Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Steering wheel distance v. pedal distance

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Steering wheel distance v. pedal distance

Just drove home my new Fit yesterday -- totally love it except that I can't seem to get the seat/back/wheel adjusted so my legs and arms are comfortable at the same time.

I'm 5'4" and when my legs are good, I have to drive straight-armed; conversely, when my arms are good, my legs feel crunched.

Never had this problem before and I've driven a lot of cars (and yes, my legs and arms are proportionate).

Suggestions? Is there another adjustment I'm missing maybe?

Is there such a thing as a steering wheel extender???

Old 09-09-2006, 03:35 PM
sam
Super Moderator
I'm a few inches shorter and always had to recline my seat in other cars to keep my head down a bit- all the way back to my Ford Gallaxy 500. In the Fit, I sit up straight and the ride is very comfortable. I push myself into the seat just a touch to get lower back support also.
Hope something works well for you.

The ability to sit upright is one of the big reasons I like the Fit! almost everything else seems to be designed so someone my size has to recline- which was fine until I started getting.. um.. older.

Old 09-09-2006, 05:53 PM
5 Year Member
I tend to stretch my arms out a bit too much, too. Small women are supposed to sit well back from the dash in case the air bags deploy. I wish the steering wheel had some adjustability. It helps if you use a lumbar seat cushion. It will move your upper body closer to the wheel, without scrunching your legs.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:00 PM
I've got the same problem as you. It was very uncomfortable at first but you get used to it. now when I drive other cars, driving without my arms straight out feels awkward.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:58 AM
It's been noted that this N.A. Market Fit has majorily overlooked this ergonomic issue for our wide range of body types for the extremely small and taller peoples.

Telescopic steering wheel and 6way adjustable seat should be of priority on the next model. That's why a definite test drive and fitting before one buys such an investment is vital.

However, there are some people who have found a comfortable medium.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:18 PM
im about 6 foot and mostly leg and arm with a shorter torso, the fit is near perfect for me. If you dont mid losing the airbag a good momo race wheel with some spacers could get you where you want but the risk arent worth it im my oppinion.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Has anyone looked into pedal extention?? Esp for clutch? Just curious, I test drove an automatic it was fine, then I drove a friends old honda car today, and I reached the clutch fine, but extending the leg all the way is not all that comfortable. Please post if you are petite and drive a manual...also if anyone has any information on the pedal extenders..

Old 05-30-2008, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
How is the steering wheel attached now? I would look into creating my own extender, but I don't know how the wheel is attached. Why do aftermarket wheels attach differently?

Old 06-01-2008, 12:20 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Same gripe here. Male, 5'11", probably very close to the US median in terms of height/weight/reach/inseam numbers. I straightened up the seatback and I drive with my knees pointing outwards. I'm comfortable enough, but it still could be better. A dead pedal also helped me enormously.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
This is the biggest issue i have with my fit. The 10 minutes test drive seemed OK, but after 30 minutes driving, my right hip is killing me. I needed the seat back further than it goes. I adapted a seat from another car (Min cooper) so i could have a longer range of andjustment, and now I can get comfortable below the waist, but I can't reach the steering wheel comfortably. I am considering the adapter and Momo wheel (I have the wheel from a prior car), and would give up the air bag, but not the cruise, so I still haven't found a suitable way to swap wheels and keep cruise yet.

Old 06-15-2008, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
Im 6'5 and I just have sit further back in the seat to be comfortable. Of course I have the seat all the way back on the sliders too.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
got some parts coming in from japan to do the aftermarket steering wheel.

keep you guys posted. actually i'll post a DIY when it comes in... probably
will take 1.5wks.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:34 PM
5'3 ish and SAME PROBLEM - any solutions?

Originally Posted by gracieracer
....I can't seem to get the seat/back/wheel adjusted so my legs and arms are comfortable at the same time.

I'm 5'4" and when my legs are good, I have to drive straight-armed; conversely, when my arms are good, my legs feel crunched.
What did fellow shorties do to get comfortable - or is it something you just need to get used to after a while?

Old 09-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Though I don't know exactly what the "cruise" plug looks like, I think it would be simple to cut the wires about an inch below the plug and extend them as necessary to reach through the extender\adapter. If you don't mind losing the airbag you can get an extender + steering wheel for under $50 on eBay. The OEM steering wheel is held on with splines and a nut. I don't know what the spline size is, yet.
Personally, I would like to find a 100mm (4") extender that would fit the stock steering wheel. Our stock steering wheels has as good a grip as most aftermarket ones, and I like my cruise and airbag, so if anyone knows where to get a 100mm extension that accepts a stock steering wheel, please post its' whereabouts. Thanks! Britt.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm 5'3" and got my 09 Fit Sport on Monday. I've been making adjustments little by little but I've pretty much found a comfort spot. Mostly I've been having trouble adjusting the mirrors to get rid of a blind spot.

I sit on a cushion (also did in my previous car) and I find that helps out a lot. The one I use raises me while still letting my legs reach the pedals.

I have sciatica (pinched nerve in my tail bone) so I sit on the cushion for two reasons.

You can find them for about $17 Coccyx Cushion - DMI Seat Mate Sloping Coccyx Cushion

If you have an 09 the steering wheel telescopes as well as adjusts vertically have you tried that?

Old 09-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lhcbc
Though I don't know exactly what the "cruise" plug looks like, I think it would be simple to cut the wires about an inch below the plug and extend them as necessary to reach through the extender\adapter. If you don't mind losing the airbag you can get an extender + steering wheel for under $50 on eBay. The OEM steering wheel is held on with splines and a nut. I don't know what the spline size is, yet.
Personally, I would like to find a 100mm (4") extender that would fit the stock steering wheel. Our stock steering wheels has as good a grip as most aftermarket ones, and I like my cruise and airbag, so if anyone knows where to get a 100mm extension that accepts a stock steering wheel, please post its' whereabouts. Thanks! Britt.
one thing to remember is that your turn signal stalk will be 4" farther
away if you push just the steering wheel...

something to think about. imho, 30mm is max without making it kind
of a werd feeling (too much of a reach).

Old 09-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Yep, you're right. If the '09 has a teloscopic then finding what that would cost seems the best way to make this work for everyone. I guess I'll be waiting a while.