Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

Lowering spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Lowering spring Question

Hi All:
I'm trying to find out (taking a survey) if Skunk2 lowering springs are what I really want (or worth getting) for my currently, stock daily driver before my husband surprises me with them.

What are their Pros and Cons?

Thanks everyone for your Input/Opinions/suggestions/help/advice.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Old 12-28-2006, 12:58 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
i have the skunk2 springs and they are not that bad for my standards...i have had a few women in the car that have not said anything about the somewhat little bounces the car does , but you have to expect that when you lower the vehicle...the skunk2 springs did a great job when i had the car going through a course set up with cones (autox) really did what they are meant to do there...if more comfort is what you want than i would look more into the Eibach sportline or pro- kit...little more dinero$$, but very well crafted springs. I like the skunk2 springs and they are less expensive and well made springs (track proven)

Old 12-28-2006, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know how close these are to T1R, but if they are just the s-coil/lowering coil and not shorter shocks expect a rougher ride.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:12 AM
If I may bastardize this topic for a moment; but I see lowering springs of any kind in this way.
"It's like a women who wears high-heels, it may not be the most ultimate comfortable feeling in the world BUT IT'S SURE SEXY AS HELL!!!"

In general I see the safety of less acceleration squat, brake dive, body roll and pitch of the factory chasis. Yes, Honda made an awesome product for this class of car but remember the short wheel base and ride quality compared to midsize cars in-general has a firmer road feel to begin with and depending on what you drove before the factory feel may be enough.

Older folk who crave the 70's/80's floating mattress feel of the proverbial land yacht in an Oldsmobile, Cadillac, Lincoln etc. may not agree and consider this a rice generation thing.

Are you a driving enthusiast? What's your age?(not that it matters) Do you just want it for the look? What's the climate like in your area? Are you really asking what's the softest feeling lowering spring out there since your husdband is inclined to get some anyways?

Old 12-28-2006, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Where in NY are you? I just took the Skunk2's off my car and installed T1R coilovers.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:24 PM
Question

Hey Wave,
In Westchester.
I'm asking for info because I could swear I read somewhere (of course, can't find where now & I could absolutely be incorrect) The Skunk2's can cause damage of some sort.
I plan to put rims and tires on after the winter (thought we'd be gettin some snow and thought I would get a feel for the car 1st) but don't want to drop with Skunk if theres a potential for major issues.
Thanks for any and all help and direction

Last edited by Lilbigwheelz; 12-28-2006 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Lilbigwheelz
I'm asking for info because I could swear I read somewhere (of course, can't find where now & I could absolutely be incorrect) The Skunk2's can cause damage of some sort.
You must have read this thread: click below

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...t-15-rims.html

Old 12-28-2006, 07:13 PM
because you are changing out the springs without changing the shocks, you are putting more stress on the shocks, therefore causing them to potentially fail faster than normal...this is also why there is a bouncy feeling with springs. coil overs match shocks to springs so those are the best package. for springs, look at the drop and the spring rate. with snow in your area, you may end up plowing some snow if you drop the car too low.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
My experience -

Hey Wave,
In Westchester.
I plan to put rims and tires on after the winter (thought we'd be gettin some snow and thought I would get a feel for the car 1st) but don't want to drop with Skunk if theres a potential for major issues.
Thanks for any and all help and direction
The skunk2's will drop your car pretty low. You'll experience a fairly lousy ride on anything less than smooth roads. I drive from Suffolk County to NYC to get to work and the stock shocks started leaking in a couple of months. You also have to worry about smashing the front lip on any driveway with an incline and parking blocks as well as scraping the resonator of your exhaust on speed bumps. But it did look great!

Now that I have coilovers the ride is 100% improved and it's adjustable so I can mess around and fine tune it to my tastes. Yeah, it cost a bundle but it's the right way to go.

Old 12-29-2006, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
Gf210....

Just got my GF210 Tanabe installed and so far I am loving it...

Old 12-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Question

Hi CarDemon,
Are you a driving enthusiast? What's your age?(not that it matters) Do you just want it for the look? What's the climate like in your area? Are you really asking what's the softest feeling lowering spring out there since your husdband is inclined to get some anyways?
No, not a driving enthusiast but if possible, I would like to have my cake and eat it too in the sense of getting the best comfort level (the 40th plateau is nearing ) possible at and the sleekest look while avoiding any major mechanical/suspension issues. The climate here in NY is very unusual this year, normally we have snow by now (fingers crossed, no jinxing here) so I don't even know what to say about that.

