Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

My Fit with Airtabs

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 06:19 PM
5 Year Member
hey if it works then uh..mroe power to you i guess.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:49 PM
i thought this was a joke

Old 09-05-2008, 02:13 PM
no joke

It's not a joke but the results would have to be repeated several times by organizations with stellar credentials before I'd jeopardize my paint with airtabs. Devices that help air break cleanly free from the car are nothing new (spoilers, ground effects etc.) but the effectiveness needs to be proven. Often spoilers or whatever look good on the car and that might stimulate the buyer to go ahead but, with airtabs, that's not the case.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
i like them on the evo's but on the fit, theyre kinda weird, but whatever floats ur boat

Old 09-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Retired Moderator
Heres what im thinking..
If you are willing to go as far as putting some tabs on your car to "smooth out the air" in an attempt to get better MPG. Why didnt you save 1000$ when you bought your AT Fit, and got MT Fit which gets a good deal better MPG then the AT, and you dont have to try nearly as hard to get the good MPGs...? I mean, if you dont know how to drive a MT vehicle, learn, you are obviously going to great lengths for a possible couple(at the most) MPGs.
Just doesnt really make sense to me.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:53 AM
5 Year Member
do you have a diy? it reminds me of an evo mr...

Old 09-13-2008, 04:58 AM
5 Year Member
wow... thats all i gotta say...

Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 PM
well, those on the Evo are mainly used to bend the air to the huge wing behind and increase rear down force.

since you go this far, you should put those taps on the rest of the lower area & side bumper, no (?)

Old 09-13-2008, 05:27 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rain1
well, those on the Evo are mainly used to bend the air to the huge wing behind and increase rear down force.
Right. They redirect airflow over the wing. There are windtunnel videos around, very interesting stuff. Subaru did the same to the STi in 2007.
since you go this far, you should put those taps on the rest of the lower area & side bumper, no (?)
I was thinking about running a line of them along the underside of the bumper, where I wouldn't have to look at them.

Seriously, I want to rig up some kind of panel to prevent the rear bumper from having a 'parachute effect', and it might make sense to run a line of Airtabs along the edge while I was at it.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:29 PM
lol belongs out there with this guy

Name:  bib1.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  45.7 KB

Old 09-14-2008, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
"oh boy" is the only thing i can say when i look at that pic ^

Old 09-14-2008, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
the tabs still look backwards to me....>__>

plus..air tabs to break up wind, but then there s that spoiler for down force(enough tho not much but compare to the tabs....)..... anyways...

Old 09-14-2008, 11:02 PM
i think just on the top would be attractive looking... all over the sides too not so much... i couldnt handle that black or body painted

Old 09-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by pwnstar
lol belongs out there with this guy

DAMN YOU! ive still yet to find this wing anywhere... the 5zigen one right?

Old 09-14-2008, 11:10 PM
LOL if you get that wing ill never speak to you again and we will make fun of you like that poor guy that has it now

Old 09-15-2008, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
wow that wing is insane. i thought it was fake...can you honeslty purcahse this wing? lol...

Old 09-15-2008, 06:07 PM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Resistance

Originally Posted by TOOL
Heres what im thinking..
If you are willing to go as far as putting some tabs on your car to "smooth out the air" in an attempt to get better MPG. Why didnt you save 1000$ when you bought your AT Fit, and got MT Fit which gets a good deal better MPG then the AT, and you dont have to try nearly as hard to get the good MPGs...? I mean, if you dont know how to drive a MT vehicle, learn, you are obviously going to great lengths for a possible couple(at the most) MPGs.
Just doesnt really make sense to me.
Well, I'm a columnist for autochannel.com, so it's part of my job and my joy to try things out, and report about how I find they work. My "A More Perfect Fit" uses as a testbed my car, which is a 2007 AT Sport, and not an MT. But which transmission I decided to buy for whatever reason is irrelevant - any improvement from airtabs would work on an MT as well as an AT.

So far I'm finding increased coasting distance, stability in winds, smoother ride, raised mpg on the highway and in the city, no splashback on the rear window in rain and better handling. As an example of stability in winds, my wife and I recently found ourselves on the highway when Hurricane Ike's 40-60mph gusts blew over Louisville. I was barely pushed around the road - I was amazed. Before airtabs I'd experienced a lot more wind effect.

If you're interested in exploring it further, check out my column on airtabs in a few weeks on autochannel.com, or check out airtabs.com and research for yourself.

Sometimes technological improvements come in surprisingly simple, counter-intuitive ways. One of them seems to be this backwards-looking wishbone device that sticks on the car. I was skeptical myself that I'd find any benefit at all on an already aerodynamic car, so I can understand the skepticism here. But, I'm impressed--it's a humble but significant improvement that doesn't take a ton of money or time or special installation.

Last edited by mjklj; 09-25-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mjklj
As an example of stability in winds, my wife and I recently found ourselves on the highway when Hurricane Ike's 40-60mph gusts blew over Louisville. I was barely pushed around the road - I was amazed. Before airtabs I'd experienced a lot more wind effect.
I have had the same experience since installing a Beatrush underpanel. Before installation the car was quite sensitive to side gusts, and it got buffeted around pretty much by semis. Since installing the underpanel those effects are all but eliminated. An added benefit is that the car feels much more 'planted' during my favorite offramp excursion, a 60mph romp around a 270 degree arch which tightens up oh-so slightly just before the exit.
Sometimes technological improvements come in surprisingly simple, counter-intuitive ways.
Absolutely correct. Smoother air is not always beneficial, and this is one of those cases. Another example is the tabs above the rear window on Mitsubishi Evos. They are there to break the laminar flow over the roof of the car. Without them, the air would follow the roofline and tumble down over the rear window. With the tabs the roof contact is broken, and the airflow moves towards the rear wing where it can generate more downforce.

Subaru added a small spoiler above the rear window on '06/'07 STi's for the same reason.

Airtabs aren't pretty, but I have no problem believing that they are effective.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:02 PM
I found smaller one at Petboys

They definitively did not improve my milage in any way but I like the way they look.

Quick Reply: My Fit with Airtabs