Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

blackout headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 PM
blackout my headlights (pics)

Before:
Name:  IMG_3145.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  122.7 KB

After:

im pretty much almost done with all my exterior mods, still gotta paint the back bumper lip matte black and ill be done. unless someone comes out with a nice lip kit ill get one.

Last edited by strmslvrfit; 03-04-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Great Job! Looks amazing, your Fit is quickly shaping up to be one of the nicest on the forum! How difficult was it to do and what size wheels and tires are those?

Old 03-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by jaydubz79
Great Job! Looks amazing, your Fit is quickly shaping up to be one of the nicest on the forum! How difficult was it to do and what size wheels and tires are those?
thanks!, it wasn't hard at all, i got some good info from one of the members here, joemama4646. the wheels are 17x7.5 +45 offset. 205/45/17 tires

Old 03-04-2009, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
i really like your GE

Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
Looks really good. Diggin the wheel choice too!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Very very nice! And in the head to head you can clearly see what your tastes run to. Very understated and tasteful.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Awesome, very aggressive look!

Old 03-04-2009, 09:59 PM
looks much more aggressive. Nicely done!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:18 PM
5 Year Member
you and Note have the best GEs on the forum. and both are in socal

Old 03-05-2009, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Do you have any pics of how you blacked them out or with the lights on? Maybe a DIY?

Old 03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Vanct
Do you have any pics of how you blacked them out or with the lights on? Maybe a DIY?
im just gonna copy and paste what joemama4646 told me and few pics.

1. Remove the two bolts on top of the headlights in the engine bay.

2. Remove the front bumper (must do this to access the other two bolts holding the headlight down). To remove the bumper, you gotta remove those plastic gromets and screws holding the bumper. Here is a PDF that shows where each screw and gromet are located: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins.../foglights.pdf

3. Remove the bulbs from the headlight housing.

4. Remove about 5-6 screws from behind the headlight.

5. Preheat your oven to about 220 degrees for about 10-12 mins.

6. After removing your headlights, stick each headlight in the oven individually (unless you've got a big ass oven that can fit both) for about 10-12 mins. It doesn't matter how you throw it in... I put the clear plastic part faced down on a baking sheet.

7. Use mittens or cloths to take the headlight out because it'll be hot.

8. Lie the headlight down on something soft. I used a flat head screwdriver to pry apart the rubber sealant, much easier when it just comes outta the oven, as the sealant is warm and softened. Just shove it in, and start cutting accross. After you do one of the longer sides, you should be able to pry apart the base of the light off. If not, keep prying away.

9. The panel you want to spray black is attached to the clear plastic part of the headlight (not the back base). There are 3 screws that are attached. Remove them and carefully unhook the chrome part from the clear front housing.

10. Do the same steps for the other headlight.

11. You'll need some newspapers and some black paint (i used flat black, but you can use semi-gloss black, looks good as well). Also, be sure to tape up the orange reflectors if you still want them orange! Lay the chrome piece(s) down, and start spraying them. One coat at a time. I just used two coats, but its up to you.

12. Let dry completely.

13. Reassemble the headlights (just follow the steps backwards). Clip the now sprayed black housing back to the clear housing. Put back the 3 screws.

14. you will need this: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...goryCode=3239+ This will seal the headlight completely. I've gone through fog, rain, lots of rain, cold temps and not one drop/dew of condesation. It seals it completely. With this, it is one long piece of windshield tape. Just run it along the black base backing of the headlight where the old grey sealant used to be (not the part you just sprayed, but the other half of the headlight).

15. Press the headlight back together. Press really firm until you can't press no more.

16. Put the headlight back into the oven and let it bake for another 10 mins. Now you can press down even more to seal it completely.

When I did mine, I basically followed Smeister's DIY. It worked like a charm, even though it was for a GD fit. My instructions wont work as well because I have no pics of the work...But should work in conjunction with the DIY's from Smeister:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-l...headlight.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-l...eadlights.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-l...-together.html

I've done this for my friend's GE fit as well, and his came of PERFECT. Let me know how this goes. It should be easy because if i can do it, you can. Seriously. I don't ever do work on my car... If you run into issues, hit me up... GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks! I'm definitely doing this when I get mine, seems a lot easier than I thought.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Vanct
Thanks! I'm definitely doing this when I get mine, seems a lot easier than I thought.
the trick to put them back together is to bake them if the sealant is too tough. its better to work with when the sealant is soft

Old 03-05-2009, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
looks great!!! what color did you use... flat black or gloss? im thinking about doing this as well. what part of san diego are you from?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by chris 619
looks great!!! what color did you use... flat black or gloss? im thinking about doing this as well. what part of san diego are you from?
i bought glossy paint. but it turned out flat black for some reason. but o well, i like the flat black look. im from san marcos you?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:43 PM
man ur fit is soo nice!!!! makes me jealous lol

Old 03-05-2009, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by strmslvrfit
i bought glossy paint. but it turned out flat black for some reason. but o well, i like the flat black look. im from san marcos you?
Downtown here. I gotta see it up close one day.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:45 PM
for sure, when ever we have a fit meet down here again

Old 04-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Wow! our cars do look similar! and i just painted my back bumper diffuser last week

Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by AshPanda
Wow! our cars do look similar! and i just painted my back bumper diffuser last week
painted it gloss or matte?, i wanna do mine too. did you remove your bumper to paint it? post pics if you can please!

Quick Reply: blackout headlights