Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

Theres Nothing Better Than The Real Thing

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
I'm really not trying to troll here, but can you link me to some of those pictures??? I've been scouring the internet for far too long and I can only find pictures of other cars and they all had the airbag compartment break open from the center. Also, the stock emblem is held in with tabs which the OP doesn't have on his new emblem, which is held on only with adhesive.
Ya i wuldnt mind seeing some pics too

Old 04-30-2010, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member
we just want you to be safe not sorry

Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by redrumm
we just want you to be safe not sorry
Yep thats its good u guys are getting all this great info for me. I just cant stand how shitty the stock one got messed up and had to do something so i figured this was an awesome replacement

Old 04-30-2010, 10:49 PM
Well after posting that, i can't find any of the pics I was thinking of! I wasn't talking out my ass I swear! I might be remembering the passenger side airbag which does come out from under a flap, rather than the drivers bag. I watched about a dozen versions of the offset frontal crash test in super slo mo trying to see how the drivers bag deploys, no joy. I would glue one side of the emblem down like my life depended on it, that way when the airbag pops the new emblem will shoot off to the opposite side where there is no glue holding it on! Either way, it looks fabulous! Who the hell wants to think about their airbags all the time anyway? LOL

Old 04-30-2010, 11:26 PM
5 Year Member
So I was driving in my Fit today thinking about your emblem issue, and what grtpumpkin said about it and something occured to me. If you do get in an accident and that emblem does come shooting off into the headliner, where exactly do you think it's going to go next??? Ricocheting right back into your face again, that's where. Just food for thought.

EDIT: Also, you can clearly see where the airbag rips apart in the middle horizontally. There is a discoloration/ raised area along the line of perforation.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin
Well after posting that, i can't find any of the pics I was thinking of! I wasn't talking out my ass I swear! I might be remembering the passenger side airbag which does come out from under a flap, rather than the drivers bag. I watched about a dozen versions of the offset frontal crash test in super slo mo trying to see how the drivers bag deploys, no joy. I would glue one side of the emblem down like my life depended on it, that way when the airbag pops the new emblem will shoot off to the opposite side where there is no glue holding it on! Either way, it looks fabulous! Who the hell wants to think about their airbags all the time anyway? LOL
ya i didnt know it was guna b this big of a deal. I thought people wuld b for it and not against it. But if we can figure it out the way to keep it on without hurting anyone then thats a big plus.

So I was driving in my Fit today thinking about your emblem issue, and what grtpumpkin said about it and something occured to me. If you do get in an accident and that emblem does come shooting off into the headliner, where exactly do you think it's going to go next??? Ricocheting right back into your face again, that's where. Just food for thought.

EDIT: Also, you can clearly see where the airbag rips apart in the middle horizontally. There is a discoloration/ raised area along the line of perforation.
ur thinking too hard about it. I wuldnt think it wuld ricochet and hit u in the head. I just wish someone culd actually find out the real way the thing goes off and if it wuld actually kill u or hurt u. I mean like ive said before wat wuld b better? To have an air with an emblem on it or have an aftermarket steering wheel that doesnt even have a airbag?

Old 05-01-2010, 02:49 AM
What about the stock emblem?? Isn't that just as dangerous??

Old 05-01-2010, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
I think it rips in half when it goes off. But no one knows forsure

Old 05-01-2010, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Without knowing in extreme detail exactly how the front airbag deploys, with exact computations as to angle, speed and velocity I would in general say putting an emblem on your steering wheel probably has some degree of risk.

But I would also say I think people have a right to take that risk. I mean simply there is risk of injury between an occupant and a deploying airbag with nothing inbetween them and/or a plastic emblem, a loaded gun or a box of tissues.

I think Honda would recommend NOT putting anything inbetween yourself and deploying airbags. However we take that risk all the time. Emblem or no emblem you can be driving with a cup of coffee in your hands and suddenly be in a wreck that deploys the airbags. Is is possible the deploying airbags could cause a held coffee cup to starbuck your skull? I'd say yes. This is an automobile that comes with 10 cup holders....is Honda trying to kill us?

