Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Mugen 5 Way Adjustable Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Tighter coils Up or Down , always UP!

Old 12-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Misha
Tighter coils Up or Down , always UP!

Old 12-21-2007, 01:21 PM

Old 12-21-2007, 10:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Misha

actually, that picture shows two different springs. the tighter coiled spring on top is actually a helper spring. the helper spring is lighter and has a lower spring rate. which is supposed to be on top? i don't know. ask a suspension tuner, he'll tell you to have them on top for the front set, and on bottom for the rear set, or vice versa. it's where art meets science and i'm more convinced now that up or down is a matter of subjective preference.

btw, KW for the win. just not the particular kit they sell for the fit.

Last edited by kennef; 12-21-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
I will try and get pictures up for you guys, but what I can tell you regarding the adjustability of the dampers are that it makes quite a difference in regards to the handling. Going from 1 to 3 on the stiffness gives a night and day difference. On another note the suspension gives a very minor drop, so for those looking for the slammed look you might want to look somewhere else. If it is straight performance you are looking for with everyday drivability, I would highly recommend this suspension. I will update with pictures after christmas of the shock body for you Kennef.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 12-22-2007, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
Unfortunately I do not have any pics of the shock body before installation, so I just took some shots to help you get an idea of what they look like. Hope this helps.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
my win radar is detecting heavy amounts of win, vicinity of the mugen 5 way adjustable suspension.

do you have a rear sway bar, roll center adjusters, bushings, or anything else? i love the fact that it has so little drop. i'm a big fan of retaining suspension travel. i want a suspension that can handle bumpy track type activity, so i might just have to find 1500 bucks somewhere.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:30 AM
5 Year Member
i can't tell on king's website, does this suspension have adjustable perches? i ask to see if these can be cornerbalanced via the suspension or if i may need to use some spacers. looking forward to more pics!

Old 12-24-2007, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
The only other suspension component I currently have is the Mugen front strut tower bar, but I do have plans to probably do the bushings and sway bars. The roll center adjuster is for cars that have had their suspension geometry changed drastically by excessive lowering of the vehicle, as the Mugen suspension does not lower the car that much, I don't plan on purchasing that item. The suspension is not ride height adjustable, but I can tell you that the dampening adjustment is an extremely nice option that is easy to access and also makes a very noticeable difference in the handling of the car when adjusted correctly for different driving conditions. It's a great setup for track and street, right out of the box, without any additional adjustments required to get it performing well. If there are any particular pictures you would like posted, I'll be more than happy to post any.
Thanks,
Tom

Old 12-24-2007, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
i'm most interested in the free length of the spring and the amount of travel of the shock body from full up to full down. that would require quite a bit of labor on your part, so while i'd really appreciate the data, i'm sure i'll be fine without it.

with that, i was hoping for pics of the shock bodies themselves. but i was only asking to see if they had any kind of external reservoirs that showed that high-speed damping was a big design consideration. judging by the price, and if the king motorsports website picture is right, it's obvious they do not have an external reservoir provision. but that's ok, at the price level of 1500 it's understandable.

honestly, any pics of the suspension components under the car or with the wheels off will be more than fantastic for my needs. how do you feel the dampers are now that you have a few more miles on them? do you notice any change when its cold out? road grime making for sticky, noisy, or harsher travel?

Old 12-24-2007, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
btw, i'm super suspension whore. if ever i would brand name shop, it would be on suspension components. so i appreciate you taking the time to answer my posts.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kennef
bump for an update. you wouldn't have any more pictures of the damper bodies themselves, would you? do you know what the spring rates are?
Quick conversion from the Mugen HP: F=2.65 kgf/mm, R=4.49 kgf/mm. OEM (at least for JDM) is 2.3 and 3.8.

For the OP, any chance of scanning the instructions and posting them? I'd like to read 'em and I can probably tell you which way the springs are supposed to go too, assuming they say of course.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:40 PM
I have had the same 5ways on my car and cant say enoguh about them. Best suspension I have ever had. Everything just speaks of improving the stock ride. Rides smooth and handles great and doesnt slam my car to the ground.

If you want pictures of the suspension and other mugen products for the Fit look at my car link we have on our website. We took pictures of everything before the installs. We can actually get the Mugen stuff cheaper than King BTW

Project SmurFIT

Old 12-28-2007, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
excellent pics, i really couldn't ask for more. some of the welds looked really strange, but i don't work metal, so i'm guessing that it's my untrained eyes and pictures over the internet. i love the .gif:

by the looks of it, it looked like almost 2" of full extension is lost. i like how these springs are a lot like the swift design with fewer coils. are the mugen components lighter than stock?

Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM
To be honest I didn't weigh both but I think they are very close in the same weight.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DynamicFit
Unfortunately I do not have any pics of the shock body before installation, so I just took some shots to help you get an idea of what they look like. Hope this helps.

great write up on the suspension! one question though, are the volks you are running 15's? and what size is the tire?

Old 12-30-2007, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
The volks I am running are 16x7 and the tire size I decided to go with is 205/50/16, because I wanted to keep slightly more sidewall to maintain comfort and retain ride height with a drop. The way it sits now, I can drive it exactly like I drove it before I dropped the car. Also this wheel combo fills the wheel well better and slows the speed of the odometer which is nice. MPG has increased by almost 3% thanks to increased wheel diameter.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
How is this kit different from the Street Series? Like these?

Old 02-02-2008, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mnapuran
How is this kit different from the Street Series? Like these?

thats megan, not MUGEN. huge difference.

man i really like this suspension. the fact that you can get its non-adjustable version for even less is great. i just wish we had as good of a write up.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
Doh.. right you are

So what's the "huge" difference?

Quick Reply: Mugen 5 Way Adjustable Suspension