Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Subwoofer enclosure thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 01:54 PM
Subwoofer enclosure thoughts.

After reading various posts, I see that many of you would like better options for adding some bass to your vehicle without losing so much storage space.

What we were thinking of doing was creating a custom enclosure for one 10' woofer. The enclosure would be available in carbon fiber or fiberglass, and would replace the back panel that normally attaches to the inside of the rear hatch.

We may need to build it out a bit in order to acquire proper air space for the 10' sub. How many of you would be interested in something like this? I think it would be a nice compromise for some decent bass, and keeping decent storage space. It would look pretty darn pimp too!

Let us know your thoughts, and thanks for your input once again.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:14 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BenDF
After reading various posts, I see that many of you would like better options for adding some bass to your vehicle without losing so much storage space.

What we were thinking of doing was creating a custom enclosure for one 10' woofer. The enclosure would be available in carbon fiber or fiberglass, and would replace the back panel that normally attaches to the inside of the rear hatch.

We may need to build it out a bit in order to acquire proper air space for the 10' sub. How many of you would be interested in something like this? I think it would be a nice compromise for some decent bass, and keeping decent storage space. It would look pretty darn pimp too!

Let us know your thoughts, and thanks for your input once again.
that would be hot! how about something perhaps that could fit in the middle of the back seats that allows us to fold up and down our seats still?!

Old 08-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Wow, I wold love to see an enclosure of CF. What do you think the cost estimate would be?

Old 08-04-2006, 03:06 PM
I won't know exact costs until we actually finish the mold. However, most of the cost will be from the material. It's a pretty large piece, and it needs to be strong. I don't want any weird resonance happening there.

I am going to try to keep it in the $500 range give or take. The fiberglass version will be substantially cheaper, for those who want to paint it their stock color.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks, I will be looking for pics when you have the finished products. Thanks again

Old 08-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I'd be totally interested too.

So much of what I'd like to modify on my Fit Sport requires parts that don't exist yet, including a double-DIN console swap, dead pedal, etc. A custom sub-enclosure would be most definitely on my list... couldn't have hoped for something THAT specialized so soon after this car launched!

Old 08-05-2006, 12:28 AM
I am in seach for something like that. Wouldn't be a bad idea to make something for the opposite side to hide/mount an amp or two. I would only be in for fiberglass so I could upholster it to match interior. I'd like it to be as stealthy as possible.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:54 PM
There is barely going to be enough room for the sub. I think we'll leave the amps out of this design. Less chance of rattling problems. We want the piece to look nice, and be sturdy. However, we want Fit owners to still have storage space.

I think when people throw a box back there, they are really giving up what little storage they have.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 PM
I didn't mean to have the amp in the same side as the sub. It seems there is a little more room on the passenger side so I assume thats where the sub would go. I was suggesting making a panel to go on the drivers side that would be able to hold the amp on the inside. That way both sides would be CF. Clear as mud?

Old 08-08-2006, 01:25 PM
I think maybe you are not understanding what we are making... Or I am not understanding what you are saying. This enclosure is not attaching to the seat. It is replacing the panel that attaches to the rear hatch.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:55 PM
What size subwoofer are you intending to fit in the enclosure? 8", 10", 12"? When do you think you will have pics of the product? Thank you..

Old 08-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Ahhh okay, I was under the impression it was going to be attached to the side over/ behind the wheelwell. My bad. I guess I'll wait till you come out with something and check it out then.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:19 PM
We are going to try to have enough airspace for a 10 inch subwoofer.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
Count me in! I am used to the sub in my element (it's OEM but still sounds good). The bass in the Fit is lacking bigtime.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Well, Im planning(as soon as a reasonable dash kit comes in) to install additional midrange speakers in the back door. I used thios techniqu in my jeep cherokee, and I tell you what. Talk about tail gate party city. You can put a cooler inside the trunk pop the door and have music playing from your car sterio. Very fun! Id probably be interested in a mount for that, otherwise I am just going to have to cut holes in my hatches door panel.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Personally I do not like speakers in the rear, unless it used for a very mild rear fill. That's just me though.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by BenDF
Personally I do not like speakers in the rear, unless it used for a very mild rear fill. That's just me though.
I understand. But, I am planning on using these primarily for portiparty reasons. I live in a very small town. A very fun thing to do is have a porta party(or a lake party(CRAZY!!!)). And I do not think that the bass would be very good for dance music. Ill probably get a tube bass like the other guy. or Ill use this stuff.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2321891

see the speakers in the back there. Thats what im talkin about.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:21 PM
How is the progress going on the subwoofer enclosure for the 10" subwoofer?

Old 08-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Awesome IDEA! I'd prolly buy one right away!!

Old 09-12-2006, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
I'd like to hear more news about the box.I want one,so keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer enclosure thoughts.