Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

My Fit with Airtabs

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:46 PM
I think they look cool, maybe a little too many for my taste, but I would rock a few of them. Let us know when you get the results in.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
o...good...god

Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 AM
I, just don't know. But if you do like it, then good for you. =)
But i'm subscribed to this thread to see what sort of results these yield.
It's too bad we dont have labs open up to just test this sort of thing.
Too many variables can change, including driver mentality.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:52 AM
Why did you put them on the sides as well?

Old 09-02-2008, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
that better be only for fun
that look so ***

Old 09-02-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by feddup
I've followed your column and noticed the scanguage 2. Will you post your MPG results at fitfreak.net? The airtabs might surpise us!
Thanks! I've enjoyed writing the column. I've got a 3-parter on better fuel-economy driving habits (and everyone's welcome to post and comment on those, btw), then 1 on scangauge, then the first one on airtabs results, with help from scangauge.

With my AT, in town I usually use the paddles, coast in neutral a lot, get some help timing stop lights with cruise control, but the other day I watched my wife simply use drive, and according to the scangauge she was getting about 30 mpg on that run - about 2-3 mpg better than usual. We'll see.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
definitely won't win any style points, that's for sure lol ;/
Hah! I guess it's an acquired taste. The Fit/Jazz wearing them is like Bill Evans wearing thick black glasses. Now that's an analogy!

On another subject, how do you like your Mugen visors? I've been trying to get a set to test. Can you vent the windows without rain coming in? Does it keep the car's aerodynamics? Are the secure?

Nice looking Fit.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by David R
Why did you put them on the sides as well?
Well, according to my interview with Kent Smerdon, director of Business Development, they're designed to smooth out the airflow behind the car into a cone - and putting them on the sides help do that. But more on that when the column comes out.

I'm forwarding some of your questions to him, by the way - thanks!

As far as beauty - well...maybe it's beast instead of beauty, but that's its own kind of taste. But I like 'em. I was thinking of wearing a few on my arms and legs, see if it helps my jogging time on the treadmill.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:36 AM
link?

Originally Posted by mjklj
Thanks! I've enjoyed writing the column. I've got a 3-parter on better fuel-economy driving habits (and everyone's welcome to post and comment on those, btw), then 1 on scangauge, then the first one on airtabs results, with help from scangauge.
Please repost the link to your column. My web surfing habits can be quite random and I'm not sure your column/blog whatever is on my list of favorites. Since the Fit plays such a central role I'm sure many fitfreaks would be interested.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by feddup
Please repost the link to your column. My web surfing habits can be quite random and I'm not sure your column/blog whatever is on my list of favorites. Since the Fit plays such a central role I'm sure many fitfreaks would be interested.
Thanks for asking. Here's the link to the latest column. There are links from it to the previous ones.

A More Perfect Fit: Toward a More Perfect MPG, Part 1

Enjoy.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
This has been done before, check the ECO thread.

Member SFENDERS tried it out, was a total bust for results. Starts on page 2;

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/eco-...ase-mpg-2.html

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 09-02-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:14 AM
I <3 SPOON
5 Year Member
uh....

Old 09-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by mjklj
Hah! I guess it's an acquired taste. The Fit/Jazz wearing them is like Bill Evans wearing thick black glasses. Now that's an analogy!

On another subject, how do you like your Mugen visors? I've been trying to get a set to test. Can you vent the windows without rain coming in? Does it keep the car's aerodynamics? Are the secure?

Nice looking Fit.
I like my visors a lot, they make the car stand out more than without them of course. I can open the windows 2 or 3" without rain coming in, but around hard turns, water will seep in from the wind and g-forces. I just keep them shut during the rain usually. I only ever had my old car's windows open in rain to smoke, and I don't smoke in the Fit, so no need! I think you should go for it, and I'm not sure about the aerodynamics, I just got them because they look badass on NHBP and are Mugen hahah oh and yes they secure with button tabs under the top weatherstripping, plus doublesided 3m tape. They won't come off unless you YANK them bitches pretty hard like you're mad

Old 09-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Airtabs run 1

Originally Posted by Sugarphreak

Yes, I've read that thread. Of course, there are many factors, and I hope to try again and see as objectively as I can.

In the meantime I did my first commuter run today - about 17 miles door to door Louisville to Indiana Univ. Southeast, about 5 miles city driving. Windows open city, windows closed highway, no AC, but fan on "2" w/ air recirculate, no other accessories. Tires cold pressure 35 psi. Cruise control in drive about 55-61 mph, depending. A very little coasting in neutral now and then. No other hypermiling techniques.

Scangauge mpg: 40.3 for that trip (based on last calibration, scangauge may be underreporting). So the Airtabs certainly don't seem to be hurting. Definite smoothing out of the drive - that's the best part.

I'll let you know more as I learn more.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Airtabs run 1

Yes, I've read that thread. Of course, there are many factors, and I hope to try again and see as objectively as I can.

In the meantime I did my first commuter run today - about 17 miles door to door Louisville to Indiana Univ. Southeast, about 5 miles city driving. Windows open city, windows closed highway, no AC, but fan on "2" w/ air recirculate, no other accessories. Tires cold pressure 35 psi. Cruise control in drive about 55-61 mph, depending. A very little coasting in neutral now and then. No other hypermiling techniques.

Scangauge mpg: 40.3 for that trip (based on last calibration, scangauge may be underreporting). So the Airtabs certainly don't seem to be hurting. Definite smoothing out of the drive - that's the best part.

[added] Remember, we're talking about an advertised advantage of 4% increase - on a truck. If it were to get the max for a Fit averaging on the highway, say 37 mpg, that's a max increase of about 1.5 mpg to 38.5. The fact that the claims are reasonable and not exaggerated is one thing that makes me give credibility to this product. But it's also not as obvious to measure, like a jump from 37 to 45 mpg would be.

I'll let you know more as I learn more.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
I think it will also be interesting to note what effect, (if any) they will have on the "backwash" of spray from rainy roads, and the common "dirty back window/hatch" issue. Please make a note to check for these results, too! I look forward to getting the results of your experiment.
BTW: They look interesting/cool in a weird sort of way...
'07 VBP Sport 5MT w/ minor appearance & comfort mods!!

Last edited by fittmann; 09-02-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:51 PM
why not?

I'm suspicious, to say the least, of airtabs but he's got a scanguage and has written a series "a more perfect fit" that's about modding a Honda Fit. What can it hurt to read and listen? Frankly the airtabs would have to make an AMAZING difference for me to put them on my Fit. It can't hurt to check out his findings. The article series is kind of cool anyway since it's about our car.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by I Am Ray.
*LAUGHS!!!!!*
That was great.

Id like to know if they make whistling noises at 45mph +.

No noises I could tell...but then there was that large pack of dogs running after the car....

Old 09-02-2008, 05:49 PM
that is so gross.... y would you do that. take it off pleasssseeeee!!!!!!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Why do you say SFENDERS' test was a total bust? On the Web site http://s89686473.onlinehome.us/airtabs-test.html the results show an increase of mpg from approx 36 pre airtabs to 38.85.

If the pre-figure is correct, that's about an 8% increase, on average, which is twice what the manufacturer promises. That ain't no bust to me.

Quick Reply: My Fit with Airtabs