Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Bugs in the car!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Bugs in the car!

Alright just recently in the morning I have been geting bugs in my car.. little gnat sized ones that fly around on the windshield.. its very annoying! When I leave my car at night all the windows are rolled up tight and the AC is set to recycle the air.. I have no idea how the yare getting in but I want them gone! any ideas?

Old 07-18-2006, 12:44 PM
At night, use a flash light to lure them out of the car.
They will fly to the light out the window hopefully.

If they keep appearing then try some sort of small glue trap on the dash overnight with a glowing stick/light under it.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Do you have a garbage bag or an empty bottle of pop in the car somewhere? They could be fruit flys being drawn by the smell of it. Those buggers can get into anywhere. As much as we would like to think it, a car is not a 100% sealed system even with the windows rolled up and recycle air on.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:02 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
One time my dad and I came back to the car (this was years ago) after only being gone for a few hours, and a spider egg sack had hatched thousands of baby spiders all over the center console of my Volvo! I like spiders, but my skin was crawling the rest of the day!

I agree with the flypaper idea. You could even put it in a spot that isn't visible to everyone... the flys will still find it.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Exclamation Moth balls

Fresh moth Balls under the seat works wonders too. I've always put those in stored cars and they keep the micro critters at bay...

Old 07-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
mabye i will try that, but it still smell like old people

Old 07-18-2006, 02:06 PM
oh, that reminds me... I was freaking out last week when I went into my car and all of sudden I see like 4 freaking mosquitos inside the car... but luckily that's the only time I've seen them..

Old 07-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
well I live like 5mins away (walking distance) from the colorado river.. and its pretty humid and moist here mosquitos are bad too..

Old 07-18-2006, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
We couldn't get a stupid fly out of the car for like 20 miles last week. It would go into hiding every time we opened the windows to flush it out, and right back to zooming around the windshield when they went up... argh!!!

Old 07-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Dude, do 2-60:

Roll down two windows and go 60mph! That will suck them out.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
so.. today I got in the car and its like there was twice as many bugs as there have ever been.. so before I even turned the car on I was tryin to squish em with the napkin I had.. AUGH so annoying! i think ill try some moth balls or spray some bug spray on cotten balls and try that..

Old 07-20-2006, 11:30 PM
I actually watched a fly die a couple days ago from the heat (I guess) on my dashboard I was on my phone and it just died (the car was off and the windows were up too.)

Old 07-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loganjnt
I actually watched a fly die a couple days ago from the heat (I guess) on my dashboard I was on my phone and it just died (the car was off and the windows were up too.)
thats awesome..

-- to get back to my problem.
Last night I closed the vents.. the ones I could and had the AC off and the fan set to off.. and the next morning................ THERE ARE FREAKIN BUGS CRAWLING ON MY WINDSHIELD!

Old 07-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Check this thread out...

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-interior-modifications/7087-sand-storm-leaking-threw-foot-wells.html

Maybe the inside of the FIT is not sealed properly.... bugs (and sand)
found the hole????

Old 07-21-2006, 10:31 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
yeah.. Iam getting rather annoyed by this.. i dunno what else to try?! anybody got a smoke kit so I can see where the holes are located?

Old 08-30-2006, 03:31 AM
5 Year Member
I have the bug problem also i have found soo many dead bees and crap in there it's annoying, yesterday i found one in the center console by the aux jack. WTF?

Old 09-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Instead of mothballs you could get some little cedar balls (or even cedar chips/shavings...like what what you'd put in a gerbil cage). The smell of cedar is that tree's natural defense against bugs and parasites. Grab a 5 lb. bag of cedar chips from the pet store and and wrap a good handful loosely into some cheesecloth from the grocery. Throw one of these packets under each seat...maybe one in the glovebox and if you think it'd help, put one under the panel in the cargo bay, where the spare tire lives.

Another thing, get some boric acid (nothing like bug poison, that stuff is so bad for you, especially in an enclosed area like your FiT.), just plain boric acid. (Try 20 Mule Team Borax from the laundry detergent aisle of your grocery...I think that's just plain boric acid.) Spinkle this stuff (it's like baking soda) down around the floorboards and draw a line with it across the downward curve/dip thing in your dash. They will eat it, get gas, and as they are exoskeletal creatures having no way to dissipate the pressure, they will rupure and die.

so yeah, cedar chips and borax. Worked on an infestation including spiders, roaches, house and fruit flies, and mosquitos...on a 1978 Caddy, in Florida.

Good Luck.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
hmm.. intresting idea.. I will look into it next year I think that this prolem has such stopped..

Old 09-10-2006, 12:25 PM
oh, there *is* a LAST resort. what I mentioned in my last post should keep the critters out of your cabin. But if they keep coming back, that means they have a nest of some kind in the car somewhere. Then do this: go to the paint aisle in Home Depot (or whereever) and get a big plastic tarp, enough to cover the car. It doesn't have to be thick or durable. Then get some of those dry-smoke bug fumigators (Not the old-skool bug bmb foggers that shoot straight up.). RIAD used to make them, I bet they still do. Tarp the FiT, open the windows, and set up the fumigators under the car. Priamrily, ylu'd be trying to reach into the crevices of the engine bay, and fire wall, and so forth. places that are in the car but not in the cabin. You'd roll the windows down just to be thorough. But seriously make sure the car is really well aired out before you go to shutting the windows again. As we're getting into Fall time, this might be a good time of year to drive al fresco anyways. Again, good luck!

Old 09-10-2006, 01:46 PM
With regards to the Moth Ball solution;
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
mabye i will try that, but it still smell like old people
LMAO