Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Seat covers/lumbar support

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Seat covers/lumbar support

Like some of you, I found the Fit seats were giving my lower back fits after a long ride. I looked for supports at the same time I was looking for some seat covers that didn't cost half as much as the car and came across these:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000BQMKKQ

I was hesitant at first to buy them being only able to see a picture, but after getting them I'm sorry I waited. These things protect the "business" portion of the seat and the built in support is great. They fit as well as they show in the picture (with no interference with the side air bags) and are really pretty well made. For the price I consider them to be a real bargain.

bob

Old 10-08-2006, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Bobthenuke, thanks for the info on the Target product. I shop Target both in store & on line and didn't find it. I've been using a Beauty Rest memory foam pillow, which fits the Fit perfectly. All 3 of my Hondas, even the Accord wagon ('95) have seats that are too firm. Does the Target seat support have soft padding on the seat pan, or do you think I'd still need the cushion? Having a padded seat pan seems to keep my lower back from hurting, but I'm not sure if it would be enough on a long trip -- haven't taken the Fit for a really long drive yet.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:51 PM
It's really hard for me to say, other than I have severe chronic back issues and this pad really helped. I'd have to say that the seat still feels firm, although there's some respite with these covers. My big issue was having that lumbar support exactly where I needed it. Hope this helps a little.

bob

Old 10-08-2006, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member
Nice find. Does it come in a pair or just the one cover ?

The support looks like it's a little higher than I'm used to but it's worth a shot. Here's what I've been using ever since I got the car and got it home.

Either way it's worth a shot, I never sit in the passengers seat anyway but it would be nice if they matched. Too bad they don't have it in leather for ALL the seats and in different colors. Oh well, either way I'll suffer but maybe not physically.

Old 10-08-2006, 10:15 PM
The price ($19.95) is for one.

bob

Old 10-08-2006, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
I have a little chairopractic(sp?) lumbar support I use...works alright..probably going to buy some ergonomic seats in a few years when I can afford it though.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bobthenuke
The price ($19.95) is for one.
Ok, thanks. That's what I fugured but wanted to make sure.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Like some of you, I found the Fit seats were giving my lower back fits after a long ride. I looked for supports at the same time I was looking for some seat covers that didn't cost half as much as the car and came across these:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000BQMKKQ

bob
Bob, if you have time could you post a pic of how that support looks installed in your Fit? I don't actually mind the style, and it could be nice for longer trips. Thanks!!

Old 10-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Packy,

I'm sorry but I don't use a web host for pics so I can't post any here. I can say that it looks *exactly* like the picture at the Target web site. I did one thing different and folded the portion that would go over the head rest down behind the front cushion... makes it easier if you have to remove the headrests. A good thing about these is that if you don't like them you can return them to a local Target store.

bob

Old 10-09-2006, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Here's an image hosting site that is used a lot in these forums and it's free.

http://imageshack.us/

Old 10-11-2006, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Ordered the seat cover on the 9th and the ETA is the 24th. 2 full weeks. I can order things from the other side of the planet and get them faster than I can when I order things here in this Country.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I went to a interior shop today and thay said that they can add a lumbar support to the oem seat with no problem. They can tuck a small support inside the seat and move or trim to the best fit. I think that I am going to get it done. I have had back surgery and I need lower back support.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
I know the feeling. Post a pic when you get it done I would be interested in how it turns out.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
Ordered the seat cover on the 9th and the ETA is the 24th. 2 full weeks. I can order things from the other side of the planet and get them faster than I can when I order things here in this Country.
They told me two weeks also but I got them within a week.

bob

Old 10-12-2006, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
I kinda suspected that it may be one of those types of deals where they give you the longest it may take. Couldn't imagine UPS taking that long even by ground.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
I kinda suspected that it may be one of those types of deals where they give you the longest it may take. Couldn't imagine UPS taking that long even by ground.

Thanks.
I can easily imagine UPS screwing up bringing something across the street. Hope you like them when you get them.

bob

Old 10-16-2006, 04:31 PM
5 Year Member
I can easily imagine UPS screwing up bringing something across the street. Hope you like them when you get them.

bob
By my calculation it should arrive tomorrow or the day after since it's in Georgia now. I have a pretty good UPS driver that brings my deliveries. Fed-Ex is the one I have problems with.

Thanks bob, I hope I like it too. Just have to wait and see.

Old 10-17-2006, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
Cover arrived today. It's the 17th, so 9th to 17th means it took 1 week to arrive. It went on easy and felt pretty comfortable but I'll give it a few days before making up my mind as to whether or not it will work for me. First impression is that the support is just a little too high.

I did the same thing and tucked the headrest cover part in behind the cushion since it doesn't fit the Fits headrest worth a flip.

Either way nice find Bob. Thanks

Old 10-25-2006, 05:03 AM
How's it working out for you now? I have to admit that I'm quite happy with mine. I actually bought two just to help protect the seats.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
The support cushion is a little too high for where my back gives me problems. I was thinking of trying to add a little cushion just below the one it has.

I strained my back while working on the car doing some mods Sunday. By Tuesday morning I had to take it out and put my other cushion back in the seat (God it felt good). It was to the point where I could barely stand after driving to work so I had to go with what I knew worked.

I like the seat cover. I just have to find a way to make it hit the spot that bothers me. That will have to wait a few days until my back stops hurting.

I filled up my ThermoSpa hot tub and plan on spending some time in it over the next few days to try and work it out.