Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Mugen 5 Way Adjustable Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Mugen 5 Way Adjustable Suspension

After 5 weeks of waiting my brand new Mugen 5 way adjustable suspension has finally arrived. One of the things that really worried me before was the maker of the shock, since the maker of the Mugen Sport Suspension was KYB. As soon as I opened the package I found that SHOWA made the shocks for this suspension setup. Can't wait to install them tomorrow, I will also have pics of the suspension and pics of the drop on my car if anyone is interested.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
That's great. Let us know how it is like with the new setup!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:54 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
sweet! i would like to see pics of it too!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:03 AM
can't wait to see the setup and the pics.. please let us know the ride quality/performance as well.. I'm still undecided

Old 09-14-2007, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
Installed my suspension yesterday and I have to tell you guys I am 100% satisfied with the suspension. The drop is about 1/2 inch so far, but I figure it will settle to about an inch within the next few days. Installation was a breeze thanks to the front coil already being installed on the shock. Ride quality is near that of stock, which worried me since Mugen Dom commented that his Sport Suspension was way too soft and was not very good in terms of performance. It wasn't until I began testing the suspension that I realized what kind of performance increase I received from the kit. Testing on on-ramps that I am very familiar with, I was getting cornering speeds 15-20% faster than with my stock suspension. My measurement for this while being safe was to accelerate while cornering till the tires began to screech. On one on-ramp, to my suprise, I found that I was able to depress the gas fully while turning without the tires even squealing in the slightest. If you are looking for a suspension kit that provides EXTREME streetability combined with a REAL boost to performance I would highly recommend this suspension. I will try and post pics up by tomorrow.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 09-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by DynamicFit
Installed my suspension yesterday and I have to tell you guys I am 100% satisfied with the suspension. The drop is about 1/2 inch so far, but I figure it will settle to about an inch within the next few days. Installation was a breeze thanks to the front coil already being installed on the shock. Ride quality is near that of stock, which worried me since Mugen Dom commented that his Sport Suspension was way too soft and was not very good in terms of performance. It wasn't until I began testing the suspension that I realized what kind of performance increase I received from the kit. Testing on on-ramps that I am very familiar with, I was getting cornering speeds 15-20% faster than with my stock suspension. My measurement for this while being safe was to accelerate while cornering till the tires began to screech. On one on-ramp, to my suprise, I found that I was able to depress the gas fully while turning without the tires even squealing in the slightest. If you are looking for a suspension kit that provides EXTREME streetability combined with a REAL boost to performance I would highly recommend this suspension. I will try and post pics up by tomorrow.

Thanks,
Tom
awsome, I'm glad you're happy with it.. so it's worth the money eh? in terms of price comparison to the T1R Bmax 52's is it fairly similar? what setting did you adjust it to 1-5?

Old 09-14-2007, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
I am currently running a 2 setting in the front and 3 in the rear. The price after shipping came out to $1494.00. Despite the hefty price I personally think I bought the suspension that is best suited for me. I also like the fact that the drop is enough that it is noticeable without giving away the idea that its a ricer's car. Perfect sleeper.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I am currently running a 2 setting in the front and 3 in the rear. The price after shipping came out to $1494.00. Despite the hefty price I personally think I bought the suspension that is best suited for me. I also like the fact that the drop is enough that it is noticeable without giving away the idea that its a ricer's car. Perfect sleeper.
pics please

did you find out what the spring rates were? are they progressive? $1494 US? I'm assuming you got em from Kings?

I'm very very interested in this setup... willing to spend the money if the ride is "nice" and not bouncy like the regular SS, and seems like you noticed a pretty big improvement with performance too... and it's good to know that it's SHOWA as opposed to KYB in this case.. this may be the perfect setup I've been looking for too.. cuz I don't care for a huge drop either, but a slight one to get rid of some of the wheel gap would be nice.. the ride in itself is the major thing

