Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Mounted, but not balanced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Mounted, but not balanced?

So I took my rims and tires to the shop today to get them mounted and balanced and when i went to pick them up, the shop told me that they mounted them but didnt balance them. They told me there was many ways to balance them but they didnt do it. They said if they did it would leave some kind of weight? ( not really sure what they said ) on the outside of the rim i believe and it would make it look " shitty " as they put it. They said id be fine driving with them not balanced, i just shouldnt really drive over 100. So my question is.... Has anyone else dealt with not getting tires and rims balanced? is it ok? should i take them some place else and get it done? they told me if i put them on and have issues they would do it, they just didnt want to mess them up and have it look bad. Help?

Old 02-12-2008, 05:51 PM
the put weight in the inner part of the wheel towards the edge. It doesnt look shitty and in my opinion it needs to be done. You cant even see the weights unless you take your wheel off or someone seriously inspects your wheels, but the weights are normal

Old 02-12-2008, 05:57 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
you need sticky weights for the inner wheel. ALL wheels shops usually carry them. There are other weights that clamp on to the lip of the wheel which is what they are talking about. DO NOT DRIVE WITH THE WHEELS UNBALANCED

Old 02-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Banned
To add to the other replies, the outside clamp-on weights were used on factory steel rims (with hub caps) for most cars until alloy rims became common. Echo the others- don't drive on unbalanced wheels unless you want to buy tires again before the end of this year.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Balance is a must. Off balance can cause your wheel to vibrate. If it's off balance slightly then it might be ok but depending on how bad the balance is, you just gotta do it. Sticky weights are what they put on my HFP wheels so you don't really see them.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Sound's to me that their either being lazy or don't know what their doing.GO GET THEM BALANCED.If you can make the same people do it for free.Good Luck.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tattoopunk031
So I took my rims and tires to the shop today to get them mounted and balanced and when i went to pick them up, the shop told me that they mounted them but didnt balance them. They told me there was many ways to balance them but they didnt do it. They said if they did it would leave some kind of weight? ( not really sure what they said ) on the outside of the rim i believe and it would make it look " shitty " as they put it. They said id be fine driving with them not balanced, i just shouldnt really drive over 100. So my question is.... Has anyone else dealt with not getting tires and rims balanced? is it ok? should i take them some place else and get it done? they told me if i put them on and have issues they would do it, they just didnt want to mess them up and have it look bad. Help?
My advice is to never go back to that shop again and go to a place that balances tires. You always balance a tire on a wheel. You can try Discount Tire. I have had good experience with them.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
you need sticky weights for the inner wheel. ALL wheels shops usually carry them. There are other weights that clamp on to the lip of the wheel which is what they are talking about. DO NOT DRIVE WITH THE WHEELS UNBALANCED
exactly! where did you go that tehy didn't balance tires? that's just awful

Old 02-12-2008, 10:54 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Just as Chris said.... sticky weights. Nothing else. Ive used sticky weights on all my wheels. Even OEM's that can use clip ons. Clip ons are ugly, I dont even like them on the inside of the wheel lips.

Sticky weights! WoohoO!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
Forget going over 100mph. When a shitty shop did my wheels I had a crazy steering vibration at 70mph. Anything over that made it worse. Don't ever go to that shop they don't know what their talking about. All wheels should be balanced.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if they match mounted then it might be okay... but you should
take it to a shop that has a hunter roadforce and have them
mount the weights using mounting tape on the rim behind the
spokes.

who the hell mounts tires and tells them they can't balance it
this day in age? lol

Old 02-13-2008, 01:33 AM
5 Year Member
yeah even costco uses sticky weights.

pssh never go back to that place again.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:06 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by smeister
My advice is to never go back to that shop again and go to a place that balances tires. You always balance a tire on a wheel. You can try Discount Tire. I have had good experience with them.

It really is a VERY GOOD SHOP. They knew that there were many ways to balance wheels and they didn't have the proper weights to do your style wheels SO THEY TOLD YOU ABOUT THE PROBLEM BEFORE THEY DID ANY WORK and didn't stick you with a shitty job using the wrong weights. And that is a good shop.

As long as the wheels don't vibrate too much you will be ok driving until you find a shop that has stick on weights and a machine that allows placement of the wheel weights on the inner surface, it's not a biggy unless any vibration occurs

Old 02-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Alright well it looks like im gonna try to find a different shop to get them balanced.... Hopefully it wont be a hassle seeings how i already got them mounted. im gonna try STS tire and auto. Anyone ever dealt with that company before? I guess they have locations all over.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
check out the list of installers available at tirerack.

The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

there's a link somewhere for recommended installers and a list
of the equipment they use.