Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

EBC Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
EBC Brake Upgrade

As promised here are the pics of my new brakes. They were purchased from Brake Rotors | Car Brakes | Ceramic Brakes | Disc Brakes | EBC Brakes.

Rotors and pads were from a 93-95 Civic (with no ABS). Exact fit. Got slotted and dimpled rotors and redstuff pads. I'm gonna call them today and let them know they should update their website to make them available for the Fit.

Had my mechanic install them when he replaced the brake fluid. He usually removes the screws from the rotors for me so i can do it myself but with the inclement weather i didn't want to wait.

Much needed upgrade. I haven't gotten on them yet because i have to break them in but the pedal feel is much more responsive and the initial bite is much better.

Excuse the dirty rims please.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:25 AM
So are the rotors from a 92-95 Civic or are the brake pads from a 92-95 Civic? Please clarify this for me, or I may have missed it somewhere in your post.

Sorry if I did!

Old 08-21-2007, 07:29 AM
5 Year Member
Could you please provide us with the part numbers for the pads and the rotors?

Old 08-21-2007, 07:30 AM
5 Year Member
Here ya go:

Vehicle:
Honda Civic 1.6EX 93-95 (NO ABS)

Pads:
EBC Redstuff low-dust part number DP3891C.

Rotors:
part number GD850 (10.3" - 4x100 bolt pattern)

Old 08-21-2007, 09:22 AM
So all of these part numbers are Civic part numbers?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
For now until they update their website. If you are going to get them go to Brake Rotors | Car Brakes | Ceramic Brakes | Disc Brakes | EBC Brakes and select the vehicle first then you will see a list of parts. The part numbers should match up to the ones i posted.

Edit:
FYI...if you are just looking for a basic upgrade go with the Greenstuff pads. I have them on my Element (front and rear) and they are fantastic. I got the Redstuff because of my driving style, i wanted to see if they were better than the green's, and they look sweet under the stock calipers. Either way it is important to go light when breaking them in ESPECIALLY if you get the red's.

Last edited by leonine; 08-21-2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
nice leo!

I just slapped on a set of Power Slot cryo treated rotors and new pads as well.

Great minds thinking alike bro!

Last edited by Wave; 08-22-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
Guys, do you experience any pulsing on the pedal or increased noise level under breaking?
Wave, you know what I am after. I posted on your thread about sidefects I had on the Passat.
I am tempted to do it, but holding off so far.
EBC Green pads caused me to lose brakes when I pushed it in the canyons on a VW! Maybe it was the extra weight of the car, or the fact it was a VW. LOL! I will go with Red ones if you guys convince me to replace rotors as well.
I am curious if you, Leonine, are experiencing more feedback since your rotors are dimpled too.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
[quote=Wave;168159]nice leo!

I just slapped on a set of Power Slot cryo treated rotors and new pads as well.

Great minds thinking alike bro!

/quote]

Nice setup! Are those EBC reds too? sweet

Old 08-23-2007, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ciburri
Guys, do you experience any pulsing on the pedal or increased noise level under breaking?
Wave, you know what I am after. I posted on your thread about sidefects I had on the Passat.
I am tempted to do it, but holding off so far.
EBC Green pads caused me to lose brakes when I pushed it in the canyons on a VW! Maybe it was the extra weight of the car, or the fact it was a VW. LOL! I will go with Red ones if you guys convince me to replace rotors as well.
I am curious if you, Leonine, are experiencing more feedback since your rotors are dimpled too.
I have had no pulsing as of yet nor did i ever have it on my Element with green's all around. I do have more noise because the rotors are slotted. The EBC rotors have a much wider slot the the ones Wave got. When i apply the brakes i can hear the air going through the rotors. can you explain what you mean by feedback?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 AM
5 Year Member
I'm still breaking in the rotors...apparently there is a tempering process for that must be followed for cryo treated rotors so I have not driven it hard yet.

So far however no feedback or pulsating that I can detect but like leo said, the slots on my rotors are somewhat narrower.

Also, I'm not using EBC pads. I actually jumped on the brake pads/shoe deal that was located in the vendor area. Extr3memotorsports I believe was the vendor. $135 delivered for front & rear ("street compound")- not a bad deal at all.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by leonine
When i apply the brakes i can hear the air going through the rotors. can you explain what you mean by feedback?
On the Passat that actually had a lot more soundproofing, under braking I could hear noise like when pads wear down and start grinding metal on metal. Not too loud, but enough to make in anoying!
I also felt vibration through the steering wheel and when I had my hand on the shifter (automatic w/tiptronic). Frequency of pulsing was much faster than when rotors are just warped. It could only come from multiple slots on the rotor. Just for the hell of it, I put old, worn out rotors back on and all issues went away. I put slotted back on for safety and wet braking.
Car was weird as is! I never heard so much noise from tires as I did on the Passat! It was worst between 35-60 mph! My first and last VW! My friends first generation Golf felt like it was a luxury car! Even with trashed tires on it! Same with my CRX!
I was sooooo glad I got rid of that car! Those VW are nice up to 50-60K miles and after that god help you!
Back into Honda world I got '06 Civic EX sedan and a Fit within 3 months and never looked back!

Thanks for all your feedback guys! Sounds like it was a car issue and not rotors!

Old 08-24-2007, 04:07 AM
Does your car have ABS? Will replacing the rotors affect the ABS system?

nice setup btw

Old 08-24-2007, 05:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ciburri
On the Passat that actually had a lot more soundproofing, under braking I could hear noise like when pads wear down and start grinding metal on metal. Not too loud, but enough to make in annoying!
The EBC rotors are similar in noise i think. Because of the wide slots and dimples probably. When i brake lightly i hear the air rushing through but if i brake hard i do hear a noise similar to what you are talking about. Not concerned about it though. Between my Skunk2 cat-back and the motor mounts you can hear me a 1/4 mile away. I actually started putting the silencer on in the morning because i am leaving earlier for work and i don't want to wake up my wife and child. What a difference. Too quiet for me. When i get to the end of my road i take it off.

EBC does make a slotted rotor that has no dimples and narrower slots which they claim will reduce the noise but still help with cooling the brakes.

Part number USR850 (the pic is not the actual one as you can see it is 5 lug but that is what it looks like)

Check it out here:

Untitled Document

Old 08-24-2007, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alabastersilverjazz
Does your car have ABS? Will replacing the rotors affect the ABS system?

nice setup btw
Yes the US models do have ABS. So did my Element and i have had no problems with either vehicle.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:47 AM
how do those red pads feel after a little more seating time?

I just replaced my stock pads with some Bendix Ceramic pads, and I LOVE them. The pedal is MUCH firmer and the response is very linear. The further down the pedal goes, the harder it grabs, rather than having no response in part of the travel and sort of a "bite" when the pads grab.

On a side note, I now find it very difficult to press the brake pedal all the way to the floor, when before it was very easy to do (albeit unneccesary).

I'm just wondering how you feel about those red/green stuff pads compared to the Bendix ones.

Thanks for the pics btw! Definately considering those rotors... Theyre really good looking!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
I can't compare the 2 because I never had Bendix products but so far they are great. I am still breaking them in but i have got on them a few times and they are outstanding.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:38 AM
Drilled and slotted Rotors!

Yup for all you guys out there that wanna change to drilled and slotted I just put them on my fit and i love them. There for a 95 honda civic (del slow and yes the fit is faster but not by much lol) with ABS. I have no problems with them. I work for AUTOZONE and thats were i got them for $150 for the set.