Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

My Fit was totaled!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 05:03 PM
My Fit was totaled!

Well here's the story. It was October 6th, a gray drizzly day here in western Washington. I was driving home from band practice about 5:30 just minding my own business and then it happened...

I was on a 5 lane road (2 lanes each direction and a turn lane) in the far right lane doing about 35 (the speed limit). A Ford Probe pulled out of a bank parking lot on the left side of the street as was approaching. At this point what went through my head was "she's turning left into the lane next to me". She crossed the two lanes of oncoming traffic and the turn lane, then I realized she was not turning to merge along side me, she was going to hit me...

As soon as that entered my head it was to late. I couldn't believe how fast it happened. I just had time to think "oh no!" and then the air bag exploded in my face. I don't even remember the moment of impact, just the noise and then being on the side of the road with the smell of explosives all over.

Anyway, it turned out she didn't have insurance, or a valid driver’s license. Luckily there were witnesses and the cop wrote her up for failing to yield in addition to the license and insurance. I'm just glad I had been paying for underinsured motorist protection for years...

I had only minor injuries. Just some bad bruising from the seatbelt, and some back and chest pain for a little over a week. Overall my attitude was that it sucked, but I was happy to be ok physically, and that none of my band gear got damaged. It sounds silly but I had over 8 thousand dollars worth of equipment in the back and I don't have insurance on any of that!

After a while of back and forth the insurance company decided to total my car. I ended up getting my loan paid off and still got 10,000 dollars in my pocket after the deductible. This means they actually valued my car at more than I paid for it!

I don't think I will be getting another Fit... I am trying to find a BMW M Coupe. If that doesn't work out I will probably buy a cheep beater for a while till the 2009 Fit comes out. I will be selling off the various aftermarket things I had for the Fit that weren’t wrecked, as well as some original parts soon.

Here is a sampling of the pictures I took at the accident with my phone:

Old 10-22-2007, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
poor fit,sorry to hear about the accident.

CONGRATS on the money though! ,I kinda wish that happened to me sometimes,lol

wanna make a little more money and sell me your rear lip and spoiler?

Old 10-22-2007, 05:23 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Jeebus man! Sorry to hear about your Fit. Got damn women drivers!!!!
Cant believe some people still drive around without insurance also. Happened to me in my Mx-6. I was rear ended.

Whats odd about that story is I had a Probe before my Fit. Ok, not that weird.
Hope you get that M.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:12 PM
iHardpark
dam dude that sucks atleast ur ok. R.I.P little SSM fit

Old 10-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
That's too bad about your fit, but I'm glad it protected you in the accident. Saving up for an 09 fit sounds like a great idea, hope you stick around the boards while waiting.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:43 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Happy to hear you are ok, how did the other driver make out?

I can't believe people can get away without insurance like that, up here if you get caught without insurance on your car you get a 1500$ ticket, you get your car towed on the spot, immediate licience suspension and there is a good chance you will spend 6 months in jail... if you cry like a little girl and plead guilty to the judge they will sentence you to community service instead. 2nd time offenders are pretty much guaranteed jail time.

I can't really make out the pictures too well, did the side and curtain air bags go off in the car?

Old 10-22-2007, 07:00 PM
The other driver seemed fine at the time of the accident. I also felt fine at the time so who knows. She was actually really nice, and if she hadn't a complete idiot I might have liked her...

Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Retired Moderator
Bummer dude..Im glad the Fit did its job in the accident though! Sounds like a great excuse to get a 09! Good luck!

Old 10-22-2007, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
glad your ok, its good knowing the little bugger paid its dues and saved your life. on top of that you got more money that the fit was worth which is thumbs up. Hopefully all goes well and you get your m coupe. I couldn't sway my parents to swing me with an m coupe at all, since they were complaining about the reliabilities of used m's...... so i ended up with a fit.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by sam21
CONGRATS on the money though! ,I kinda wish that happened to me sometimes,lol
Want me to wish it? Im REALLY good at jinxing people. No lie dude.....
I can wish things upon people and itll happen either that day or a few days later. It must be bad things, I cant say youll get money and itll happen.
Im the devil.

Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I can't really make out the pictures too well, did the side and curtain air bags go off in the car?
Should have only been the driver air bag, maybe pass. If the side damage isnt that bad then the curtain/side bags wont go off.

You see the pics of my friends RSX-S? Only his side airbag went off.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Wow.

Thank God in heaven you're alive...

but for real... is it me... or...

Does it seem that Trucks in the Fall season are prone to sideswipping and hitting Honda Fit cars?

I kid you not - this past weekend there had to be 10+ trucks that were after me... one Ford F250 on two occasions off I-66 and VA US-29.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:26 PM
Well I've got the M! I just signed the papers after work today and I get to pick it up tomorrow. I will post pics as soon as I get them. I will probably stick around the forums because I still love the Fit!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:43 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by Bennet Pullen
Well I've got the M! I just signed the papers after work today and I get to pick it up tomorrow. I will post pics as soon as I get them. I will probably stick around the forums because I still love the Fit!
Wow, you dont mess around lol! You will LOVE your Bimmer especially since you got a M..You will have one fast ride! Im assuming you got a E46 M3 because thats the most popular at the moment, but even the one before is sick and even the one before THAT! Cant wait for the pics!

Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 PM
It's actually a 2000 M Coupe which is the hard top version of the Z3. It has the engine out of the E36 M3. I like it because it looks like a running shoe, or an old Volvo 1800 ES. It's still a hatchback so I can fit my band gear into it

My car was actually totaled a week ago so I have had some time to look around.

Last edited by Bennet Pullen; 10-23-2007 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Changed generation of M3
Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Retired Moderator
It's actually a 2000 M Coupe which is the hard top version of the Z3. It has the engine out of the E46 M3. I like it because it looks like a running shoe, or an old Volvo 1800 ES. It's still a hatchback so I can fit my band gear into it

Ohh man, those are awesome!! They look like race cars on the road! Thats a big step up in power from the little 1.5L in the Fit lol! Cant wait for those pics!

I know what you mean about needing the hatch, im a drummer in a band and i have a big double bass set and can fit most of it in the Fit!

Old 10-23-2007, 01:56 AM
ouch! sorry to see the wreck. atleast ur alrite.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
OMG..........sorry to hear the accident. Some people just never pay attention on the road and crack your car. I got 2 times accident with my old car that also the other driver no insurance!!!

I am wondering something for you.........check pm!!

Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member
So sorry about your car man, jeez that must suck. Like everyone says, at least you are not hurt. I probably would have gotten out my car and gone AWOL on that chick. At least you got your M, you lucky bugger!! Post some pics!!
It seems like everything worked out for you in the end.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
It's actually a 2000 M Coupe which is the hard top version of the Z3. It has the engine out of the E46 M3. I like it because it looks like a running shoe, or an old Volvo 1800 ES. It's still a hatchback so I can fit my band gear into it

thats freaking sweet
how much did you pay for the boot. man that stuff rides on rails

Old 10-23-2007, 02:59 PM

Hate to break it to u dude but if it is a 2000 you have the s52 not s54

still jealous though that is one of my favorite cars

Quick Reply: My Fit was totaled!