Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Anyone riding on Progress springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 12:24 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Bahumut
I just sent an email to Progress Tech and let them know that we were talking about their springs for the Fit. Perhaps they'll chime in and address in issues or concerns, if they arise.
Good idea. I corresponded over a 30 day period with Joey Berry at Progress when I asked them to develop a dual-rate spring to copy the now-unavailable springs from KG/mm in Japan. What came out of this correspondence was Joey's offer of a test set of springs. I, and EXWRX, declined the offer because we want the advantages of "ciburri's" dual-rate springs, WITHOUT having to lower the ride height. Another detail that became apparent is that Progress does not make their own springs. They felt that our market segment was too small in number to spend the money to develop a spring, made by other vendors, that would compete with the ones they already make for the Fit. The fact that the '09 models have changes in the suspension makes development of new concept springs for '07-'08 a dead end market.

Again, good luck in your own customization efforts. We may join you if your results are what we hope for.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
So if Progress doesn't make their own springs, who makes them for Progress? I know that as long as whoever they contract out to is a spring manufacturer that uses a high quality materials and a good roller that it doesn't much matter, but I am curious who they use. I also know that Progress would probably have their own slightly different rate, length and amount of variable rate than their manufacturers normal spring, but I'm still curious.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:40 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by EXWRX
So if Progress doesn't make their own springs, who makes them for Progress? I know that as long as whoever they contract out to is a spring manufacturer that uses a high quality materials and a good roller that it doesn't much matter, but I am curious who they use. I also know that Progress would probably have their own slightly different rate, length and amount of variable rate than their manufacturers normal spring, but I'm still curious.
Jeff-
I did not ask that of Joey. Since his springs did not offer the characteristics that we were looking for, I didn't think that the actual source manufacturer was important, my business, or would be divulged if I asked.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Banned
P.s.
For Joey/Progress (if you take Bahumut's invitation to read this thread)--

Your company, like all manufacturers of after-market springs, assumes that everyone wants to lower their cars. This is certainly not true of all Fit owners. Many of us want to lose the high frequency "freeway jitters" without sacrificing ANY of the stock ride height, but at the same time would like to increase body roll resistance with stiffer spring rates only when cornering.

The springs previously sold by KG/mm accomplished all of this, according to member "ciburri".

Old 11-29-2007, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
carlosalicea from these forums has the Progress springs. He got a good deal on 'em, and drop seems to be enough for the Fit in a picture i saw.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fits_all
carlosalicea from these forums has the Progress springs. He got a good deal on 'em, and drop seems to be enough for the Fit in a picture i saw.

I got the springs and the sway bar.

All I got to say is that I took 3 seconds of my best lap in the solo 2 events. the springs have (for my taste) the perfect drop.
1.the body roll disappeared 90% (I still have the stock shocks)
2.no squad or pitch while launch or very heavy braking
3.I have them for like 8 months and no sag or nothing and i drive 100+ miles daily
4.the ride is firmer than stock,but not bouncy or harsh at all
5. excellent build quality
6.the left side front makes a little noise, but it was my fault for not putting a rubber cover ( i did not even install them (PepBoys) plus I don't cut the bumpstop as the instructions said.
7.I recommend them to anybody who cares for the performance results more than the brand and price

To finish: I would say that better than this ( for the price ) NOTHING.

You can buy Full coilovers if you want something better.

Ahhhhhh and ten the sway bar........ I just cant tell youhow good it is as there is already a BIG THREAD OF THE TOPIC

just my 2 cents. I hope it helps

Old 11-29-2007, 09:09 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by carlosalicea
I got the springs and the sway bar.

All I got to say is that I took 3 seconds of my best lap in the solo 2 events. the springs have (for my taste) the perfect drop.
1.the body roll disappeared 90% (I still have the stock shocks)
2.no squad or pitch while launch or very heavy braking
3.I have them for like 8 months and no sag or nothing and i drive 100+ miles daily
4.the ride is firmer than stock,but not bouncy or harsh at all
5. excellent build quality
6.the left side front makes a little noise, but it was my fault for not putting a rubber cover ( i did not even install them (PepBoys) plus I don't cut the bumpstop as the instructions said.
7.I recommend them to anybody who cares for the performance results more than the brand and price

To finish: I would say that better than this ( for the price ) NOTHING.

You can buy Full coilovers if you want something better.

