Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Audio controls on steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Radio buttons on the steering wheel

I'm planing on swaping the OEM audiosystem with a better one. Like one with built in GPS or at least one with support for CD with MP3 files...

First problem is the frame around the OEM radio. But Sosche hopefully will get to solve that problem.

But now I'm thinking of the buttons I have on my steering wheel that controls the radio (volume up/down, channel up/down, mode). Can I use that in any way in my new system?

I'm planing on buying a Pioneer X1BT or HD1BT or other similar systems.

Old 02-06-2007, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
Old 02-15-2007, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
b17gsr,
how's the battle going on this issue? many of us are still in suspense here

Old 02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
what battle? the stock USDM radio isnt capable of this as b17 found out. if you want to use these controls with an aftermarket radio and the adapter i post it should work fine.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Yeah, no go with the OEM North American radio. I plan on getting one of the Scorche radio installation kit, PAC converter and likely a Pioneer DEH-9800BT deck (or something comparable) in the spring / summer.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
oh i must have missed that post then. last i read, you were trying to acquire a non-us radio to see if it would work.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by jthai
oh i must have missed that post then. last i read, you were trying to acquire a non-us radio to see if it would work.
I gave up on that idea due to the cost of getting a non North American radio and loosing some radio frequencies. For the slight difference in cost, I'll have a better deck with Bluetooth and other gizmos, as well as the steering wheel controls.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by alarmgui
yup and the empty plug is for the iPod adaptor, CD chager or XM adaptor.
XM adapter? Is there an XM module we can add to the factory radio?

Old 03-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Bluetooth Controls?

Originally Posted by b17gsr
Yeah, no go with the OEM North American radio. I plan on getting one of the Scorche radio installation kit, PAC converter and likely a Pioneer DEH-9800BT deck (or something comparable) in the spring / summer.
Do you have any pics of the bluetooth controls for the steering wheel and do you know how or if these controls will interface with the DEH-9800BT? Will the PAC unit handle this?

Old 03-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by FitSport2007_5spd
Do you have any pics of the bluetooth controls for the steering wheel and do you know how or if these controls will interface with the DEH-9800BT? Will the PAC unit handle this?
Picked up my head unit last week and want to know if the bluetooth controls on the steering wheel is still worth pursuing. Any news?

Old 03-29-2007, 04:27 PM
No pictures of the actual NAV/Bluetooth buttons, but they sure look similar to the ones on the TSX / TL and are mounted at the same location.

As for the NAV/Bluetooth buttons working with the PAC adapter, they don't list any controls.

Authorized dealer info

Old 06-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by none
XM adapter? Is there an XM module we can add to the factory radio?
is there one? I have an alpine xm tuner would love to use it with the factory sport radio.... or use a honda part if there is one....

Old 07-02-2007, 01:20 PM
I picked up the a JVC KD-AVX33 head unit, Metra dash kit, Metra harness and antenna adapter, PAC interface for the JVC deck.

I installed the head unit, as specified in the user manual, connected the PAC interface as specified in the manual, added a 5.1K ohm (supplied) between the white and black wires on the PAC interface. Programmed the 5 steering buttons.

Here's the deck installed.

Of course I lost about 4 clips (that's why one corner of the trim piece isn't flush), so I'll have to order some from Honda. Can't wait to learn most of the functions in the deck!

So a recap on what I used:

From AJ Racing
- JDM Honda steering wheel buttons
- JDM Honda steering wheel harness

Local audio shop
- PAC SWI-JACK steering interface (with 5.1k ohm resistor installed)
- Metra 40-HD10 antenna adapter
- Metra 70-1722 radio harness adapter
- Metra 99-7872 dash kit
- JVC KD-AVX33 headunit

Please don't send me PMs about what parts I used. What I listed is what I used. How I installed the buttons is listed on the first few pages. The rest is following the manufacturers instructions.

