Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

6.5" Component Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 10:42 AM
5 Year Member
6.5" Component Install

Here are the pics.

I had to trim the door panel interior with a dremel and cut out the stock speaker from the bracket with a box cutter knife to reuse the old bracket for the stock fit. I couldnt get new 6.5" components to fit the 1" speaker spacers anyways.

Last pictures is incase someone needs to know where to pop the door panel off...starting from the bottom of course.

Last edited by smeister; 07-02-2006 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Master FitFreaker
niceeeeeeeeeeeee man

Old 07-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Need a bit of Dynamat and some diffussors to reduce backwave distortion in there. Never ceases to amaze me how $300 splits can sound better than $1,000 splits when sealed and soundproofed right for next to no cost.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:18 PM

Is that some stock sound deadening treatment in the door, or did you do that yourself?

Old 07-02-2006, 09:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vividjazz
Need a bit of Dynamat and some diffussors to reduce backwave distortion in there. Never ceases to amaze me how $300 splits can sound better than $1,000 splits when sealed and soundproofed right for next to no cost.
Can you recommend exactly where to place the dynamat and the diffusors? Thanks man!

Old 07-02-2006, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Edwood

Is that some stock sound deadening treatment in the door, or did you do that yourself?
The door comes like that stock.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
thx for the write up, going to do mine tmr

Old 07-06-2006, 06:56 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by smeister
Can you recommend exactly where to place the dynamat and the diffusors? Thanks man!
http://www.ausjazz.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=254

Diffusors go behind the mid bass speaker but on top of the layer of soundproofing on the inside of the outside of the door. Then another layer of soundproofing goes on the inside of the door on which the inner door trim fits basic creating doors which are soundproofed boxes. You can do multiple layers of soundproofing. Been in cars with 6 layers.

The link above has pictures. Important to apply the soundproofing with a proper roller not just slap it on. Sheets are fine as can be cut and fitted and are easier to work with than the toxic liquid stuff.

Your doors come up feeling solid like a luxury car when you open and close them.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vividjazz
http://www.ausjazz.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=254

Diffusors go behind the mid bass speaker but on top of the layer of soundproofing on the inside of the outside of the door. Then another layer of soundproofing goes on the inside of the door on which the inner door trim fits basic creating doors which are soundproofed boxes. You can do multiple layers of soundproofing. Been in cars with 6 layers.

The link above has pictures. Important to apply the soundproofing with a proper roller not just slap it on. Sheets are fine as can be cut and fitted and are easier to work with than the toxic liquid stuff.

Your doors come up feeling solid like a luxury car when you open and close them.
Hey thanks for another great tip and info. I have my crossover mounted right behind the woofer so I guess I'll just leave it as is. It sounds good enough for me anyways hahah. I am really happy with the tweeter location. Thanks again vividjazz!

Old 07-11-2007, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
BTW, the 1" speaker brackets for 6.5" speakers are for sale. I bought them from Circuit City and I only opened the bag to test fit it and then decided not to use it. It comes with all original hardware. I'll sell them for $15 shipped.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:05 PM
smiester & others,

I've heard that installing the tweets requires significant/troublesome mods, as well. Have you guys gotten around to doing those - and if so, are there pics?

I really should just get those door panels off and take a look myself...that way I'd have a more informed platform from which to ask questions.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
It does require modification to your door panel but it is not difficult, you just have to be willing to alter your panels. As long as your tweeters come with a recessed mount fixture,( the polk's works nice), you just have to cut the panel to allow them to fit,(tip; enlarge the hole towards the rear, the flat part, rather than towards the front, on the curve, the tweeter will lay more flat and look cleaner).

Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lambert
smiester & others,

I've heard that installing the tweets requires significant/troublesome mods, as well. Have you guys gotten around to doing those - and if so, are there pics?

I really should just get those door panels off and take a look myself...that way I'd have a more informed platform from which to ask questions.
Sorry, I can't help you there. I have a base Fit and I mounted my tweeters on the kick panel.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Thanks, guys.

I'm planning on putting a set of comps in the front doors, and it's DIY pioneers like you that help the rest of us out.

I don't know when I end up getting around to doing them - probably a few months from now - but if there are no detailed writeups about tweeter installs by then, I'll post the process.

I've got my mind set on Infinity 6000CS comps...mmmmmm.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:43 AM
I installed the Polk db6500 tweeters behind the Sport's existing tweeter grilles, which required some modification, as the factory tweeters are smaller. I basically ended up cutting down the three mounting tabs on the back of the factory tweeter grilles, and using a kind of tough rubbery glue that I happened to have on hand to glue the grilles into their holes in the door panels, and the tweeters behind the grilles. They should still be removable, because the glue isn't that strong. I considered enlarging the door panel holes and trying to use the Polk tweeter mounts, but didn't think they'd mount very flush.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:40 PM
5 Year Member
[/img]left side, [/img]right side, they mount ALMOST flat, you can get a fingernail behind them on the bottom, still pro-clean. Just be careful in which directions you enlarge the stock hole.

Last edited by gthumb23; 07-13-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Looks great! Now I'm wishing I'd done it that way instead.