Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

Honda Red Emblem Mod-DIY

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:02 AM
5 Year Member
Either technique will work...

Originally Posted by xonexlifex
hey did you cut out pieces of that tape and put them in the openings or did you take off the whole emblem and stuck it on the back? i would think that it would be easier to take the emblem off and just stick it on the back or just take the emblem off and trace it onto the tape instead of trying to fit it in the grooves
xonexlifex,
I decided to do it the hard way, I first made patterns out of card stock, then traced the patterns onto the tape. Next, I cut out the pieces of tape, then inserted them into the void spaces in the "H." It took me several tries, but I eventually got it to where I was satisfied.
It definitely would have been easier to remove the emblem, lay down the tape, and then replace the emblem. If you attempt to do it this way, be warned that the pins on the back of the emblem may snap off. If you happen to break off one or both pins, you will have to figure out a way to reattach it. One idea might be to glue the emblem back on. A thin layer of GE Silicone sealant would probably work well in this situation. Of course, you could always go to the Honda parts counter and get a replacement. I was just trying to avoid spending any more than I had to.
-macbuddy-

Old 02-24-2008, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
The front badge finally matches the rear...

Okay, I finally got around to doing the front badge. Anyway, in order to use the same technique, I had to first make a metal backing plate on which to lay the tape on. Fabricating the plate was the hardest part, the rest was easy. I was satisfied with the result.

Take a look at the slideshow when you have the time to spare:
ImageShack(TM) slideshow

My next project is the "H" on the steering wheel.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:34 AM
Hey macbuddy thats looks great! Really clean! I just got myelf a roll of tape

How did you cut the back ones to shape? Did you do it while it was sitting in the badge or before you stuck it on?

Good job!

jez

Old 02-25-2008, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
I pre-cut the tape first...

Originally Posted by jezVTi
How did you cut the back ones to shape? Did you do it while it was sitting in the badge or before you stuck it on?

Good job! jez
jez,
For the rear badge, I first made patterns out of card stock that fit into the voids of the "H" in the emblem. Then I traced the patterns onto the back of the reflective tape. After I cut them out, I test fitted those into the voids of the "H" emblem. I trimmed where I thought necessary, or just tossed the piece if I thought it didn't look right. Once I was satisfied with the pre-fitted shapes, I peeled the backing off of the tape and then carefully applied it to the areas. Like I said before, this technique requires more patience than if you were to remove the badge first, and apply the tape to the car. I chose to leave it on because I didn't want to chance breaking the pins in back of the badge. I just couldn't see buying a new badge if I didn't have to.

Good luck,
-macbuddy-

Old 02-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Nice job. 'Wish I'd seen this before last weekend. I painted my rear badge and it looks like sh*t if you're not more that 5' away. I've ordered a replacement.....

Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by macbuddy
I chose to leave it on because I didn't want to chance breaking the pins in back of the badge.
Completely agree!

I'd rather pay another $2 for more tape than some ridiculous amount for a new badge!

thanks!

Jez

Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 AM
You don't really want anything that's reflective *RED* on the front of your car.

Reflective red is the color drivers expect to see on the back of your car, not the front, and that could cause a number of dangerous situations due to confusion.

I'm pretty sure it's also illegal.

Reflective white tape on the front would be a much better idea.

ed

Old 02-26-2008, 05:16 AM
Originally Posted by ezduzit
You don't really want anything that's reflective *RED* on the front of your car.

Reflective red is the color drivers expect to see on the back of your car, not the front, and that could cause a number of dangerous situations due to confusion.

ed
yeh... that does make sense. But tbh I don't think you'd get hassled too much for it.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:22 AM
5 Year Member
Good Point...

ed
ezduzit, yeah I debated over the white or red idea. I realized that white would have been the more "legal" way to go, but the red does look better IMHO. Also, the only way that the reflective red would show up is at night, when the lights are not on. When the lights are on, it is really difficult to pick up the red glow. Thanks for your concern. I think I'll be okay...at least I hope so.
-macbuddy-

Old 02-27-2008, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member

just got mine done, tell me what ya think

Old 02-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Looks great! Did you do the red Fit dot, or was it always red?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Squirrely
Looks great! Did you do the red Fit dot, or was it always red?
i ordered the jdm chrome red dot fit logo seperate. i liked the chrome look a million times better than the brushed silver

Old 02-27-2008, 01:34 AM
5 Year Member
Excellent!

xonexlifex,
Nice work! I feel that the red really adds to your VBP Sport. Looks great!
-macbuddy-

Old 02-27-2008, 02:33 AM
ezduzit, yeah I debated over the white or red idea. I realized that white would have been the more "legal" way to go, but the red does look better IMHO. Also, the only way that the reflective red would show up is at night, when the lights are not on. When the lights are on, it is really difficult to pick up the red glow. Thanks for your concern. I think I'll be okay...at least I hope so.
-macbuddy-
Get in another car at night, point both cars at each other, and turn the headlights on both cars on. Then you will see it glow bright red, and that's what other drivers are going to see at night.

I agree that it looks cool, but trust me, it's a really bad idea.

ed

Old 02-27-2008, 04:11 AM
Looks good!! Did you take off the badge or not? I can't wait to do mine, I have the tape and everything but the weather's really bad and my car's dirty

Old 02-27-2008, 04:50 AM
5 Year Member
Touche!

Get in another car at night, point both cars at each other, and turn the headlights on both cars on. Then you will see it glow bright red, and that's what other drivers are going to see at night.

I agree that it looks cool, but trust me, it's a really bad idea.

ed
ezduzit,
Touche, I see what you mean. Yes, I do see the red emblem when approaching my Fit in another car. You are right, I can pick out the red glow even between the bright headlights. I agree that the glow is "distracting." As a matter of fact, I have to add that even reflective white would also cause confusion to some drivers. I will replace that bright red tape with an alternative material that does not have those same reflective properties. Thanks for the heads up!
-macbuddy-

Old 02-27-2008, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Looks good!! Did you take off the badge or not? I can't wait to do mine, I have the tape and everything but the weather's really bad and my car's dirty
ye i sure did

Old 02-27-2008, 04:18 PM
ezduzit,
Touche, I see what you mean. Yes, I do see the red emblem when approaching my Fit in another car. You are right, I can pick out the red glow even between the bright headlights. I agree that the glow is "distracting." As a matter of fact, I have to add that even reflective white would also cause confusion to some drivers. I will replace that bright red tape with an alternative material that does not have those same reflective properties. Thanks for the heads up!
-macbuddy-
You're very welcome macbuddy.

I'm not some hand-wringing, gotta follow every rule to the letter kinda person, but there is a really good reason why red reflectors are illegal on the front.

I agree with you also about reflective white possibly being distracting and confusing to some drivers when they see it in between the headlights. They might think you're a motorcycle with a really large light bar.

I'm thinking of doing what you did to your badges using either regular red or regular white non-reflective tape. My Fit has sort of evolved into a VBP and white scheme, so white might look pretty good, but contrasting red would also look good.

I like your Progress signature line. That was one of my first mods.

Regards,

ed

Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 PM
ye i sure did
probably a really n00b question, but how did you take off the emblem? Was it hard to do?

Old 02-27-2008, 11:25 PM
5 Year Member
probably a really n00b question, but how did you take off the emblem? Was it hard to do?
dental floss, anhesive remover and a piece of plastic

Quick Reply: Honda Red Emblem Mod-DIY