Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Recommend some head units!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 03:41 PM
Recommend some head units!

Looking to upgrade the stock unit in my Fit sport, but wanting to hear some opinions.

It's been a long time since I've dabbled in car audio since the premium system in my old car was so good.

Anyway my plan was a Pioneer AVH-8400, or their new AppRadio. I like the advanced phone controls those offer. But, I'm open to other suggestions.

Here's what I'd like:

Large high res touch screen (7")
Bluetooth handsfree and streaming, USB input, aux input.
Any smart phone integration is a plus! I stream mainly from Spotify.
Don't care about optical disc, won't be using.
Surround/multichannel sound bonus. I'd gladly add a center channel, but not requirement.
Not interested in navigation, unless it's not significantly more expensive since I use my phone for navigation (hence the AppRadio or 8400 choice).

Any suggestions for other similar head units? Not completely concerned about cost. Looking to add nice component sets/small sub and amp(s). I'll be going for sound quality, not overwhelming SPL. Pioneer units have always sounded pleasing to me, but I'm not sold completely into them. I've read some instances where the 8400 screen freezes until you turn the car off/on, so any other brands with similar features and sound quality I'll certainly consider.

Last edited by SgtBaxter; 07-11-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
Good for you for doing some of your own research! I always liked it when someone came into the shop with an idea of what they wanted. I personally didn't like older Pioneer's, and they are notorious for the pico fuse issue for the outputs. They also used to be goofy in needing to have the radio off to change the clock as well as some other miscellaneous settings. The only other thing that I would bring up (and it may not be an issue in your case) if anyone else drives your fit without an iPhone may be left with only an AM/FM radio. My wife has an iPhone and I have a Droid so it would be an issue in my family. I've heard some good reviews on the AppRadio, and all radios will have some minor issues. I would stop by your local specialty shop and give the AppRadio some seat time to see if there is anything you don't like. Certain aspects of the unit can be changed, and some things can't.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Can you recommend any similar units from other brands? I'm not completely sold on Pioneer even though I've always had good luck with them. I've read about freezing issues with the 8400, though I'm sure a firmware update will remedy that.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
You are on the right path, and the Pioneer products are good. Some units (like older Kenwood's) are slow to react to inputs and sometimes they don't release a firmware to address those issues. The manufacturer will just work on the next model year units and hope you just buy the next one!! Basically I'm saying that you can't always expect the manufacturer to remedy every issue.

Honestly you want features that will be found on most upper end units (that will probably include nav even though you don't necessarily want it) but most manufacturers will do what you want. What I like in a given unit may or may not matter to you. In my most recent radio purchase for my wife's car she wanted bluetooth for her phone conversations and nav. I had very good experience with Kenwood and there parntership with Garmin. I have an older Alpine unit in my Accord and they have yet to release a relevant nav upgrade.

If I were in your shoes I would get to your local specialty shop and play around with what they offer. Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood, Alpine, and Clarion all offer decent units and you never know what you might or might not like.