I'm all ears for direction & suggestions regarding a good combo (shock/spring)?

Much Thanks,

Oh, and Thanks to everyone for their advice and help, it's always appreciated

Old 12-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi CarDemon, I would like to have my cake and eat it too in the sense of getting the best comfort level (the 40th plateau is nearing ) possible at and the sleekest look while avoiding any major mechanical/suspension issues.
Nothing wrong with that at all! I'm past my punk ass Fast & Furious days and I wear preppy casual to work. I like the Sport Compact Scene look without being too ricey with stickers on my vehicle, Park Bench Spoiler and Coffee Can Muffler.

Psssst. I would like to let you in on a little secret though. From past cars and being on 3 other online carboards, I have found that H&R Sport Springs have a subtle underground following with rave reviews from their users. I find the newer generation of SCC fans are into the more flashier brands out of Japan/USA as they ought too;I respect Japanese engineering period.

But with regards to chasis and spring development the German culture and engineering pioneers rich in Race Heritage of many kinds, have Spring Companies that know their stuff with years under their belt. Some of the best handling factory cars like Porshe, BMW, VW etc., have some notable German Spring manufacturers develop their OEM springs.

Our Fit will have a 1.6fr/1.4Rr drop with the H&R Sports taking that high 'ass in the air stance' away. I have had them on my Honda Accord, Mazda Protege 5 and HOnda Civics. They don't sag overtime, they are firm but not harsh and are developed around our OEM struts/shocks and chasis dimensions.

Being farther N. than you but in Toronto nearing the Great Lakes we pretty much have the same climate. The occasional heavy snowfall but global warming has had no use for my winter tires as yet. Our municiple and city maintenance crews up here in suburban and urban Greater Toronto Area is awesome with salting and snowremoval anyways. When there is a heavy downfall....most people ain't going anywhere at all, so by lowering 1.5inches approx. is no real biggie.

Just some thoughts.

Old 12-29-2006, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
A big part of the reason for the bad ride quality with aftermarket springs is that they don't work well with the stock shocks. If you find a set of springs with rates and height you like, you could consider waiting for a good set of adjustable shocks/struts from a company like Koni, KYB, or Bilstein.

While full coilover setups look nice, the major reasons to use them are that they allow you to corner-weight the car and they allow for basically infinite spring choices. If you're not planning to corner-weight or to use custom spring rates, coilovers probably aren't necessary for you.

Most of the aftermarket springs would ride much, much better if they had proper damping. When adjustable shocks are available for the Fit, this will be an option.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
eibach prokits are my vote, nice subtle drop, feels like a factory ride, and backed by the name of eibach..over 40 years in specializing in suspension

contact me if you want a set, i have them on sale right now

Old 01-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Thumbs up lowering springs

I would listen to albert about the eibach pro springs. I have them on my ride and they are great. In fact I purchased them from him for $180.00 shiped to my door. They drop the car 1.6 in the front and 1.3 in in the rear. The ride is very nice not bumpy at all. The performance from these is excellent. My car handles very well now. These springs are progressive springs so that means it will have a nice ride but also handle like a dream. Plus eibach is a suspension company so you can't go wrong. Hope this helps.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Hondady, any chance you could post a pic of your car. I am thinking of buying the Eibachs myself.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Mynute 1
Hondady, any chance you could post a pic of your car. I am thinking of buying the Eibachs myself.
check out this thread/pic combo with Eibachs. Eibachs are another well respected company RICH IN A VARIETY RACE AND MOTORSPORTS HERITAGE.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...installed.html

Old 01-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by CarDemon
check out this thread/pic combo with Eibachs. Eibachs are another well respected company RICH IN A VARIETY RACE AND MOTORSPORTS HERITAGE.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...installed.html
These look like a very good set. Do they work well around the stock struts (i.e do they wear them out faster, or cause poor ride quality because of the mis-match between the spring-rate and the strut)? Is the suspension and handling stiffer? How much ride comfort is sacraficed when compared to stock specs? The ride height looks perfect, as I also live in Canada (Calgary) where we do get our fair share of snow once in a while. How much did they cost you? If I can be satisfied with these answers I may pick up a set myself.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:03 PM
I will as soon as I take some pics of it. Just installed my spoon b-pipe and tanabe concept g axle back yesterday. Check out the link car demon posted in this post. My cars blue just like the ones in the pic.

Quick Reply: Lowering spring Question