Ahhhhhh and ten the sway bar........ I just cant tell youhow good it is as there is already a BIG THREAD OF THE TOPIC

just my 2 cents. I hope it helps
THANKS for your input Carlos! You have more of a track performance objective than many of us here, and it sounds like we will sacrifice some comfort with these springs compared to the unavailable dual rate springs that we are trying to find, or get someone in the spring business to make. I'm glad that YOU are happy with them though. Thanks for the post.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by manxman
P.s.
For Joey/Progress (if you take Bahumut's invitation to read this thread)--

Your company, like all manufacturers of after-market springs, assumes that everyone wants to lower their cars. This is certainly not true of all Fit owners. Many of us want to lose the high frequency "freeway jitters" without sacrificing ANY of the stock ride height, but at the same time would like to increase body roll resistance with stiffer spring rates only when cornering.

The springs previously sold by KG/mm accomplished all of this, according to member "ciburri".

makes me think of the H&R O.E. sport springs. Those are a nice setup; MINIMAL drop (.5" IIRC) yet stiffer rates and you keep O.E. comfort levels and noise. Too bad springs like that aren't available for the Fit, eh? I know the Tanabe NF210 is the Japanese version of the O.E. sports, but those aren't Fit-ready either. That said, we all are familiar with the GF210s, so I'm willing to try the Progress Techs.

Carlos' write up, even though more autoX oriented, actually does help give me an idea what to expect, even though I plan on staying primarily on the street. It doesn't address how the suspension is going to handle under a full load of cargo, etc. Hey Carlos, if you have that info, please let us know.

Like I said, my setup should arrive soon, but I'm not sure I'm going to have it installed immediately, and there's a big lack of knowledge and FHE on these springs.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:41 AM
5 Year Member
THANKS for your input Carlos! You have more of a track performance objective than many of us here, and it sounds like we will sacrifice some comfort with these springs compared to the unavailable dual rate springs that we are trying to find, or get someone in the spring business to make. I'm glad that YOU are happy with them though. Thanks for the post.
Manxman,

Maybe you misunderstand me or I didn't xpress my self as I intend.

I state that the ride is firmer, but not bouncy or harsh, meaning that it is just a little firmer than stock, but in a good way. I use my Fit every day and belive me when i said that here in PR, the roads aren't the best mantained ones.

And BTW they are progresive rate springs.

Old 11-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Banned
Manxman,

Maybe you misunderstand me or I didn't xpress my self as I intend.

I state that the ride is firmer, but not bouncy or harsh, meaning that it is just a little firmer than stock, but in a good way. I use my Fit every day and belive me when i said that here in PR, the roads aren't the best mantained ones.

And BTW they are progresive rate springs.
Hey, Carlos,
Thanks again- you made it a little more clear. I knew in the back of my mind that your PR road conditions were not the best because of some of your older posts. My road conditions during the winter months deteriorate from mud slides, rocks in the road, tree limbs, etc., and I already consider my Fit to be almost too low. I appreciate your info., and if Bahumut posts good results like you have described, I will probably buy a set from Progress. I am also curious about how the car behaves under heavy load conditions, so if you can comment, please do.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, Carlos,
Thanks again- you made it a little more clear. I knew in the back of my mind that your PR road conditions were not the best because of some of your older posts. My road conditions during the winter months deteriorate from mud slides, rocks in the road, tree limbs, etc., and I already consider my Fit to be almost too low. I appreciate your info., and if Bahumut posts good results like you have described, I will probably buy a set from Progress. I am also curious about how the car behaves under heavy load conditions, so if you can comment, please do.

I can tell you that I have 2 kids plus I am musiciand (keyboards, amp, stand and other stuff, plus is the car I use to go shoping with the family ( as it gives me 35mpg) and so far so GOOD!!!

The car is low from the factory and now its 1.5 aprox (may be a little more)lower, so all you have to take in consideration is the front chin. But as I said, no much more than with factory height.

I am not trying to convince you to buy them as if I was a dealer or something, I am just giving my own personal review, wich is a good one, considering the low cost of the springs.

