. i did sat in a car with teins and k sports and megan coilovers and pretty much whatever else brands that are out there. they are all good products in their own way but also its all up to the consumer as long and the ride is all g and can take a beating then its all good. but for some people has to be hella stiff with wack pricing. but thats my 2 cents.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm planning on buying Endura-tech's. I like what Kenchan has to say about them, and I drive my car everywhere, and a lot of roads nearby are bumpy/cracked as hell, so I don't want stiff-ass springs. Besides, I like their website design lol

Quick Reply: Coilover Comparison Thread