Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY: "Stealth" fiberglass sub box.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
what happend?!

Old 10-12-2006, 03:50 PM
i followed your idea and i finished mine so hurry up! lol jk
it took me 2 days because i had to wait overnight to dry completly, normally project like this should run around 10-15 hours
good luck with your box, make sure its cubic fit match with your subwoofer, if it's over just put some cotton inside, you'd be suprise how nice it sound if you get the dimension correct

Old 10-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Hah, well.. as I mentioned earlier, I was getting married.

And I did... two weeks ago. Problem was, all this time I thought I lost my camera at the reception (and it had all these pictures on it, among others). I was over my parents house tonight wiring up the amp, and I mention to my brother that I was pissed at losing it. He says "your camera? it's in my car."

;p

So, with all that going on, a week long project took 2 months. So, here are the rest!

- Laid down a few layers of glass as described in earlier steps.

- Made a mixture of 6:1 body filler to resin. It might vary a bit depending on what brand you use or how hot/cold it is outside. Add correct amounts of both hardeners and mix well. Basically, you want body filler you can apply with a paintbrush.

- Sand, test fit and repeat. (This was taken after the first layer.. another was laid to smooth out the folds a bit.)

... aaaaaaand carpet.

Done. (And I know I need to clean the driver and vaccuum the car, thx)

Last edited by joe d; 10-19-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:01 PM
Awsome job Joe D, looks great, how does it sound, does it stay in place while driving hard?

Well done, and congrats on the wedding

Chris.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:39 AM
good job mate, a little bit bumpy but hey, you got it done!
and congrad on the wedding

Old 01-10-2007, 08:16 PM
5 Year Member
hey Joe D,i was wondering how the fiberglass/mdf box ended up sounding.Did you need insulation in it?Does it move around much when you drive?

Old 01-10-2007, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
looks really nice, but i would be somewhat conserned about the woofer driver. while it is nice to show it off it is kinda exposed to everything. if it would be in my old car it would have been toast and ripped very fast as i uset to carry bunch of work crap with me all the time that ended up flying allover the trunk...

Old 01-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Here is another option.

This is my setup that sits in the spare tyre rim.

Honda Jazz Club Australia :: View topic - 06 Sub Install

not sure if the US fits have a full size spare or a space saver??

Old 01-12-2007, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
they are just space savers.Too bad.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:51 PM
fiberglas sub enclosure

Heres another example

Old 01-13-2007, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
what did you use to cover the boxes with?Is that some sort of vinyl or leather?It looks really good.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by TotallyFit
what did you use to cover the boxes with?Is that some sort of vinyl or leather?It looks really good.
Its Carbon Fiberish vinyl and suede,Thanks

Old 01-14-2007, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member
Did you order it online,or get it anywhere in particular?Does it have an actual name?

Old 03-03-2007, 08:04 PM
5 Year Member
I've been working on my box,its gonna be much bigger than this one,and it's gonna be all fibreglass except for the back.Im making it bigger so i can mount my amps and such on the back of it.Also,im using a type R so i need a bigger box.Today im gonna start glassing the wood to what i've glassed so far.Man that resin stink stays in your car for a long time.Ill post some pictures when i've got more done.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Getting closer!Im pretty excited it's turning out pretty good.Here are some pictures of what i have so far.

I tinfoiled and then taped over that.I advise using PAM on the tape,then it just pretty much falls right off.

All the stuff i used.I made sure to have the correct mask.I have gone through about 5 jugs of resin so far.LOTS!!!

Here is the first coat drying under a lamp.It was too cold out and the resin wouldnt dry without it.

Here is a lot of coats later,i changed the design a bit to make the bottom of the box fiberglass instead of wood.Makes it sound and stay together better.

Here is the what i have so far in the car.

That is it i will post more pics when im closer to being done.

Last edited by TotallyFit; 03-08-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
Impressive, TotallyFit! What size volume are you shooting for because it looks like it's going to be awfully big? Are you going to have the sub facing up (on a yet-to-be-built surface)? I want to make a small subwoofer enclosure for the same location, all though I'm thinking of using a little more wood and a little less fiberglass. You're doing a great job so far. The 'glass looks quite thick.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:50 PM
5 Year Member
Ya, and you want it to be fairly thick. I've heard too many horror stories of people spending MAJOR bank on a custom fiberglass setup, only to have it start to crack and separate on them several months to a year later.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
Oh thanks i've been putting a lot of hours into glassing so it wont crack,and so it will sound better.Im going to mount the sub woofer in the same fashion as the other glass box.Ill make a ring and drape the fleece over the ring.It will not really stick out far because im looking for between .75 to 1.15 cubic feet.The best would be 1 cubic foot.Im not going to compete or anything crazy so im not gonna be really accurate on the volume.More wood and less glass would probably be easier than what im doing,but im stubborn so i want to do it this way.Im going to make the ring and glass it in this weekend so ill take some pictures once i've done it.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
Oh yeah there is probably 5 or 6 layers of glass all over the place.And when im done the entire shape,just to be safe,ill put maybe another 2 layers or so all over so there will be no chance of cracking.I'd hate to have this thing crack after all the work i'll have done.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
Well, I wouldn't worry too much about yours cracking or anything...considering it's already fairly thick and you're only throwing one Type-R sub in. I knew a guy running a couple of JL Audio W7's and his stuff started breaking on him. I'm sure you're quite alright.

Quick Reply: DIY: "Stealth" fiberglass sub box.