Fit Interior & Exterior Illumination Threads discussing interior and exterior lighting modifications for the Fit/Jazz

DIY: Painting The Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET endorse, recommend, encourage nor take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

If you need instructions on how to take apart the headlight first please go to this link.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...headlight.html

Here's a picture so you get an idea of how the headlight looks like disassembled.

After the headlight is apart you need to take off the two screws that hold the painted plastic cover to the lens of the headlight. Then pop off the amber reflector and the clear running light cover. Be careful not to break the tabs on these.

I used VHT Nite-Shades spray paint to smoke the amber reflector and running light cover. I prepped them by taping up the areas I did not want any paint on and cleaned the surface that would be painted with some alcohol to make sure I got all my grease finger prints off. I then did three light coats of the smoke spray and it came out pretty good.

I used some Bond Aid spray paint that I had left over and Duplicolor Engine Enamel Semi-Gloss Black DE1635 to paint the colored plastic headlight covers. I also cleaned them with some alcohol and covered the running light area with painters tape. I sprayed a light coat of bond aid before spray painting. I did five light coats so there were no runs.

I recommend letting it dry overnight before putting it all back together.

If you need instructions on how to put the headlight back together please follow this link.
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tml#post189105

Last edited by smeister; 10-28-2007 at 10:36 AM.