Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Mugen 5 Way Adjustable Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Canadian_R32
that's awsome man.. for some reason I wasn't even thinking what "cover" you were talking about.. I thought it was on the strut assembly itself.. but you meant the trunk one... that shouldn't be a problem at all... guess this setup was made for a Jazz? they have higher covers or something?

you weren't kidding when you said the drop was 1/2" .. it's so mild you can't even tell really... has it settled and drop a bit more since?

are the springs progressive? and what did you mean by it felt "after market" once you set it to 3-4 in the front and rear respectively?
Yes the kit was made for the JDM car, but I'm thinking they would have to do the same thing to the cover, I doubt they would change something like that between the two cars. The drop has settled slightly, but I think it won't go anymore than what it has reached. Honestly I don't know how to tell the difference between a progressive spring and a non progressive spring. In my mind a spring that is progressively wound would require less absorption in the first inch of travel and from then on increase the resistance as the spring was compressed. If that is the case then yes this supsension comes with a progressive spring. The upper portion of the spring is wound less tightly and near the bottom the coils come closer together. The statement aftermarket was meant to describe the suspension as feeling like something other than OEM parts. I basically meant that the car had a much stiffer feel and the suspension felt like it was a performance suspension rather than a stock suspension. I personally like the feel of 2 front and 3 rear for daily driving and would most likely use 3 front 4 rear for spirited or track driving.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by DynamicFit
Yes the kit was made for the JDM car, but I'm thinking they would have to do the same thing to the cover, I doubt they would change something like that between the two cars. The drop has settled slightly, but I think it won't go anymore than what it has reached. Honestly I don't know how to tell the difference between a progressive spring and a non progressive spring. In my mind a spring that is progressively wound would require less absorption in the first inch of travel and from then on increase the resistance as the spring was compressed. If that is the case then yes this supsension comes with a progressive spring. The upper portion of the spring is wound less tightly and near the bottom the coils come closer together. The statement aftermarket was meant to describe the suspension as feeling like something other than OEM parts. I basically meant that the car had a much stiffer feel and the suspension felt like it was a performance suspension rather than a stock suspension. I personally like the feel of 2 front and 3 rear for daily driving and would most likely use 3 front 4 rear for spirited or track driving.
ahh.. I see.. ya the way you described it then is progressive... like if you look at the regular Mugen SS they are not progressive as you can tell by the springs (wind the same way throughout).. you wouldn't happen to have a pic of the suspension before you installed it would you? like the strut/spring assembly?

so far so good though with the ride and everything? I think I may go with this suspension based on your write-up and review... it sounds like what I'm exactly looking for... no other mods needed though like the regular Mugen SS though right?

Old 09-18-2007, 07:35 AM
5 Year Member
ahh.. I see.. ya the way you described it then is progressive... like if you look at the regular Mugen SS they are not progressive as you can tell by the springs (wind the same way throughout).. you wouldn't happen to have a pic of the suspension before you installed it would you? like the strut/spring assembly?

so far so good though with the ride and everything? I think I may go with this suspension based on your write-up and review... it sounds like what I'm exactly looking for... no other mods needed though like the regular Mugen SS though right?
No, sorry I do not have a pic of the suspension before it was installed, I myself do not have a digital camera, I was only able to take pics of my car after my girlfriend came over which by that time was already to late.

The only problem I have found is the rear suspension seems a little noise. I have already tried flipping the spring, and that did help, but it didn't make the car handle the way it originally did. So I flipped it back, and will try to find a solution to this. Also no other mods are needed. Suspension is completely assembled and fitment as you would expect is perfect.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:33 AM
No, sorry I do not have a pic of the suspension before it was installed, I myself do not have a digital camera, I was only able to take pics of my car after my girlfriend came over which by that time was already to late.

The only problem I have found is the rear suspension seems a little noise. I have already tried flipping the spring, and that did help, but it didn't make the car handle the way it originally did. So I flipped it back, and will try to find a solution to this. Also no other mods are needed. Suspension is completely assembled and fitment as you would expect is perfect.
uh oh... noise?? what kinda noise are you hearing? I'm assuming the rear springs are progressive as well, so the tigher coiled part of the springs are at the bottom or top?

Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 PM
5 Year Member
uh oh... noise?? what kinda noise are you hearing? I'm assuming the rear springs are progressive as well, so the tigher coiled part of the springs are at the bottom or top?
The noise sounds like the springs creaking. The way the springs felt best were with the tighter coils on the bottom. I'm going to try and grease the inside of the rubber bushing where it sits around the extension of the frame. What do you guys think it could be?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:48 PM
The noise sounds like the springs creaking. The way the springs felt best were with the tighter coils on the bottom. I'm going to try and grease the inside of the rubber bushing where it sits around the extension of the frame. What do you guys think it could be?
are there instructions on which way to mount the springs? they felt best with tighter coils on bottom but made noise? and when you flipped them noise was gone but handled like crap?

Old 09-21-2007, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
are there instructions on which way to mount the springs? they felt best with tighter coils on bottom but made noise? and when you flipped them noise was gone but handled like crap?
The instructions are in Japanese and there is no indication as to which way the spring in installed. Both ways made noise, only the other way made less noise, but handled worse. So finally after driving in the rain yesterday the noise significantly subsided, at this point I don't even know if I can hear it anymore. I think the suspension just needed some settling time and all the things I was doing messing with it wasn't helping it sit right. Hopefully this will continue, I will report back after I today.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:27 AM

Always tighter coils UP !!!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:39 PM
The instructions are in Japanese and there is no indication as to which way the spring in installed. Both ways made noise, only the other way made less noise, but handled worse. So finally after driving in the rain yesterday the noise significantly subsided, at this point I don't even know if I can hear it anymore. I think the suspension just needed some settling time and all the things I was doing messing with it wasn't helping it sit right. Hopefully this will continue, I will report back after I today.
so the way you have it now the tighter coils are at the bottom? (how you originally had it) ... it's good to hear that the noise is subsiding.. could be b/c you greased the springs though.. but keep us up to date!

Old 09-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by Misha
Always tighter coils UP !!!
is there a specific reason for this?

Old 09-22-2007, 12:46 AM
is there a specific reason for this?
Two reasons :
1. Open/wider coils are smoothly absorbing impact energy and gradualy spring becomes harder in controlable progessive way.
2. Heavier part of the spring (tight coils) is up to the car body, thus not creating unsprung weight = less bouncig/accelerating of the spring = dampers smooth-out body mouvments in a shortest time

Old 09-22-2007, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
Now the noise has subsided completely, for one reason or another. As for the direction of the coils I looked at the instructions again and although they don't indicate a direction for the rear coils during installation, under the part summary they did show the rear springs and they were faced with tighter coils down. From this I am assuming that, that is the way they are supposed to be installed in the car. So the way I initally installed it was the correct way.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:40 PM
interesting... Misha's explanation makes sense... but you have em installed according to the instructions ... which is right, which is wrong?? and you said with the tighter coils on the bottom it felt "better" too right?

Old 09-22-2007, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, personally I thought the springs with the coil down felt better. Since I can't read Japanese I'm going to stick with the way the parts summary showed the rear coils as being right side up.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:44 PM
how did it feel with the tight coils up? bouncy? harsher? I'd like to hear some feedback on this.. how it's "supposed" to be... does Kings have any insight on this?

Old 09-22-2007, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Yup, the suspension with the tight coils up was much harsher. My impression is that the weight of the car's body is trying to compress the spring from top to bottom, so in that instance its closing the hardest of the spring first. Also another reason why it might've been making noise is that I removed the plastic coil silencer on one end of the spring. I only did this though because it was not fitting in the mount properly. Now that the noise is gone I'm glad I did it.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:44 PM
well, the good thing is at least the rear's are easy to take off and on... I never sit in the back anyways but if you can feel it from the front being much harsher then I may go with the tighter side on the bottom... I'm still debating on this or the T1R dampers mated with a mild dropped spring... (cost savings) but you seem to be pretty happy with it so far...

the fronts are non progressive though right?

Old 09-23-2007, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
The fronts are progressive as well. Yup the sound has completely gone away and now I am loving this suspension. I know honestly that you can probably get something comparable for a lot less, but I feel like my money couldn't have been better spent. I'm going to try and go for a ride in fellow fitfreakers cars at our next meet and I'll give the best detailed report in regards to my suspension compared to theirs.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:36 PM
that would be awsome.. so how did the fronts come then if they were pre-assembled? tighter coils on top or bottom?

I probably could get something comparable for less as far as ride and what not, but from the sounds of the 5ways it seems "perfect" for what I'm looking for too... finding the right combination with different dampers and springs is just too time consuming and could end up costing a lot more in the long run

Old 12-21-2007, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
bump for an update. you wouldn't have any more pictures of the damper bodies themselves, would you? do you know what the spring rates are?

Quick Reply: Mugen 5 Way Adjustable Suspension