Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Possible to make power outlet non-switched?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Possible to make power outlet non-switched?

One of my few complaints about my new Fit is that the power outlet (aka "cigarette lighter outlet", for us old-timers ) is switched, meaning that it's only on when the car is on.

Is it possible to make it stay on all the time, so I can leave something plugged in to charge overnight?

If I have to take my phone or MP3 player inside to charge it overnight, sometimes I forget to take it back out to the car when I get ready to leave for work.

In every car I've used it in before (admittedly limited to a Neon and a PT Cruiser), it was on all the time, so I got used to that.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:30 PM
sam
Super Moderator
Lightbulb General electronics answer

You can certainly power it from a location which is not controlled by the ignition position. I'm sure someone will tell you which fuse etc. Presumably someone has done this but I've not seen it discussed here.

so... yes

An easy way to find a fuse is to use a simple 12v tester and see which are live. The fuse cover tells you about the fuses that are already in use- along with a few that are used for options. Presumably the empty slots (not the storage slots) are available for use.

You can also always draw power from battery and bring it in. Be sure to place a fuse inline.

Again, hopefully someone did this already and can hand you a pre-packaged answer from experience doing exactly this. Also should be an easy and relatively inexpensive mod for a competent mechanic to do for you.

I don't know if anyone has a NA Fit wiring manual- it is always mentioned along with this kind of thread but nobody seems to have it yet.

Bet wishes-

Old 07-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
somepeople like that becuase its an easy fuse to tap into for powering an amp

Old 07-21-2006, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Balorn

In every car I've used it in before (admittedly limited to a Neon and a PT Cruiser), it was on all the time, so I got used to that.
Very interested in the solution to this as every winter I've plugged in a 5W
solar PVC trickle charger in my other cars to keep the battery at it's best in -30.