My point more or less being driving is a risk in any shape or form. Airbags are designed to help protect us in the most common accident situations. Are you increasing risk of injury or even death by gluing or attaching something to your steering wheel? Unless we can get Mythbusters to investigate, or some scientific science lab I think we could debate the risk vs. reality ad nauseum. However we drive with cups, food, fuzzy dice hanging from mirrors, lumber, bicycles,- whatever in our automobiles all the time....all these things around us increase risk.

If you are not afraid that the last thing you see on this planet before you head down the tunnel of light might be a Big Red Honda "H" then go ahead...take the risk.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TurboManGT
The stock emblem has been professionally R&D'd by Honda and is held in by 2 plastic rivet-like things. It's not gonna come out.

I'm not against the idea of your emblem, OP, I think it looks good and I'd like to see you keep it. And I feel bad that your thread got so far off topic but how can I just not say anything?

The only reason I kept posting is because you took some guy's advice telling you would be FINE without any evidence whatsoever, because that's what you wanted to believe. Why would you do that???? "Oh, that's some good information" something like that.

Sorry for sounding like your dad but I won't post anymore here. You already understand what risk you are putting yourself at.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
The stock emblem has been professionally R&D'd by Honda and is held in by 2 plastic rivet-like things. It's not gonna come out.

I'm not against the idea of your emblem, OP, I think it looks good and I'd like to see you keep it. And I feel bad that your thread got so far off topic but how can I just not say anything?

The only reason I kept posting is because you took some guy's advice telling you would be FINE without any evidence whatsoever, because that's what you wanted to believe. Why would you do that???? "Oh, that's some good information" something like that.

Sorry for sounding like your dad but I won't post anymore here. You already understand what risk you are putting yourself at.
i dont mind bud. The more info the better. I just want to get this thing as safe as it can be bec im not guna take it ofd but id love to make it as safe as possible.

Originally Posted by fitchet
Without knowing in extreme detail exactly how the front airbag deploys, with exact computations as to angle, speed and velocity I would in general say putting an emblem on your steering wheel probably has some degree of risk.

But I would also say I think people have a right to take that risk. I mean simply there is risk of injury between an occupant and a deploying airbag with nothing inbetween them and/or a plastic emblem, a loaded gun or a box of tissues.

I think Honda would recommend NOT putting anything inbetween yourself and deploying airbags. However we take that risk all the time. Emblem or no emblem you can be driving with a cup of coffee in your hands and suddenly be in a wreck that deploys the airbags. Is is possible the deploying airbags could cause a held coffee cup to starbuck your skull? I'd say yes. This is an automobile that comes with 10 cup holders....is Honda trying to kill us?

My point more or less being driving is a risk in any shape or form. Airbags are designed to help protect us in the most common accident situations. Are you increasing risk of injury or even death by gluing or attaching something to your steering wheel? Unless we can get Mythbusters to investigate, or some scientific science lab I think we could debate the risk vs. reality ad nauseum. However we drive with cups, food, fuzzy dice hanging from mirrors, lumber, bicycles,- whatever in our automobiles all the time....all these things around us increase risk.

If you are not afraid that the last thing you see on this planet before you head down the tunnel of light might be a Big Red Honda "H" then go ahead...take the risk.
Good good good info man. I dont mind earing all the info im just wanted to make it as safe as i can. And u all are helping very much

Old 05-01-2010, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by xonexlifex

im glad we have the same ideas.
Sorry dude, I meant me and the first guy who thought it looked dangerous had the same idea. Looks cool though.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 PM
WHAT THE CRAP.

isn't this thread about photos??? every single reply has been about the dang implications of the emblem flying off! how many people in this thread have aftermarket steering wheels and seats, and i haven't seen this kind of concern expressed.

well at least we know that freaks look out for each other and think critically.

at any rate, i have to say it looks good. i just wouldnt want red H's on my car in orlando, you cant even trust people to make change half the time. the lights look GREAT. i think youve done a good job on your fit. while the skulls and roses arent for me, the craftsmanship and details of your interior are great.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:02 PM
and for the sake of this debate, which is after all about safety; maybe find out exactly where the wheel splits in half and only secure the emblem on one side of the line? no breaking, no flying off, just an emblem secured to one half of the wheel as it yields the bag. i'm no engineer, but it make sense to me.

or maybe you will end up with an H embossed on your head!

