Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Skunk2 Pro-C coilovers INSTALLED!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
let the valving damp the car, not the springs.
I agree 400%; you took the thought out of my head. In the case of many of these brands, they have these stiff spring rates to make the car handle with no regard as to what type of pavement you will be going over. Then there is no hope to properly valve the strut/shock to compensate for the CONCRETE BLOCK ride. The Skunk's aren't horrible, and for most people will do just fine. I just happen to have a clue about what I am feeling and want to pass that feedback along to others and to the manufacturers. I think they should ship them with 6k springs up front instead of 8k to start with.

That's the problem with some companies just making up stuff. They fail to drive the car and test it over and over. After I put the softer springs in up front, I will have 6k spring rate up front and in back. I already know that the rear spring rate should be lower than 6k, but not quite the 3k of the Enduratechs. 6k is about the same spring rate as the rear of a HONDA ODYSSEY. Why would a car half the size need that much spring rate? That's the question of the day.

My wish for Skunk2 is:

Ship the Pro-C's with 6k up front, 5k in the rear to start. Make available as an option, 5k for the front, 4k for the rear. Let the race heads order theirs different if needed.

Skunk2 - take note!!!!!!!!

I know a bunch of people are looking to buy these to race (and so be it), but some of the spring rates you are offering for the front (8k, 10k, 12k) are beyond absurd for this car. If you are going to market to the street crowd, then adapt accordingly please.

I hope I wasn't jumping around too much with my ideas here.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Well, after a rough 17 days straight of work, with 12 of them being 12 hour days, I had some mad money on my hands. Too bad my hands aren't working anymore. I received my Skunk2s Friday and all I have gotten to do is admire the quality of them. The past couple of post have got me a little worried though. I hope I don't have a rough ride on my hands because my back, ass and kidneys can't take a 106 mile daily drive like that. What does Skunk charge for the new springs? Also, I am wondering where to set the threaded sleeve for the intial install. Did you guys, or girls, bottom it out in the bottom of the lower mount or turn it just past the hole? Sorry for the lengthy post. This is my first set of coilovers I will be installing and I want to get it right.

Old 07-20-2008, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
oh boy, i think i need to put on some man diapers. I just wet myself hearing the positive reviews of the coilovers.. I was really contemplating skunk2, but you've sold me like the man who sells oxyclean on those infomercials..

Old 07-20-2008, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Don't get worried about the rough ride. I'm really anal! The 2nd set of springs might have been $60 or so. A friend did the install so I don't know where the sleeve was set. Mine is a little low but not slammed. If I only stayed on the main roads and parkways in NJ, I wouldn't worry. But as soon as I hit NYC type roads, I want to improve on my ride. Mynute 1, your probably in the midwest so you don't have to worry.

The build quality will definitely get you to touch yourself. LOL! This stuff is SSSSSOOOOOOOO DIESEL!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
jensk were did you get these from man?

i was wanting to go either the tein basic or enduratech route, but your review has made me a beliver.

but i can get the basics for less than 1k shipped, and i dunno if i'll be playing with the settings too much anyway.

i'm just sympathetic towards family guys modding a/t fits, as that describes me as well.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:38 AM
From Skunk2 directly-- way back when they first came out, I got in on an initial promo offer of $1050 plus you could send them back for a full refund if you didn't like them! That was too good to pass up. The price wnet up just a few days later (I think I was like the 4th or 5th person to buy these).

Anyway, they are awesome, the ride is perfect, and you'll be stoked if you get them-- the spring rates are primo.

But I think they are around $1400 these days.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jsensk
From Skunk2 directly-- way back when they first came out, I got in on an initial promo offer of $1050 plus you could send them back for a full refund if you didn't like them! That was too good to pass up. The price wnet up just a few days later (I think I was like the 4th or 5th person to buy these).

Anyway, they are awesome, the ride is perfect, and you'll be stoked if you get them-- the spring rates are primo.

But I think they are around $1400 these days.
cool. hopefully they will do a discount since i'm a fitfreaker , thats a bit more than i wanted to spend. but it seem like if i do go that route, it will be worth it. right now its between these and the tein basics.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
I'd like to buy these as well, but at that price you can pick up t1r's with a lot more adjustability and camber. Or even that HKS hypermax but not sure if they have camber adjustability.

Old 09-07-2008, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vince
I'd like to buy these as well, but at that price you can pick up t1r's with a lot more adjustability and camber. Or even that HKS hypermax but not sure if they have camber adjustability.
i've heard hypermaxx's are pretty stiff, and the reviews on the tr1 don't seem to be as nice.

i'd love a set of these, but i think that in the end it'll be the tein basics.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
You won't need more adjustability than what the Skunk2's already give. But for the street, you could use a little less spring rate.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:39 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by vince
From what I have read the settings in the Skunk2 coilovers you can tell the difference between all 12 settings, unlike other coilovers that have 24+ ajustements where you can do a few turns up or down and can't really tell the difference. I'm probable going to ditch my Progress lowering springs and get a set of these Skunk2 coilovers for next summer.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:18 AM
hey would it be possible for someone to measure their skunk2 measurements for me. i have the tein basic but is installing some UAS(universal air suspension), and the bags to go into the strut, will not fit. I need to know where the springs go if it's less than 2 1/4 " so the bags can fit. Thanks

Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 AM
5 Year Member
Are you asking for the front or rear springs; just to make sure. Be real specific please in what your needing.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:32 AM
sorry I thought I said front, but front. It actually needs to clear 2.14"

I guess that's the shock tube or whatever it is call to be less than 2.14"

Last edited by khanhdom; 09-08-2008 at 03:21 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
I have a second set of springs for the fronts. I'll try and do it tomorrow. I think their bigger in diameter than 2.14.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:18 PM
I wish I could afford $1400 ;/
Enduratechs are $900

Old 09-09-2008, 02:37 PM
5 Year Member
just got my pro-c's yesterday

i'll be installing them this saturday with pics and a write-up/review to follow. if they're half as good as the reviews i've read, then i'm already happy

Old 09-09-2008, 05:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
I wish I could afford $1400 ;/
Enduratechs are $900
you can get them cheaper than that. i paid 1125 shipped right when they came out. if you cant find them anywhere cheaper than 1400 ask tunerzimage for their price. i had a great experience with them.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by khanhdom
sorry I thought I said front, but front. It actually needs to clear 2.14"
I guess that's the shock tube or whatever it is call to be less than 2.14"
I measured today 2.5 inches inside diameter for the front coils.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:30 PM
I just got my pro-cs and noticed that the rear shock boots are too big and dont go on snugly. i think i would have to zip tie them to get them to stay. is this normal or should i contact skunk2? maybe they sent them with the wrong shock boots? the fronts seem fine they fit snugly onto the front dampers, whereas the rear boots seem to be too big by about something like half an inch.

Quick Reply: Skunk2 Pro-C coilovers INSTALLED!!