The buttons work great. There's a bit more of a delay than the buttons in my wife's Odyssey, but I've adapted to the delay in a few days. The bluetooth functions with this deck are NICE! If I REALLY wanted too, I could get the PAC wireless adapter and program the bluetooth signals from the JVC wireless remote and program them to work with the NAV buttons, but that's more money and not really needed.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by b17gsr

The buttons work great. There's a bit more of a delay than the buttons in my wife's Odyssey, but I've adapted to the delay in a few days. The bluetooth functions with this deck are NICE! If I REALLY wanted too, I could get the PAC wireless adapter and program the bluetooth signals from the JVC wireless remote and program them to work with the NAV buttons, but that's more money and not really needed.
Looking great! So what happens on your deck when you press the "mode" button on the steering wheel?

Old 07-03-2007, 02:05 PM
The PAC interface gave me a few options for programming the buttons. Options vary with deck manufacturer. For JVC the options are: Vol Up, Vol Down, Mute/Power, Preset Up, Source, Seek Up, Seek Down, Select, Band.

I chose:
Mode button = Source
Volume + = Volume up
Volume - = Volume down
Channel + = seek up
Channel - = seek down

My only pet peeve is that the seek + and seek - under tuner "seeks" instead of going through the presets, ohh well. Under CD/DVD/USB it goes to the next track and if I hold the button, it fast forwards or rewinds in the song.

Definately a nice feature to have and stumps other Fit owners!

Old 08-05-2007, 02:50 PM
After replacing my stock radio with a Pioneer DEH-P880PRS thanks to the Scosche kit, I similarly wanted to add the Japanese steering wheel controls to control the Pioneer deck. I purchased the audio buttons from JapanParts.com who added it to their catalog at my request (after several requests to AJ Racing went unanswered) (BTW, I drew the red outline around the controls in the pic on their site), and for the harness I just got the USDM steering wheel harness (part 77901-SLN-A00) to chop apart, since the cruise control and audio buttons' connectors are the same. It didn't include a connector for the navi buttons, but I wasn't planning on installing them anyway.

At first I planned to use something like the PAC interface adapter, but then I did some research online, and found someone had reverse-engineered Pioneer's (which is also Sony's) remote control scheme here. I took apart the JDM audio controls and traced the circuit (which exactly matched the illustration on the first page of this thread; thanks, b17gsr), and realized that by changing the values of five resistors and slightly altering the circuit, I could make the JDM controls interface directly with a Pioneer (or Sony) head unit without the PAC interface or any other add-ons, other than a homemade cable from the cord reel to the head unit. I made the modifications, tested that the resistances all read spot on with the buttons pressed, and grafted the second connector onto the steering wheel harness, just like b17gsr did. I turned a stereo headphone cable into the remote cord from the back of the cable reel to the head unit, put everything back together, and it works.

It was kind of a lot of trouble, though, and it really requires familiarity with soldering tiny surface-mount electronic components, so it's not a job for the casual modder. If anyone's interested in the specific changes I made, though, I'd be happy to illustrate them.

Aaron T.

Last edited by arteitle; 08-05-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by arteitle
It was kind of a lot of trouble, though, and it really requires familiarity with soldering tiny surface-mount electronic components, so it's not a job for the casual modder. If anyone's interested in the specific changes I made, though, I'd be happy to illustrate them.

Aaron T.
I would appreciate any sort of DIY with your approach. A question regarding the NAVI buttons, what did they originally do on Honda NAVI units?

Old 08-06-2007, 03:37 PM
What types of Harness' do i need

Hello. Just got a new fit and want this function. I'm planning on going with an aftermarket reciever.......besides the pac harness are there any other types of harnesses that I would need??? I hear talk of a harness for the steering wheel buttons, does anyone know if I could just use the PAC or would i need a sparate harness. Thanks

Last edited by bamivan; 08-06-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 PM
For anyone interested in a carputer approach, I just ordered the buttons and plan on using a microcontroller to convert the analog voltages into button presses on a USB controller for input to a PC.

If anyone's interested, just PM me and I can make one for around 10-15 bucks depending on how cheap I can get the USB controllers

Old 08-27-2007, 09:49 PM
For canucks,
I ordered the audio controls/bluetooth honda kit from japanparts.com. It took about 3 weeks to receive. Canada customs charged some duty, GST and PST, total of $29.

Now, I have to get on with the install and decide what I am going to do. I would love to be able to find a way to use the Honda bluetooth controls with my Pioneer Bluetooth module. Anyone know if this is possible?

Quick Reply: Audio controls on steering wheel?