Fit Photos & Videos Threads for displaying photos and videos of the Honda Fit/Jazz

Making Driving Videos In YOUR Fit!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Banned
Thumbs up Making Driving Videos In YOUR Fit!!

Yo, FITFREAKS!
Video clips are becoming increasingly popular to show off modifications or just show off. But that usually means that you need to bring along a buddy to act as your videographer, and video cameras are complicated and cost a lot.

My local Costco store had an interesting item that I could not resist buying, and you will see some of the results soon if I can find an easy host for my videos.

What I bought was a "Flip Video- the Every Day Camcorder" made by Pure Digital in San Francisco. The Costco price was $89.95. The camcorder is about the size of a deck of cards (just a little longer- 4" X 2 1/4" X 1 1/4 thick).
It records 30 min. of video & sound, with 2X zoom, and uses 2 AA batteries. Easy to use- takes one hand.

This is BASIC video- pretty much like a cheap 1 mpx. digital keychain camera. It also comes with cables for video and sound hook-up to your TV.

I made a bracket to hold the camera below my passenger side visor with 1- 1/2" wide X 1/16" thick aluminum strap from the hardware store, using Velcro to mount the bracket to the visor and Velcro to mount the camera to the bracket.

The camera has a flip-out USB connector to download videos to your computer with built-in software to use for burning DVD's and Emailing videos. It also has a port to download videos at a film processing center for making DVD's there.

I will write a DIY for my test of the Pulstar Spark Plugs, and if I can figure out how to get line-of-sight coverage with this camera, will try to use it for the DIY. If that doesn't work (the camera has no threaded hole for a tripod mount), I will use my visor bracket to record my test drive up a local mountain to torture-test the plugs.

The fitfreaks who are gadget freaks may find this device right up their alley!

Old 07-20-2007, 11:30 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like fun.
If yours works well, I might pick one up myself for recording a motorcycle video now and then. Plus, you never know when you might be a witness to something where a minute of captured video will make a real difference in someone's life. In a case like that, a cheap camcorder that's handy to grab-up in a rush is better than a fine one stored in a case in the hatch area.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Steeldog
Sounds like fun.
If yours works well, I might pick one up myself for recording a motorcycle video now and then. Plus, you never know when you might be a witness to something where a minute of captured video will make a real difference in someone's life. In a case like that, a cheap camcorder that's handy to grab-up in a rush is better than a fine one stored in a case in the hatch area.
Steeldog-
Here are some pics:

Side view of camera and bracket that goes over the front and top of passenger visor:

Back side of camera- 1 1/2" LCD screen & controls:

Front view mounted to bracket- notched area is to expose microphone that would otherwise be covered by bracket:

The camcorder DOES work well- worth the price. I will test the driving video idea today. Have already signed up with You Tube.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Retired Moderator
Did you make any vids with this yet?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by TOOL
Did you make any vids with this yet?
Yes, but just a test on Bear Creek Road- 4 miles up (East) and back to be sure that my ideas worked. They did. My intention for buying this camera was to take the drive up to the top of Mt. Hamilton and record the interesting parts. This camera only can hold 30 minutes, and since I have not used my YouTube account yet, I don't know how long of a video you can post.

The camera itself is super easy to use. The only downside comparing it to a real video camera is the sound quality. In my test, I had the stereo on, loud, to test sound quality. The result was low volume and tinny, because the sound has to bounce back from the windshield to hit the mic. on the camera when it is mounted to the pass. side visor like mine was.

For less than $100., if all you want to do is show off a road and your car eating it, this thing is great. I will still make a video of the Mt. Hamilton road, but I am waiting for interest in it as a future Fit Meet site.

Dave

Old 10-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Retired Moderator
Cool, most cams have crappy sound qaulity anyway..I would post up my vid of us coming down the MT. Diablo road, but there is to much talking between me and my dad lol...

Old 10-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
COOL!!

Can't wait to see the vids!!

Old 10-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned
Sorry that this took so long- this video was made for an upcoming S.F.Bay Area Fit Meet. The rattling sound comes from the visor mount bracket "ticking" against the side of the camera lens, and the mic picked up the sound that I couldn't hear while driving.

Crackle - Stream On

Not too bad for an $89.00 camera!

Old 10-28-2007, 02:25 PM
5 Year Member
pretty good picture