Fit Suspension & Brake Modifications Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the Honda Fit

TEIN Street Basis "coilovers" fact sheet ( I Just got them. )

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
TEIN Street Basis "coilovers" fact sheet ( I Just got them. )

These are some comments about the TEIN Street Basis kit left by other users of this very forum:
Just installed these on mine a few weeks ago, replacing badly blown T1R GD coilovers.

The T1R's were pretty awful when I got them, as they were meant for a GD Fit, and I just kinda crammed them in. They're also 6k/6k so way too stiff for street driving with the GE. The fronts didn't have upper spring seats, so they clunked badly. The rears were missing the sleeve that goes in the bushings, but I was an idiot and didnt notice so I thought they were clunky because of that. Oh well.

The Tein Street Basis Z coilovers are crazy cheap for what you get. The ride even fully lowered up front is pretty comfortable, more so than stock! Body roll isn't completely flat, but damn, it's pretty good. Confidence inspiring. Suspension travel is decent, so I'm not slamming the bump stops on brick roads or anything, even all the way down. It's also really quiet! No clunks or pops.

Cons: all the way down is definitely NOT slammed, so if you're going for that look, buy something else.

----------------------------------------

Got these installed by local shop Speedstar today (very professional shop! Highly recommended for anyone in the GTA area). I was initially going to purchase the Street Advance but they were on back order and I didn't feel like waiting / nor did I think I would need the damping adjustment for a street setup.

I had Eibach Pro-kits installed on stock shocks previously. Though I liked the way it looked when it was lowered, I did not enjoy the ride. I have my Teins set up so they are as low as my Pro-Kits before (I am not into the slammed look and I frequent parking lots with speed bumps / steep driveways therefore ground clearance is necessary). I absolutely LOVE how these ride. I have read some reviews saying these are too soft. However, in my opinion they are just PERFECT for street setup. They absorb imperfections of the road BETTER than the stock shock / stock spring set up. Though they do not corner completely FLAT but body-roll is reduced greatly. Handling is greatly improved for spirited driving.

Next summer I may consider taking it to the track after I get a set of new summer tires (currently on Falken 912 all seasons). I will take pictures tomorrow / next few days because it was pouring today. After my experience with these coilovers, I am never going to do lowering springs / stock shocks ever again. The ride can't compare at all.

--------------------------------------------------

I have the Street Basis for 3.5 years now and it's still going strong. I assume it's plug n' play, a shop installed it for me along with camber kit without a problem.

--------------------------------------------------------

I just installed Street Advance Z's (GSB80-91AS2) on my gk5, biggest takeaway is RIDE COMFORT.... WOW! dare I say it .... they are MORE comfy than stock. MORE comfy than koni orange + tein s tech springs

in my case, I do corner flat (maybe because I have a rear sway?) .... when playing with the car on local twistys. perhaps a better test would be on a track or an auto x day.

Conclusion = for the money, these coilovers are def worth it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

GSB80-91AS2 - $589 USD (the retail price in 2018 (before tariffs))
================================================== ============

HERE: I WEIGHED THE COMPONENTS

The rear TEIN dampers with the washer and bumpstop = 5.8 lbs.

Front TEiN dampers are a tick more than 9.5 lbs. (give or take .1 lbs.)

The front spring seats are .8 lbs. (weighed individually) or 1.5 lbs. (weighted together.) Again, this discrepancy is obviously due to measurement but it's close enough.

The rear coil springs are 3.2 lbs each.

The front coil springs are 3.1 to 3.2 lbs. each.

Taken together, everything weighed (5.8*2) + (9.5*2) + 1.5 lbs. + (3.2*2) + (3.15*2) = 45 lbs.

We'll just say the entire kit is 45 lbs.

How does this compare with the OEM set up? When I remove the parts, I will record this info.

Information recorded 4/22/2021: Front damper with only sway bar link attached (no nut, no bumpstop): 8.8 lbs.

The front coil spring itself is exactly 4.0 pound

The VAI International replacement damper is: 4.0 lbs (these dampers replaced the stock ones, so we don't know how heavy the stock OEM ones are.)

The OEM rear coil spring is: 3.8 lbs.

Overall we can say that BOTH TEIN front and rear damper is about 1.5 to 2.0 lb. heavier than stock.

I didn't weight the upper threaded seats for the rear coil springs because they basically just mount on the frame of the car and are thus 99% sprung weight. We don't need to worry about sprung weight. Also they're fairly light. Aww what the heck, they're 1.6 lbs. each.
=========================================

ALL COMPONENTS WERE WEIGHED BECAUSE I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT UNSPRUNG WEIGHT-----HERE'S WHAT WE CAN SAY ABOUT UNSPRUNG WEIGHT:

THE FRONT DAMPERS ARE A LITTLE HEAVIER THAN STOCK, THAT'S NOT GOOD BUT NOT TERRIBLE EITHER. THE DAMPERS ARE PURELY UNSPRUNG, BUT THE SPRINGS ARE ONLY PARTIALLY UNSPRUNG, THEY KINDA SORTA MOUNT TO THE BODY, SO THEY'RE PARTIALLY UNSPRUNG.

WHEN IT COMES TO UNSPRUNG WEIGHT, THE TIRES ARE THE WORST, THEN THE WHEELS, THEN THE ROTORS, THEN THE CALIPERS AND DAMPERS. TIRES, WHEELS, ROTORS ARE ROTATIONAL UNSPRUNG WEIGHT (THE WORST KIND.) CALIPERS AND DAMPERS ARE UNSPRUNG BUT NOT ROTATIONAL.