Old 09-14-2007, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
From what I can tell there I have not noticed the bounciness that MugenDom mentioned. Yes the price for the suspension is in US dollars and that was ordered from King. I will post pics of it tomorrow after I wash my car. There is one thing you have to modify on your car to get it to work though. Today while adjusting the rear suspension I noticed that the covers that go over the rear shock tower were not fitting well due to the heightened strut housing, the adjustment was running into the plastic. So I dremeled a hole out of the plastic were the cover was showing signs of being hit against and now it works perfectly. I will continue to test the suspension, but as of now am unable to find a flaw in the suspension.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:38 PM
From what I can tell there I have not noticed the bounciness that MugenDom mentioned. Yes the price for the suspension is in US dollars and that was ordered from King. I will post pics of it tomorrow after I wash my car. There is one thing you have to modify on your car to get it to work though. Today while adjusting the rear suspension I noticed that the covers that go over the rear shock tower were not fitting well due to the heightened strut housing, the adjustment was running into the plastic. So I dremeled a hole out of the plastic were the cover was showing signs of being hit against and now it works perfectly. I will continue to test the suspension, but as of now am unable to find a flaw in the suspension.
could you take a pic of where you dremelled it? man.. I was hoping there would be no modifications to it... I'd hate altering anything, even if it's just dremelling something.. do you notice much of a difference between the 5 settings?

Old 09-15-2007, 05:49 AM
5 Year Member
One more question, do u need to get another set of front sway bar link with the suspension kit?

Old 09-15-2007, 07:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Canadian_R32
could you take a pic of where you dremelled it? man.. I was hoping there would be no modifications to it... I'd hate altering anything, even if it's just dremelling something.. do you notice much of a difference between the 5 settings?
Yesterday I tried changing it to 3 in the front and 4 in the rear and yes it does feel a bit different. Now the suspension feels like an aftermarket suspension. I'm sure I wouldn't want to drive the car with a 4 and 5 setting. I also have no problem showing you the modification I did, the whole issue with dremeling can be avoided by simply leaving the covers off, but i figured since there was so little modification required and the fact the covers were so hidden I might as well make the necessary change.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spoonek4
One more question, do u need to get another set of front sway bar link with the suspension kit?
You do not need a new sway bar link. Mugen raised the location the sway bar link was located on the strut housing to accomodate the lowered suspension. Well engineered.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:28 AM
Yesterday I tried changing it to 3 in the front and 4 in the rear and yes it does feel a bit different. Now the suspension feels like an aftermarket suspension. I'm sure I wouldn't want to drive the car with a 4 and 5 setting. I also have no problem showing you the modification I did, the whole issue with dremeling can be avoided by simply leaving the covers off, but i figured since there was so little modification required and the fact the covers were so hidden I might as well make the necessary change.
wow, so one adjustment from 2-3 to 3-4 made THAT much of a difference? .. what do you mean by it feels like an "aftermarket" suspension? alot stiffer than 2-3 settings? 4-5 settings would be ideal for track maybe?

ya, please do show where you would have to dremel... the covers are what? just dust boots? the suspension already comes assembled or no?

Old 09-16-2007, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
The following are some images as requested. I'm not a photographer and I kind of did this in a hurry so if there is anything I can answer or some other pictures of it you might want to see, I can do that at a later time.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:47 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
oh my god that is beautiful. i like your wheels too, and those lug nuts. ow, the envy, it hurts..

Old 09-16-2007, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Canadian_R32
wow, so one adjustment from 2-3 to 3-4 made THAT much of a difference? .. what do you mean by it feels like an "aftermarket" suspension? alot stiffer than 2-3 settings? 4-5 settings would be ideal for track maybe?

ya, please do show where you would have to dremel... the covers are what? just dust boots? the suspension already comes assembled or no?
The suspension comes pre assembled, so there is no need for a spring compressor or anything like that. It evens comes with all new hardware which I kept new, since the old bolts were perfectly good. Installation shouldn't take more than 1.5 hours if you're meticulous like I am.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctordoom
oh my god that is beautiful. i like your wheels too, and those lug nuts. ow, the envy, it hurts..
Thanks, I would hope it looks good I've spent a pretty penny on wheels and suspension alone.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 PM
that's awsome man.. for some reason I wasn't even thinking what "cover" you were talking about.. I thought it was on the strut assembly itself.. but you meant the trunk one... that shouldn't be a problem at all... guess this setup was made for a Jazz? they have higher covers or something?

you weren't kidding when you said the drop was 1/2" .. it's so mild you can't even tell really... has it settled and drop a bit more since?

are the springs progressive? and what did you mean by it felt "after market" once you set it to 3-4 in the front and rear respectively?

Old 09-16-2007, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
what color and size are your Volks?

lookin good..

Quick Reply: Mugen 5 Way Adjustable Suspension