Now, speaking of the sway bar...........

if I was obligated to buy only oe mod for the suspension, it would be the progress sway bar hands down. I t is just the best mod for the money

Old 11-30-2007, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
hey man..post a new picture if you can

thanks for the given feedback.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
hey man..post a new picture if you can

thanks for the given feedback.
Sorry but this is all I can get from the office

Old 11-30-2007, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member
nice bro..appreciate the pictures though.
I'd like to see the stance more clearly, since i think these are lower than tanabe gf210's in the rear... here are brief specifications:

Progress Technology Sport Coil Springs:
Drop Amount:
1.5" Front - 1.3" Rear

Tanabe GF210 Springs:
Drop Amount:
1.5 Front -0.9'' Rear

Old 11-30-2007, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
nice bro..appreciate the pictures though.
I'd like to see the stance more clearly, since i think these are lower than tanabe gf210's in the rear... here are brief specifications:

Progress Technology Sport Coil Springs:
Drop Amount:
1.5" Front - 1.3" Rear

Tanabe GF210 Springs:
Drop Amount:
1.5 Front -0.9'' Rear
Actually,

The big diference on the "stance" is in the rear. The gap looks as it was suposed to look. You should look at it with the toyo's RA-1 on.

But if the Progress hasn't appeared, I would gone with the tanabe's, meaning that they are also goo d quality.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Actually,

The big diference on the "stance" is in the rear. The gap looks as it was suposed to look. You should look at it with the toyo's RA-1 on.

But if the Progress hasn't appeared, I would gone with the tanabe's, meaning that they are also goo d quality.

I was wondering, do you have any rubbing issues in the front with the konigs? 15's? tire size?

I have the same Progress set up on my Fit, and was thinking of getting the Heliums if they don't rub in hard cornering.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Banned
I can tell you that I have 2 kids plus I am musiciand (keyboards, amp, stand and other stuff, plus is the car I use to go shoping with the family ( as it gives me 35mpg) and so far so GOOD!!!

The car is low from the factory and now its 1.5 aprox (may be a little more)lower, so all you have to take in consideration is the front chin. But as I said, no much more than with factory height.

I am not trying to convince you to buy them as if I was a dealer or something, I am just giving my own personal review, wich is a good one, considering the low cost of the springs.

Now, speaking of the sway bar...........

if I was obligated to buy only oe mod for the suspension, it would be the progress sway bar hands down. I t is just the best mod for the money
You are "preaching to the choir" on the Progress bar (as you already know), and you are reading my mind on the stance, handling, heavy loads conditions.
Thanks very much for all of the info, Carlos.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Evotech8
I was wondering, do you have any rubbing issues in the front with the konigs? 15's? tire size?

I have the same Progress set up on my Fit, and was thinking of getting the Heliums if they don't rub in hard cornering.
wheels 15x6.5 40mm offset
tires 205 50 15 no rub (were falkens ziex)
actual 195 55 15 no rub ( very cheap and noisy tires)
track toyo ra-1 205 50 15 a little rub (rear) on big road depressions (undulations)

A little rub in the rear (in big road undulations) but only with the RA1's witch have a very tall and stiff sidewalls but with the street ( daily ) tires nothing, no rub at all.

Last edited by carlosalicea; 11-30-2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
wheels 15x6.5 40mm offset
tires 205 50 15 no rub (were falkens ziex)
actual 195 55 15 no rub ( very cheap and noisy tires)
track toyo ra-1 205 50 15 a little rub (rear) on big road depressions (undulations)

A little rub in the rear (in big road undulations) but only with the RA1's witch have a very tall and stiff sidewalls but with the street ( daily ) tires nothing, no rub at all.
Thanks for the info.
Looks like I'll get a set of konig heliums for X-mas present to myself.

And I luv my Progress spring and sway bar combo.
Handles much better (less body roll and understeer). Suprisingly the ride quality still feels like stock with the Progress springs.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 AM
I know some folks are concerned over who makes the Springs, but in doing research, it seems that only Tanabe really MAKES their springs. Everyone else designs them and sends them to industrial manufacturers to produce them. What happens before and after production is what makes each spring set different and unique. For example, Tein DOES make some of their springs, but not all of them. The GD3 is in that latter catagory. They do produce their struts, but not the EDC which controls them. Those are designed and tested in house.

Anyway, Joey and Progress heard the concern, and this is what I got in an email from him:
If you want to respond to the people asking who makes our springs, as one person on there noted, it doesn’t really matter (the name wouldn’t ring bells anyways, they aren’t in the industry). They use the materials that we specify, they manufacture the way we specify, and they make them according to our designs. After they arrive here they are quality tested (sizes and spring rates) for the second time, sent to powdercoating, then packaged. There is no other brand with the same exact design as the Progress springs because they are designed in house and sent out for manufacturing. The equipment to manufacture springs simply costs too much (upwards of 1 million dollars) and takes up far too much space.

Quick Reply: Anyone riding on Progress springs?