Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Lumbar support?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Lumbar support?

I took my new FIT for a bit of a road trip for the first time and found that I really need some better back support than what the stock seats provide. It's Hell geting old. Has anyone found a support that fits well (no pun intended), works well, and looks halfway decent? It's difficult to go by pictures on the 'Net.

TIA,

Bob

Last edited by bobthenuke; 07-16-2006 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bobthenuke
I took my new FIT for a bit of a road trip for the first time and found that I really need some better back support than what the stock seats provide. It's Hell geting old. Has anyone found a support that fits well (no pun intended), works well, and looks halfway decent? It's difficult to go by pictures on the 'Net.

TIA,

Bob
My Accord wagon seats were terrible and I tried multiple pillows. Those narrow oblongs in foam, made specifically for lower lumbar, work ok. For the Fit I'm sitting on a squarish neck support pillow made with memory foam, Beauty Rest, that I got on sale at a local outlet store. (Manufacturers often brag that the foam was "developed by NASA".) They cost a fortune at Mattress Barn, but you can find them for around $14-$15. Having padding in the seat also seems to help my lower back. Your best bet may be to check ergonomic websites and get something designed for office chairs. I know people who carry theirs between work and their car. There's a seat cushion that has a cutout area that relieves pressure at the base of the spine and provides support everywhere else. And don't feel old -- I know young people who get sore from sitting on hard seats!

Old 07-16-2006, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
You won't win any interior decor awards with this one but I've found the Therm-a-Rest self inflating lumbar pillow to be just right for my back issues. If you shift your expectations and think of it less as a permanent fixture in your car and more as a portable orthopedic back support you may find it possible to forgive its homely appearance. Its advantage is that you can deflate and roll into a tidy bundle, so you can easily take it with you to long meetings, concerts, movies or other lengthy episodes of sitting. Also good as an emergency (or camping) pillow or seat cushion . . .

Therm-a-Rest has come out with a new "bone-shaped" version that I don't like as much, because I don't think it provides support as well. This one's simple rectangular shape makes it easy to cover with a pillowcase if matching your interior color is a priority. Very simple straight seam sewing job for anyone who can thread a needle . . .

Campmor has a good deal on these right now, for around $27 incl. s/h.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

Old 07-17-2006, 01:17 AM
Thanks so much for the recommendations...I'll definately look into the Therm-a-rest. I'm spoiled by the seats in my MR2 and Supra with the adjustable support. These are just perfect for my back.

bob

Old 07-17-2006, 01:27 AM
Target had some small pillows with the foam beads (smaller than bean bag chair foam beads) with stretchy black fabric that were retangular in size. I think they were about $15. I couldnt find the exact one that I saw, but this was similar.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000EOW9YW

Last edited by jake95825; 07-17-2006 at 01:33 AM.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member
These may not still be available. I don't even remember where I got them, because it was in 1996, but I had two inflatable lumbar support pillows specifically designed for auto use. They looked exactly like a blood pressure cuff, but had a flat plastic stay in them. They were an easy install in my VW GTI, because the center cushions on the seats were only attached at the top and bottom. I just slid them in between the cushion and seatback, pumped them up, and it was lumbar bliss. I sure hope still have them somewhere, can find them again, and figure out how to get them into the seats when I get my Fit.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
I've found that some people love the memory foam and others inflatable air pillows. It's a matter of personal preference. If you go for foam, pay extra for the "memory" foam so it doesn't mat down. I have a long commute every day and I've been using one for 3 months now -- still like new. This is one website that offers it, but you can find it in stores, often on sale:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=284507

Old 07-17-2006, 01:50 PM
Another option that I'm looking into (and it may be more attactive in the Fit) is the Mesh Lumbar Support. There are several available on the web and through eB*y:

http://search.ebay.com/Mesh-Lumbar-S...romZR8QQfsopZ1

Old 07-14-2007, 08:18 AM
cc1
PosturePro Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by jrlnc
Another option that I'm looking into (and it may be more attactive in the Fit) is the Mesh Lumbar Support. There are several available on the web and through eB*y:

eBay - Mesh Lumbar Support, Office, Printing Shipping, Business Industrial items on eBay.com
Thanks, that was a great suggestion to check out the mesh lumbar support.

I just got this: "PosturePro Lumbar Support" if you do a google search that'll take you to pics of product available many places... amazon, ebay

With shipping I paid about $17, so not much of a risk to try it. I think it very comfortable, and black mesh has a minimal appearance in front seat.

I got one for my computer chair too. It depends on chair, but this product tends to slip downwards. With a car seat, the slippage isn't an issue, but desk chair is open behind seat cushion, so supports tends to slip down there.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
JDM lumbar support

link

Old 07-05-2008, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BKKJack
These may not still be available. I don't even remember where I got them, because it was in 1996, but I had two inflatable lumbar support pillows specifically designed for auto use. They looked exactly like a blood pressure cuff, but had a flat plastic stay in them. They were an easy install in my VW GTI, because the center cushions on the seats were only attached at the top and bottom. I just slid them in between the cushion and seatback, pumped them up, and it was lumbar bliss. I sure hope still have them somewhere, can find them again, and figure out how to get them into the seats when I get my Fit.

Did you find the inflatable lumbar supports and install them? If so how hard was it to get inside the seat? I found a link for them and want to try it out, but am cautious to do so until I know they can be installed in the Fit seats.
Universal Inflatable In Seat Lumbar Air Bladder

Old 07-06-2008, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
mdm427 a while ago said he had gotten one of these powered aftermarket support systems ... haven't heard how that worked out yet..

last I heard, he said it look like it could go right in via the zipper. PM'd him about a follow up to see how they worked...it was mentioned in this thread

Last edited by StreetUrchin; 07-06-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by StreetUrchin
mdm427 a while ago said he had gotten one of these powered aftermarket support systems ... haven't heard how that worked out yet..

last I heard, he said it look like it could go right in via the zipper. PM'd him about a follow up to see how they worked...it was mentioned in this thread

Thanks! I only searched in "Fit Inside" Would have never thought it would be in a thread poll titled "How did you buy your Fit"

Old 07-06-2008, 11:51 AM
5 Year Member
I know...after I saw this thread I was racking my brain trying to find it. I did get a reply from him early this morning and here's the cut and paste, hopefully he doesn't mind, so throw him a thanks if you find this helpful:

Originally Posted by mdm427
Yes I did finally get it installed. I had intended to do a quick "how-to" post, but there were so many details involved that it became too much trouble to do a write up for something that so few would be interested in.

It works just fine, but not as well as I was hoping it would. The lumbar in/out provides adequate support to my lower back, but the up/down function doesn't seem worth having.

The unit fit right in the seat, between the foam and the lower part of the seat frame. I removed the two middle springs that attach at each side of the seat frame, and that area is now supported by the lumbar unit itself. I attached the upper end of the unit to the seat frame sides with two extension springs to allow it to flex when you lean on it. I had originally hard-mounted it, but it made the upper part of the seat back way too stiff. The lower part of the lumbar unit is held in place by sliding it behind the lower part of the seat frame. I removed the motors from the lumbar unit and mounted them to the seat frame sides so they wouldn't protrude when the cover was zipped up. The control switches are mounted on the plastic panel on the side of the seat bottom, and they have somewhat of a factory appearance. For the juice, I tapped into an unused fuse location that is only powered when the ignition is on.
The above quote was from a PM answering a question I asked for a follow up to his install.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Here's a quick pic to show how the lumbar fit into the seat.

The lumbar is pretty straight in the seat, I just took a crooked photo!

Old 07-09-2008, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Looks good! and nice placement on the switches.