Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

My CAI Heatshield

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
Talking My CAI Heatshield

For lack of a better place to post it this should do. I didn't do a full DIY for this since the CAI was a DIY and I seriously doubt that anyone has one even close to being similar.

I wanted to create a heatshield since my CAI is inside the engine compartment. This would also force the intake to pull air from the fender area but without the problems associated with putting the filter inside the fender like my brothers Xb.

I wanted to make it seal on the top with the hood but to be open so when I open the hood I could see the condition of the filter. I came close but didn't quite achieve that goal. None the less I like how it turned out.

Anyway here are the pics.

I took out the plastic cover inside the engine compartment right next to the headlight so it would be able to pull in more air than just from where the stock intake got it's air.

I believe this design will work out good. The fit is snug enough that it doesn't need any type of securement to the area where it sets and it's at an angle so if by chance any water did find it's way in there it would drain out easily. The structure is rigid and has a pretty thick yet flexable plastic center wraped with Rodsulate.

Later I will most likely come up with a way to make it seal off with the hood when the hood is closed so it will HAVE to get air from outside the engine compartment by way of the openings to the fender. Thinking about it I have some thick foam insulation that I may try to use for that, it's thick enough to make the seal and soft enough not to damage the hood liner.

Last edited by 2hot6ft2; 09-23-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:10 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
backyard racing

Old 09-24-2006, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Shadetree performance

Old 09-24-2006, 10:24 AM
5 Year Member
good indeed!

Old 09-24-2006, 01:39 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
hey, you made your radiator guard glow in the dark? can you show some night pix? also what are thoes blue headlight rings?

Old 09-24-2006, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
Wink Just the teeth not the guard itself

Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
hey, you made your radiator guard glow in the dark? can you show some night pix? also what are thoes blue headlight rings?
I made some glow in the dark teeth out of glow in the dark ceiling stars that I found on eBay. My digital camera doesn't take good pictures at night otherwise I would have already posted some. As for the glow in the dark headlight rings, here is the package they came in.

I found them at Advanced Auto Parts it's hard to read the part number in the pic but it's 45-1003. They go on the base of the headlight bulb and are for bulbs 9003 H4 and they are blue. I couldn't find them on their web site but they were in the store near the LED accessories.

Makes the headlights glow a nice blue after driving at night. The teeth don't glow for a real long time so I'm thinking about getting some Illuminite made by duplicolor and painting them so they will glow bright and for a long time. More info on Illuminite here http://www.duplicolor.com/products/illuminite.html

Even thought about having some glow in the dark flames painted on the sides of the car using it, and since my car is white, they would be barely even noticable during the daytime. We'll see on that idea, I may try a decal and paint it first to see how it looks first since the decal could be removed.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:00 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
thoes headlight things look intresting.. also can you remind me what you made the teeth from? iam thinking about making a grille to replace the gaping hole since i also seem to be getting a ton of bugs and trash

Old 09-24-2006, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Wink Sure thing

thoes headlight things look intresting.. also can you remind me what you made the teeth from? iam thinking about making a grille to replace the gaping hole since i also seem to be getting a ton of bugs and trash
Ok, first the teeth are not the protection for the radiator. They are just a strange idea I came up with. Here is the lower radiator protection mod thread. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/show...lower+radiator

Here is where to get the glow in the dark stars if you want to do the glow in the dark teeth.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._promot_widget

I just cut the 4 biggest stars with sicissors to make the teeth and picked up some small L brackets at wal-mart then used some epoxy to secure them in place but I suppose a hot wax glue gun would accomplish the same thing.

Hmmm, looking at it now it kinda looks like the old Star Trek insignia that was on their uniforms.

Later I'll probibly make some smaller teeth with the smaller stars that you can see in the pic. and the full points that I cut off the big stars. But I'll wait until doing the Illuminite and paint them first since it would be a pain trying to paint the small ones while they are on the car.

Hope that answers your question.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I was thinking it would have to be pretty secure to prevent that from happening and thanks claymore.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member

Removed the teeth and painted them with the Illuminite and picked up a hot glue gun which works a lot better.

For those that may be considering doing the teeth here are the L brackets I used this time are just Nylon Shelf Supports. I just clipped off the stubs with wire cutters to make them L shaped. The big clear ones I used for the big teeth and the small white ones for the smaller teeth.

I haven't seen them at night yet but I think it will be cool. Still haven't decided if I want to add more small teeth to the top row. Don't want to fill it in too much there was a lot of garbage and one huge dragonfly that I had to pull out of the grill guard.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Nice teeth- especially with Halloween around the corner.

Anyone with a HOM FIT wanna try it?

You can be added to these hot rods with teeth-
http://www.grilleteeth.com/photo/photos.asp

Old 10-01-2006, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks and by the way your avitar isn't showing up MINI-Fit.

Hmmm, wonder if they'll post mine.