Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

PCM Programmers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 12:32 AM
PCM Programmer Solution found?

Hey this is my first post here.

I traded my '01 Civic LX 2door in on my new '07 Fit. the Fit seems to be a better made car, and minimally peppier.

I come from the world of GM and PCM programmers (specifically I am a fan of Digital Horsepower's PowrTuner). Are there any PCM programmers for the US model of the Fit? I am not looking for a piggyback or someone else to re-program my PCM, I want access to the Spark and Fuel tables (like AE, PE, VE, IFRs, TP, etc...)

Just FYI not everyone who buys one of these programmers does it for performance only, I used mine to tune a nice 34 MPG (highway of course) from my turbocharged 3400 Grand Prix.

I would like to try to get even better gas mileage with my new fit. BTW, here in Plano, TX all of the gas stations were out of gas (every grade, even diesel) for the last couple of days. I didn't go down to Richardson, but I would imagine that was the case there as well.

Last edited by alphaseinor; 06-03-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:26 AM
This platform, the L series motor, isn't currently supported with aftermarket programmers. The closest thing we can hope for is a company like hondata (www.hondata.com) to come out with an ecu reflash or programmable ecu. With such a limited time on the market, it will take some time for the NA aftermarket to crack the codes and bring a product that will work well. Keep in mind, the only L series motors currently in the US are the hybrid honda car motors.....hardly performance pieces. Our NA L15 is even different from the Japaneese counterpart in that it adds drive-by-wire. This prevents the Japaneese developed aftermarket parts from being directly interchangeable on our cars. (ECU/FI kits)

Old 04-24-2006, 11:54 AM
I personally can't wait... I've never had drive by wire throttle before, but I can see where if you make a modification you might need to reprogram that as well...

Here's to a fast cracking of the PCM

Old 06-03-2006, 12:39 AM
Well, not sure if this is what we are looking for or not, but here goes,

Get the software directly from honda for $300/year + $250 yearly subscription for Service Express. (They haven't updated the software for the fit yet...)

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/RJAAI001_tools2.asp

Then get a Passthru from Drewtech or someone else who makes a passthru cable.

http://www.drewtech.com/products/mongoose.html

I'm hoping this is more than just a "reflash" and can actually allow me to change my freaking fuel settings... (not to mention a 2 bar map for other evil uses of my next fit!)

Old 04-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Any News on the ECU/PCM front? would love to get around these piggyback computers!

Old 04-04-2008, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
Don't bother waiting. Hondata pretty much said that the L15 is tuned as best as can be from the factory already, so they're not touching it at all. Only thing I've seen is the Greddy eManage Ultimate being used as well as an Apex fuel controller, but that's it, and they're being used respectively to support a FI setup or to optimize NA bolt-on's.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:26 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Correct! Honda's are recently being tuned to the max efficiency and power straight from the factory. The Fit proved this to Hondata when they attempted to develop a reflash for it.

I understand your interests and excitement in PCM flash tools and tunes, as they work freakin awesome on the domestics. I'm having fun tuning out the SCT Xcal2 for my mustang. so simple to make power on these muscles. Even the Ford SUVs get to have some tunability. Unfortunately, imports arent that easy.

You dont want to mess with ECM until u're messing with extreme n/a setup with cams/valvetrain upgrades or forced induction. I wouldn't even recommending them to "optimize" basic bolt-ons. There ARE negative effects to piggybacks, on some cars, more drastic than others.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm looking at forced induction on the stock ECU.

The stock NA tune also shows significant KR (sometimes up to 6*) when I've scanned it, but only on the automatic.

I guess I'll just have to start breaking it myself...

Old 04-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
dont introduce boost on stock ecm/tune. it is never a smart idea.

KR=Knock retard?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:30 AM
KR is knock retard.

yes... no boost on stock tune... that's what the thread is about... changing the stock tune to work with other applications.

something like HPTuners.com >> Performance At Your Fingertips

Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
You wont find any of those types of ECM tools for the Fit. Hondata is the mainstream and leader of engine management for Honda's.

Only thing that is superior than those GM/Ford programmers is a standalone system. Hondata K-Pro is by far the best system to use and beats those handheld programmers for domestics. Only way to implement Kpro is by swapping to the K-series engine into the Fit.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:27 PM
Maybe it's time someone made one... I keep seeing people blowing up their engines when they turbocharge the L15 Vtec...

I'm guessing Hondata doesn't know much more about reverse engineering the ECU than most people... it's just a matter of knowing the instructions, and trial and error your way through what table does what. fun stuff...

IIRC doesn't Honda tell you what parts of the ECU do what in the program... I know you have to pay them for the information, but if you made a company out of retuning fit/jazz (international), then it would be worth it. Lots of people think these cars are underpowered (me too), but I'm not jumping the gun until I can scan with a wideband AND make changes to fueling/timing.

HP tuners isn't a handheld... you have access to MAF, VE, timing, fueling, etc... you can screw it up, or you can make it run like a bat outta hell...

Old 04-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Hondata knows all about the Honda ecus. Honda even contracts them to tune their race cars. Hondata has a Honda Programmer (which costs upwards of $10k+), which allows them to access fuel/ignition tables of pretty much ANY Honda. But they do not release a flash for every Honda that comes out. Only ones that prove significant gains.

The main reason why Hondata doesnt do it, theres not a big market for it. Take a look at the B-series and K-series. The aftermarket is huge b/c its based on a performance oriented car. ie. Integra/RSX.

Now Hondata has already disected the Fit's ECM and determined it was well tuned from the factory. As for tuning with F/I, Hondata worked with a company that turboed the Fit and made a reflash for that setup. However, just b/c they made it, doesnt mean they will release it. Accessing the ECU's fuel parameters isnt as easy as the domestics. (when i talked about handhelds, i was talking in general, not specifically to HP tuners.) You need the Honda Computer to do so, and it is NOT at all user friendly like aftermarket engine management systems.

You're in N. Dallas, hit up Arturbo/T1 Race Development and see if they can help you towards whatever goal you want. Tony Palo is well-known in the Honda tuning world.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I'll see if I can talk to Tony... Thanks for the reference!

Just because it's a low volume market, doesn't mean there isn't a market... I guess that's what Tony's there for...

Old 04-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Originally Posted by alphaseinor
I'll see if I can talk to Tony... Thanks for the reference!

Just because it's a low volume market, doesn't mean there isn't a market... I guess that's what Tony's there for...
I totally agree. Sometimes i question their marketing methods, but they have solid reasoning behind their decisions when i ask about it.

I recently finished a project for Hondata, but there is a low market it for this particular item, so they decided to put the product on the shelf to collect dust. But they're using information gained from the project to develop even better things.