Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

specific accessories question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 07:57 PM
specific accessories question

Hi all, I've pretty much decided to get myself a Fit. Probably a regular (non-sport) AT, mostly since I've read in here that MT's are so tough to get ahold of. Anyway, a couple questions:

I know, in general, you're better off getting accessories from somewhere other than the dealer. But I'm wondering if there are any exceptions, like are there any accessories that would be a pain to self-install (applique?) or the same price aftermarket, or that one would have any other reason to want to get from the dealer?

Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Buy it online from accessories dealers, and then install them yourself.

There is no reason to install it by the dealer because they come with nice instructions and require minimal tools in all cases.

You will really love your new Fit.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Installation of the hooks that hold the Honda floor mats requires cutting the carpeting. Since I didn't want to pay to replace the carpeting if I screwed up, I am letting the dealer do the floor mat install. Through the Sam's Club Auto Buying Program, I got a discounted price of $106 for the floor mats with installation.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:23 PM
What's the Sam's Club Auto Buying Program? I'm a member of Costco, wondering if they have something similar.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by campersand
What's the Sam's Club Auto Buying Program? I'm a member of Costco, wondering if they have something similar.
The two programs are very similar. We belong to both Sam's Club and Costco. I used both auto buying programs when shopping for a Fit.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Did it save you anything on the actual price of the car or just accessories?

Old 08-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by campersand
Did it save you anything on the actual price of the car or just accessories?
In our case, just accessories. However, we are also getting the car with no markup and no dealer pack items such as pinstriping, paint protectant, fabric treatment, window etching, and rust proofing. The dealer also knows we will be reporting our buying experience back to Sam's Club. They are therefore less likely to try anything unethical.

I have heard of Costco auto dealers in some locations giving $100 off of MSRP on Honda Fits.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BargainSeeker
Installation of the hooks that hold the Honda floor mats requires cutting the carpeting. Since I didn't want to pay to replace the carpeting if I screwed up, I am letting the dealer do the floor mat install. Through the Sam's Club Auto Buying Program, I got a discounted price of $106 for the floor mats with installation.
When I was installing my mats, I found that there were already incisions made in the carpet for carpet hooks. All I had to do was to complete the cut with some scissors (it was like a 1 mm thick thread), and the entire section is ready for hook installs..

Old 08-14-2006, 01:49 PM
ever heard of the word "stealership" lol
if u have the skill to DIY, buy it online and DIY it, not that hard

Old 08-17-2006, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member
Youre not actually supposed to cut the carpet. Its cut on 3 sides so you just tuck it in to get to the foam out. Then when you install the hooks you pull the little flap back out.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:08 AM
not all dealership are greedy, you have to shop around to get the best price, and the dealership can give you instructions on installs also since most of the accessories don't come with them in the package, which isn't their fault, best place most people get oem accessories parts is H and A accessories, which is a dealership that sells for a hell of a loss on profit.