"JDM EMBLEM FOREHEAD MOD"

Old 05-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by chrisakasparky
and for the sake of this debate, which is after all about safety; maybe find out exactly where the wheel splits in half and only secure the emblem on one side of the line? no breaking, no flying off, just an emblem secured to one half of the wheel as it yields the bag. i'm no engineer, but it make sense to me.

I'm pretty sure the emblem isn't in danger of ripping in half, it would be attached to the upper part of the airbag housing, just above the tear line. You can see the line actually with the naked eye, and it takes a little dip to go under the emblem. I think the question is whether the top part of the airbag housing actually would pivot up and away or whether it would stay in place. If it stays in place there is no risk, if it pivots there is the *potential* for the pure energy of the airbag to send it flying off at that point.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
It looks nice though and hopefully will not cause any problems. I ordered the CF pieces that fit into the existing H on the steering wheel in red to match the car and that stupid thing never did stay put. I even used 3M double sided sticky tape and they still peeled off! They looked nice when they stayed in place but luckily they came right off without any damage to the area.

Cat :x

Old 05-02-2010, 01:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Illmatic07
Sorry dude, I meant me and the first guy who thought it looked dangerous had the same idea. Looks cool though.
well thats cool too, no hard feelings!

WHAT THE CRAP.

isn't this thread about photos??? every single reply has been about the dang implications of the emblem flying off! how many people in this thread have aftermarket steering wheels and seats, and i haven't seen this kind of concern expressed.

well at least we know that freaks look out for each other and think critically.

at any rate, i have to say it looks good. i just wouldnt want red H's on my car in orlando, you cant even trust people to make change half the time. the lights look GREAT. i think youve done a good job on your fit. while the skulls and roses arent for me, the craftsmanship and details of your interior are great.
thanx bud, like i said before i just couldnt stand the fact that the damn stock emblem got messed up, i tried painting it with chrome paint but it made it look worse. im glad u like the way it looks, its funny how many people are worried about this, and like u said aftermarket steering wheels and seats and no concern expressed, i think its bec its something different maybe? i dont know but either way i cant see taking it off.

ya thats what my father was saying to try to do, or cut the emblem in half, but that wuld screw thing up worse.

Originally Posted by FITFOLLY
I'm pretty sure the emblem isn't in danger of ripping in half, it would be attached to the upper part of the airbag housing, just above the tear line. You can see the line actually with the naked eye, and it takes a little dip to go under the emblem. I think the question is whether the top part of the airbag housing actually would pivot up and away or whether it would stay in place. If it stays in place there is no risk, if it pivots there is the *potential* for the pure energy of the airbag to send it flying off at that point.
if we can epoxy it to a spot where we know where its going to be safely to be ripped off and stay on the wheel then i think we will be ok.

Originally Posted by Cat
It looks nice though and hopefully will not cause any problems. I ordered the CF pieces that fit into the existing H on the steering wheel in red to match the car and that stupid thing never did stay put. I even used 3M double sided sticky tape and they still peeled off! They looked nice when they stayed in place but luckily they came right off without any damage to the area.

Cat :x
thanx! ive never seen the cf inserts of the steering wheel emblem, all ive seen is the red or different colors. u have any pictures? id love to see em.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:10 AM
5 Year Member
finally proof that the damn emblem wont fly off when the air bag goes off! now this mod can be an official mod that know one has to trip about the thing being dangerous. thanx ray, i hate that ur car got messed up, i couldnt imagine if that happened to me

Old 05-10-2010, 12:14 AM
Glad to hear the good news! That's awesome! It looks great with the red..

Old 05-10-2010, 12:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by christiandaniel222
Glad to hear the good news! That's awesome! It looks great with the red..
thanx man, sucks for his car tho

Quick Reply: Theres Nothing Better Than The Real Thing