I REDUCED UNSPRUNG WEIGHT BY CHOOSING THE KONIG HELIUM WHEEL (11 LBS.) AND THE TIRE IS WHATEVER CAME WITH THE CAR, 175/65/15 SUMITOMOS THAT WEIGHT 17 LBS. ( WHEN I REPLACE THEM, IT WILL BE 15 LB. 185/60R15'S)

Last edited by hmarkop; 04-23-2021 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2021, 11:11 PM
5 Year Member
I will post pictures of the kit after uploading the pictures to imgur.com

Old 04-22-2021, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
Old 04-23-2021, 03:59 AM
Nice write up! Thanks for the info!

Old 04-23-2021, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Interesting....I have some Street Advance Z coilovers on order. Are swaybar end links included with the kit? Because I've seen I think one video for the GD coilovers where the end links were included...not sure about GE.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
Interesting....I have some Street Advance Z coilovers on order. Are swaybar end links included with the kit? Because I've seen I think one video for the GD coilovers where the end links were included...not sure about GE.
They are absolutely *NOT* included.

I had a real dickens of a time removing the old ones, had to drill out the hole to get the bottom nut out.

I replaced both with MOOG sway bar end links, per the recommendation of folks online. THey seem excellent.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
BTW, you have them 'on order,' did you get one of the last ones?

They appear to be out of stock.

I'm certain I took the last Street Basis kit.

I feel like I should have gotten the Street Advance, I think I *DO* want the adjustability.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hmarkop
BTW, you have them 'on order,' did you get one of the last ones?

They appear to be out of stock.

I'm certain I took the last Street Basis kit.

I feel like I should have gotten the Street Advance, I think I *DO* want the adjustability.
Yes, they're backordered and estimated to come in June according to TEIN. I have an order with Redline360.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ikutoisahobo
ALL COMPONENTS WERE WEIGHED BECAUSE I'M SENSITIVE ABOUT UNSPRUNG WEIGHT-----HERE'S WHAT WE CAN SAY ABOUT UNSPRUNG WEIGHT:

THE FRONT DAMPERS ARE A LITTLE HEAVIER THAN STOCK, THAT'S NOT GOOD BUT NOT TERRIBLE EITHER. THE DAMPERS ARE PURELY UNSPRUNG, BUT THE SPRINGS ARE ONLY PARTIALLY UNSPRUNG, THEY KINDA SORTA MOUNT TO THE BODY, SO THEY'RE PARTIALLY UNSPRUNG.

WHEN IT COMES TO UNSPRUNG WEIGHT, THE TIRES ARE THE WORST, THEN THE WHEELS, THEN THE ROTORS, THEN THE CALIPERS AND DAMPERS. TIRES, WHEELS, ROTORS ARE ROTATIONAL UNSPRUNG WEIGHT (THE WORST KIND.) CALIPERS AND DAMPERS ARE UNSPRUNG BUT NOT ROTATIONAL.

I REDUCED UNSPRUNG WEIGHT BY CHOOSING THE KONIG HELIUM WHEEL (11 LBS.) AND THE TIRE IS WHATEVER CAME WITH THE CAR, 175/65/15 SUMITOMOS THAT WEIGHT 17 LBS. ( WHEN I REPLACE THEM, IT WILL BE 15 LB. 185/60R15'S)
According to the TEIN USA blog, there are a few functional reasons why the damper body is larger (and thus a little heavier and uglier) as explained in this article:
https://studiovrm.net/racing-secrets...ein-coilovers/

Old 05-01-2021, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
So, after putting 50 miles on them, my opinion is that they are quite an improvement over stock. I have things set at 1.75 inches below stock height. I haven't had any scraping or ground clearance issues at all, there's no alignment issue. Body roll has been noticeably reduced, overall it's doing everything I expected BUT.. it's still softer than I would like--I really want to feel the pavement more. I think I should have gotten the FLEX Z which has a 224 in./lb. front spring rate. vs. 168 for these Street Basis. As it is though, they're quite good!

Old 05-01-2021, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
An idea to explore: using the front coil springs from the TEIN Flex Z kit.

I'm going to give TEIN USA a call about ordering just the front coil springs for my STREET BASIS Z kit. The FLEX Z springs are "1K" stiffer. I believe the dampers should be able to handle that just fine.

How much will it cost?

Old 05-03-2021, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
So, TEIN does offer a stiffer front coilover spring at 4K (instead of 3K) for the front--they have one that is an exact replacement for the stock springs from kit, same height, same fit and other important measurements. They also have one that's 0.9 inches shorter that will also fit. Guy at TEIN USA saids the dampers should handle the additional stiffness just fine. A pair will cost 120 dollars, I would have to buy it directly from one of their distributors. NOT BAD!

This page shows all the straight springs that can be ordered for any coilover kits (TEIN and otherwise):
https://www.tein.com/products/standa...rice_list.html

I'm learning more about the coilover aftermarket world: One can replace the springs and go up or down in stiffness + - 2K for most.

Last edited by hmarkop; 05-03-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:06 PM
5 Year Member
Just wondering if you have any details on how long the rear shock is on the TEIN kit compared to the stock rear shock. Is it shorter in overall length or the same?

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM
do the street advance z for the 2009-2014 fit on a gk5? i’m getting mixed reviews