Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

better choice skunk2 or tanabes????

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 07:13 PM
better choice skunk2 or tanabes????

to you guys whats a better choice of springs? Skunk2s or DF210Tanabes I hear both are good. And since they don't really make any shocks for our cars yet, does anyone experienced bad bounce while hitting bumps? like blown shocks yet? ? anymore info let me know
what about teins for the fit? and t1rs?
and yeah I still need help with bolt hole in other thread like more advise is appreciated.

Last edited by F-IT!!!; 11-26-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:39 PM
somebody answer this thread!!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:55 PM
I've seen plenty of ppl with the tanabes and havent had issues yet with the shocks. I know skunk2 always makes a great spring. Personally I love adjustable damp and I only wanted about 1in drop so I went with the mugen 5ways, perfect drop, great adj and ride is just perfect. If you got AIM shoot me a msg if you need more info

mon-fri 8-5pm eastern time

panducky25

Old 01-02-2008, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
I've got the skunk2s, and I really like them. I wanted a drop that wouldn't sacrifice the ride quality, and these do it just fine. I have some pretty nasty and difficult to avoid dips and bumps in the parking lot of my apartment complex, and as long as you take it slow, I haven't had any problems. I'm more conscious of speed bumps and potholes, etc. but other then just being a little more careful, I haven't changed driving habits much to compensate for the new springs. If you have aftermarket wheels, some setups will rub, but I'm running stock on sport alloys and they are great - the drop actually looks great with the stock wheels, IMO.
Ride quality feels 95% OEM to me - it's firmer over bumps, most noticeably on the highway (pebbles, uneven pavement, etc. at speed) but other then that it's very streetable.
And, if you look right, you can get a great deal on ebay - where I got them, jhpauctions. (Welcome to JHPUSA.com! The Original JDM Circa 1999 - Serving parts for Civic, Integra, S2000)
As mentioned above, skunk2 has a good rep for producing quality products.
I've seen the drop on the tanabes - it's a little lower so more aggressive, and I'd imagine you'd have to be even more careful with these, but from what I hear ride quality is also rather good, though firmer, then stock.
Coilovers are the better option, if you have the money though. I plan to upgrade the struts/shocks as soon as something becomes available (splitting the difference between $$$ coilovers and $ springs.)
hope that helps - good luck, both choices are great I think.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:38 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i went with the DF210's because they are softer than the Skunk2's...

from the readings, the front rates are the same, but the rear's are
considerably stiffer on the skunk2's. given these are progressive rate
springs it is hard to tell at which compression they are measuring
these rates, but just as reference:

DF210: 3.1kg / 4.9kg (-1.8/-1.3)
SK2's: 3.1kg / 6.2kg (-1.5/-1.0)

Skunk2's are supposedly going to give you better turnability (rotation)
but more bounce on the rear and wear out your dampers faster.

DF210's will net more drop yet provide more comfort. the DF's in
real life are much stiffer than stock, but im happy to say the car
feels planted and well mannered. car turns just fine.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 AM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
i went with the DF210's because they are softer than the Skunk2's...

from the readings, the front rates are the same, but the rear's are
considerably stiffer on the skunk2's. given these are progressive rate
springs it is hard to tell at which compression they are measuring
these rates, but just as reference:

DF210: 3.1kg / 4.9kg (-1.8/-1.3)
SK2's: 3.1kg / 6.2kg (-1.5/-1.0)

Skunk2's are supposedly going to give you better turnability (rotation)
but more bounce on the rear and wear out your dampers faster.

DF210's will net more drop yet provide more comfort. the DF's in
real life are much stiffer than stock, but im happy to say the car
feels planted and well mannered. car turns just fine.
lemme ask you im in a band and i have a bunch of gear these are the brands i was thinking about using if i eventually want to throw some 16s on the car plus springs and still put up 2 about 200 lbs of gear in the back wich do you think will do a better job of not rubbing???

Old 01-03-2008, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by s0x
lemme ask you im in a band and i have a bunch of gear these are the brands i was thinking about using if i eventually want to throw some 16s on the car plus springs and still put up 2 about 200 lbs of gear in the back wich do you think will do a better job of not rubbing???
if you get 205/45/16's with 16x7 wheels 40 to 48mm offset you shouldn't
rub in the first place. with your heavier gear in there most of the time,
i recommend the skunk2's. mainly for it giving you more sus travel to
work with (doesnt lower as much as DF's), and with the higher spring
rate in the back, it will help maintain the posture of the car during
turns and coming out of turns back to straightline. car has no
rear swaybar so the springs kinda do double duty. you never know
when you might throw an additional amphead in there which could be
another 50lbs or so.s

Last edited by kenchan; 01-03-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
im gonna get some coilovers pretty soon and i ll have a set of tanabe springs for sale. almost brand new. i love the ride and handling but i need adjustable ride height. if you want them, pm me.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by s0x
There is also the GF210 which do not lower as much but give you 20-30% higher spring rate.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1 Sick Fit
There is also the GF210 which do not lower as much but give you 20-30% higher spring rate.
basically wat that means is no one can really tell the drop yet more
burden on the dampers. imho, not the best choice.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:20 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
basically wat that means is no one can really tell the drop yet more
burden on the dampers. imho, not the best choice.
ken is my suspension night in shining ssm lol aight dude thanks for the input ill prob end up with skunks i cant afford coil overs as this wouls obviously be the best option lol so ill go wit the sexy red springs lol

Old 01-06-2008, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
i have 5000 miles on my skunk2 springs, adn haven't had any issues yet.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:04 AM
i love my skunk2's but i havent done anything crazy yet to see how well they feel. i gotta get all the bars and stickier tires before i go out and really see what they got. so far though no real issues. i do have to limp over most obsticles ie driveways, dips, and train tracks but thats just cause i dont want to scratch my lip. i drive like a granny when im in town. haha. i do love the stance that it gives the car and that i can still put heavy things in the car without any issues.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:56 AM
5 Year Member
I too am getting some 16's soon and wanting a lower stance with them. I'm torn between getting the Skunk springs, or some D2 coils. I don't drag/autox my car, but i do race around town. Only reason i haven't bought the Skunk springs is because i would hate to blow out a shock/strut and not be able to get a replacement, although i haven't read anywhere on the forums about someone blowing one while on lowering springs (correct me if i'm wrong). So i guess i'm looking for some input as well.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by chaseerry
I too am getting some 16's soon and wanting a lower stance with them. I'm torn between getting the Skunk springs, or some D2 coils. I don't drag/autox my car, but i do race around town. Only reason i haven't bought the Skunk springs is because i would hate to blow out a shock/strut and not be able to get a replacement, although i haven't read anywhere on the forums about someone blowing one while on lowering springs (correct me if i'm wrong). So i guess i'm looking for some input as well.
The shock/strut "blowing" is actually a slow process of it becoming worn out and not performing as designed. Typically, after 25-30k of driving with lowering springs you will feel the ride get a bit bouncy especially on freeways, this means you prob need to replace your shocks.

as for replacements, you can always get OEM replacements from a dealer if there are no aftermarket dampers available. Hopefully konis will be out for the fit by the time you need to replace them.