Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Anyone riding on Progress springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:22 PM
Anyone riding on Progress springs?

I'm still looking for a ride that offers less "bounce" than the stock setup. Something firm, but not back breaking. I know folks are liking the GF210s, but I did a search and found squat about the Progress coils, other than that Progress is God's gift to Hondas .

Any FHE would be appreciated

Old 11-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Bahumut
I'm still looking for a ride that offers less "bounce" than the stock setup. Something firm, but not back breaking. I know folks are liking the GF210s, but I did a search and found squat about the Progress coils, other than that Progress is God's gift to Hondas .

Any FHE would be appreciated
Send a p.m. to CA S.F.Bay Area member "leandro82". I believe that he is using the Progress springs.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:11 PM
I called and talked to Joey at Progress. Decided to order both the anti-sway AND the springs and do a full riding test and post it here.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Banned
I called and talked to Joey at Progress. Decided to order both the anti-sway AND the springs and do a full riding test and post it here.
You probably made a good decision. That's for SURE on the bar, but I can't say the same from personal experience on the springs. Progress makes very good products, and I don't think that you can lose with their springs.

I have a personal interest in the outcome of your suspension. Please post your amount of drop, and ride quality. I would like to soften the ride on level pavement, as long as the springs were still stiff enough in hard cornering. I do not want any more drop than necessary, but will put up with some if the ride quality is improved. I know from experience that you will love the performance of the bar, and hope the same is true with your springs.

Old 11-27-2007, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
likewise interested in this

Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 AM
I'll keep you guys updated with as much detail as I can. I think Progress may also use the info here as data to further fine tune their product (?).

According to Quantum View, I have two packages due to arrive via UPS at my J.O.B. on Monday. Tuesday is the day off, so as long as the cable and internet guy doesn't take up too much of my time, I should be able to get the car setup that Tues. afternoon. I'll keep you posted.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Banned
I'll keep you guys updated with as much detail as I can. I think Progress may also use the info here as data to further fine tune their product (?).

According to Quantum View, I have two packages due to arrive via UPS at my J.O.B. on Monday. Tuesday is the day off, so as long as the cable and internet guy doesn't take up too much of my time, I should be able to get the car setup that Tues. afternoon. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks a lot- Jeff and I will be waiting patiently. We both know how easy the bar installation is, and wish you luck with the spring installation.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
I've got GF210 springs, not progress, although I put on the Progress rear bar. With the Tanabe springs, the ride is a bit smoother while being stiffer in cornering. No complaints...

I'm sure the ride will be fine w/ Progress springs.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by leandro82
I've got GF210 springs, not progress, although I put on the Progress rear bar. With the Tanabe springs, the ride is a bit smoother while being stiffer in cornering. No complaints...

I'm sure the ride will be fine w/ Progress springs.
Thanks, Mike-
One of the Bay Area guys had the Progress springs, and I wrongly thought that it was you. EXWRX and I are looking for the same handling benefits in springs with the least lowering.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:28 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by manxman
Thanks, Mike-
One of the Bay Area guys had the Progress springs, and I wrongly thought that it was you. EXWRX and I are looking for the same handling benefits in springs with the least lowering.
I thought it was Mike too?? We were both wrong.
I aswell want good springs without much lowering

Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TOOL
I thought it was Mike too?? We were both wrong.
I aswell want good springs without much lowering
Tyler,
When I emailed Joey at Progress and asked them to develop some dual rate progressive springs like the ones that Ciburri had (but can't get from Japan anymore), Joey was not interested in making anything new. But he did offer me a test set of the Fit springs that they already make (the same ones that Bahumut just ordered). Joey's price on the test set was ridiculously low, but I do not want my car any lower than it is, so I declined Joey's offer on the lowering springs (after offering EXWRX the same deal) and we both declined the offer.

Since Bahumut wants his car somewhat lowered, and has ordered the springs, I will use his ride height measurements and ride and handling quality review as my guide as to whether or not to order these springs (as will EXWRX). All of us will post any relevant info. for you to make your decision.

Dave

Old 11-28-2007, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
Are these the springs:

The Progress Group, Inc. Online Store

...if so, it's the same drop as the Tanabe GF's. I still need to get off my duff and buy some Heliums to complete the package...

