Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

My new headunit install

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 10:58 AM
My new headunit install

Here are some pictures of my new AVIC-Z1 installed.

I have the bluetooth and XM Radio modules installed also.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
wow dude VERY nice , VERY clean , VERY awesome.. thats exactly what I want to install in mine.. nav and everything too iam assuming? Does this make the AUX jack unusable?

Old 06-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Master FitFreaker
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
wow dude VERY nice , VERY clean , VERY awesome.. thats exactly what I want to install in mine.. nav and everything too iam assuming? Does this make the AUX jack unusable?
yea that how about the AUX connection?? cuz I do use it eveyrday for my Ipod btw where did u get the dash at?? thanks

Old 06-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I only listen to XM in the car, so I didn't mess with Aux or Ipod inputs.

The top half of the dash around the stereo is the Mexican version, and the bottom half is my stock one. I took a dremel and cut them in half.

There is a seam but it's hardly noticable.

I painted it all when I was done to match the interior color.

Originally Posted by aziatiklover
yea that how about the AUX connection?? cuz I do use it eveyrday for my Ipod btw where did u get the dash at?? thanks

Old 06-29-2006, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
I see the seam. Looks nice. I would like to install a DVD/Navi system someday.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
where you get the headunit for USDM Fit? Can you tell me?

Old 06-29-2006, 02:54 PM
Great install Timster! Would you be kind enough to share the part number and price for the Mexico dash piece? TIA!

Old 06-29-2006, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
Man that looks sick! I was looking at the exact same model for my element. Pioneer rules!

Enjoy it.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the compliments. The part# for the dash peice that goes around the stereo is B-37-15. I ordered it from a dealership in Mexico.

PM me if you need the dealership contact information. The part cost me roughly $170.

The bottom half will not work with the USDM Airbag and AC/HTR switches so it was cut off using a dremel with a cutting wheel and trashed. I reused the bottom half of the stock peice.

The part from Mexico was a light-gray color, so I removed the stickers for the recirculation, and then taped off the three round things at the bottom with masking tape.

Finally I primed, painted and cleared all of the parts to match the interior.

Originally Posted by racetek82
Great install Timster! Would you be kind enough to share the part number and price for the Mexico dash piece? TIA!

Old 06-29-2006, 06:11 PM
Very nice!!

Old 06-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Master FitFreaker
wow nice thanks for the infos man

Old 06-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Thank you so very much for the info Timster! So I take it that the whole piece would have take a lot of modification to fit the USDM dash? Or was it just the A/C switches that caused the problems? I don't mind cutting and remolding two pieces together, but it's easier not to. =) I also don't mind using the non-US style switches, without the SRS light. Has anyone tried ordering this part through a US dealer? I'll try this week and give an update.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:33 PM
Yes the bottom portion would have taken so much modification that it wasn't worth it to try to use it for me. The USDM lights/switches for Airbag and AC/HTR simply won't fit into the two openings on the Mexican peice because it's too narrow.

Whats worst is the curvature on the right side of the Mexican peice is also a different angle toward the bottom as it wraps under the dash. I have no problem cutting straight lines, but sanding down a curve to match my dash was a bit out of my skill level.

Originally Posted by racetek82
Thank you so very much for the info Timster! So I take it that the whole piece would have take a lot of modification to fit the USDM dash? Or was it just the A/C switches that caused the problems? I don't mind cutting and remolding two pieces together, but it's easier not to. =) I also don't mind using the non-US style switches, without the SRS light. Has anyone tried ordering this part through a US dealer? I'll try this week and give an update.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
Nicely done.

I have one question though.. I used to own a civic years back and I put in an after market stereo, but because the security system was run from the stock head unit, it needed to still be hooked up and barried in the dash. So my question is the stocker barried in the dash or does everything work without the stocker hooked up?

Thanks,
DaGint

Old 07-07-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm not aware of any issues with the stock head unit. At least I have not run into any since swapping it out.

Originally Posted by dagint
Nicely done.

I have one question though.. I used to own a civic years back and I put in an after market stereo, but because the security system was run from the stock head unit, it needed to still be hooked up and barried in the dash. So my question is the stocker barried in the dash or does everything work without the stocker hooked up?

Thanks,
DaGint

Old 07-08-2006, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Thats hot yo.

Old 07-08-2006, 07:06 PM
timster, am I missing something... how did you connect the Pioneer to the stock wiring? I'm looking at getting the same head unit but I'm wondering how much work it'll be to connect it into the stock harness(es). Thanks. BTW, nice looking install.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:55 PM
Just tap the stock wires on the harness. You can get wire taps at Radio Shack.

The wiring color codes are provided in other threads here, and can be mapped to the color codes in the AVIC Z1 install manual.

Originally Posted by frigolay
timster, am I missing something... how did you connect the Pioneer to the stock wiring? I'm looking at getting the same head unit but I'm wondering how much work it'll be to connect it into the stock harness(es). Thanks. BTW, nice looking install.

Old 07-10-2006, 09:08 PM
I want to remove the radio facia to do some wiring but then replace it. Any hints on removing it without damaging the area?

Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by FitInFla
I want to remove the radio facia to do some wiring but then replace it. Any hints on removing it without damaging the area?
me too... thanks!

-joe

Quick Reply: My new headunit install