Old 11-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Banned
Yep- those are the springs we're talking about.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
i'm on progress springs + rear sway. i haven't been in any other fit though. and i do think it's a bit bouncy on stock shocks, but i came from an e36 m3 with konis.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:09 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by loud_tiger
i'm on progress springs + rear sway. i haven't been in any other fit though. and i do think it's a bit bouncy on stock shocks, but i came from an e36 m3 with konis.
Thanks for your info.! That is exactly the kind of thing I'm doubtful about, since we don't have after market shocks/struts available yet, and the reason why I have not bought any brand of new springs yet.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:35 AM
5 Year Member
Bernardio is on Progress springs and rear sway!
His car rides about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch higher up front than mine on Eibach Pro's. I like his stance more!
Handling wise should be about the same. It is moderately stiffer than stock, but it does not bounce up and down on concrete FWY joints like stock! You definitely feel them but not nearly as annoying as stock! Best of all no body roll! I must admit I wish initial 1/2 of an inch to an inch was softer a bit.
Manxman, I am sorry to report that Kg/mm on my CRX still wins hands down in all areas! Aaaahhhh! I would trade to them any day!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by loud_tiger
Yeah, coming from a VW, even the stock spring and shock setup on the fit is really bouncy. I plan on taking note of the Progress coils on :
  • if they make riding on freeway joists worse
  • the amount of drop and settling during 4 weeks of riding
  • how they feel on standard flat, paved street
  • how they decrease (or increase) body roll
  • how they hold up to a full cargo load in rear and/or passengers
  • how they address front end dive during braking
  • how they address squatting (with and without cargo) during accel
  • how they affect time in a 100 ft slalom vs. stock setup.
and other stuff. If I don't like em, I'll try the GF210 setup, but besides the rate of drop, I'm assuming the ride will be similar. I'm trying to figure out how to obtain a g-meter from a buddy in Texas; I want run an unofficial skidpad test before and after the Progress setup. That may not happen (especially if the MOFO continues to throw my calls straight to voicemail! ) but we'll see. The slalom timing thing may not happen if I get impatient and install the springs before I can take measurements on the stock setup

Old 11-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Banned
Yeah, coming from a VW, even the stock spring and shock setup on the fit is really bouncy. I plan on taking note of the Progress coils on :
  • if they make riding on freeway joists worse
  • the amount of drop and settling during 4 weeks of riding
  • how they feel on standard flat, paved street
  • how they decrease (or increase) body roll
  • how they hold up to a full cargo load in rear and/or passengers
  • how they address front end dive during braking
  • how they address squatting (with and without cargo) during accel
  • how they affect time in a 100 ft slalom vs. stock setup.
and other stuff. If I don't like em, I'll try the GF210 setup, but besides the rate of drop, I'm assuming the ride will be similar. I'm trying to figure out how to obtain a g-meter from a buddy in Texas; I want run an unofficial skidpad test before and after the Progress setup. That may not happen (especially if the MOFO continues to throw my calls straight to voicemail! ) but we'll see. The slalom timing thing may not happen if I get impatient and install the springs before I can take measurements on the stock setup
Well, the rest of us who are waiting for details couldn't have picked a better test representative. It's nice to know that your info. will be coming from someone who is capable of sound judgment. Thanks in advance for helping the rest of us either save our money, or spend it wisely.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by ciburri
Bernardio is on Progress springs and rear sway!
His car rides about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch higher up front than mine on Eibach Pro's. I like his stance more!
Handling wise should be about the same. It is moderately stiffer than stock, but it does not bounce up and down on concrete FWY joints like stock! You definitely feel them but not nearly as annoying as stock! Best of all no body roll! I must admit I wish initial 1/2 of an inch to an inch was softer a bit.
Manxman, I am sorry to report that Kg/mm on my CRX still wins hands down in all areas! Aaaahhhh! I would trade to them any day!
Ivan, thanks for confirming that one of us Bay Area members DO have the progress springs. I would have guessed Bernardio, after leandro82's post. I am now regretting not accepting Progress' offer on the test set of springs. I still don't know that they would have improved MY Fit, but I probably could have resold them at a profit (their offer was REALLY low priced) now that interest in them is starting to increase.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:52 AM
I just sent an email to Progress Tech and let them know that we were talking about their springs for the Fit. Perhaps they'll chime in and address in issues or concerns, if they arise.

Last edited by Bahumut; 11-29-2007 at 11:53 AM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply: Anyone riding on Progress springs?