Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Audio controls on steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Looking forward to seeing the pictures Al!

As for the Ipod adapter, IIRC it works through the CD changer port.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:54 AM
Here is the HU opened. As you can see, it is not as easy as you think, hence this is as far as I am willing to strip it!

Al.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by b17gsr
This is/can be confirmed at: http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hon...ries/index.htm

Old 09-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Ok, p11wrg, how much for that HU shipped to Canada? I'm hoping that the wiring for the front panel is the same on both units. Only one way to find out!

Old 09-27-2006, 04:56 PM
5 Year Member
Unhappy Guess that doesn't help then

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyy183
Trying to picture how that would work but I guess it doesn't help for what you're trying to do.

It was a shot anyway.

Old 09-28-2006, 05:28 AM
Ok, p11wrg, how much for that HU shipped to Canada? I'm hoping that the wiring for the front panel is the same on both units. Only one way to find out!
Shipping to Canada is £40. The HU used fetch around £150 used. So I am willing to do the whole thing for £190.

Let me know!

Thanks

Al.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by p11wrg
Shipping to Canada is £40. The HU used fetch around £150 used. So I am willing to do the whole thing for £190.
Frig, that works out to 400$ Canadian.

More than I can afford to get this working right now.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:24 PM

Any news on the battle to get this to work? It looked like you were getting so close!

Old 10-11-2006, 04:10 PM
I haven't had a chance to dig any further.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
Ok so get me up to date.

You got the steering wheel buttons mounted and how did you wire them up?

If it shows pins 5 & 6, it is possible it needs BOTH of the wires from the steering wheel switch connected.

It used to be ground reference so you could simply ground one side of the switch. Use a Digital Volt Meter set to DC volts around 20V and check BOTH of the pins. One will have voltage. NOW, whether thats the referance or the trigger is yet to be seen. You will need to take both wires from the steering wheel switches and connect each side to a pin. Shouldn't matter which one goes where since its simple resistance. Now measure both wires while operating the switch. If the wire with voltage goes lower to ground its a 'ground referance' switch and simply groundign one side of the steering wheel switch wires should work just fine. IF the voltage stays the same and the OTHER wire shows a voltage then its a 'voltage reference' setup and where you connect the feed wire to the switch is a big deal. If the feed from the radio is 12v, then the Horn button wire should work ok. If its less (usually 5v area) then you will need to do more work.

Standard Fit Forum warnings about 'doing this yourself and screwing it up are your own fault' apply

Old 11-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the tips, but between my 3 years studying electronics and over 9 years designing electrical systems, I think I've exhausted all options with the factory deck.

I used to seperate wires from the steering wheel since I had 4 available pins on the cable reel. According to the JDM manual and 2006 Civic EX wiring schematic, one pin is ground, other is reference.

I attempted to wire both wires to the pins specified for the 2006 Civic EX. The radio did not respond. With a digital multimeter, I was able to confirm that the resistance between the two wires was correct. Our head units are not configured with the remote control circuitry.

I plan on purchasing a Pioneer head unit (likely the DEH-P9800BT with Bluetooth) and PAC SWI-PS adapter sometime in the new year, once the double DIN mounting kits are available. Then I'll be set.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Thanks for the tips, but between my 3 years studying electronics and over 9 years designing electrical systems, I think I've exhausted all options with the factory deck.

I used to seperate wires from the steering wheel since I had 4 available pins on the cable reel. According to the JDM manual and 2006 Civic EX wiring schematic, one pin is ground, other is reference.

I attempted to wire both wires to the pins specified for the 2006 Civic EX. The radio did not respond. With a digital multimeter, I was able to confirm that the resistance between the two wires was correct. Our head units are not configured with the remote control circuitry.

I plan on purchasing a Pioneer head unit (likely the DEH-P9800BT with Bluetooth) and PAC SWI-PS adapter sometime in the new year, once the double DIN mounting kits are available. Then I'll be set.
the the PAC adapter, you will be able to use the steering wheel controls to control aftermarket units?

-joe

Old 11-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Yes. Pac makes various adapters to control aftermarket units from OEM steering wheel mounted controls. Some of their adapters are hardwired into aftermarket decks (that have a rear remote input jack) and another version that controls units with an infrared signal. Apparently the infrared signal can be flaky in some sunny conditions.

http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...el%20Interface

Old 11-19-2006, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
it doesn't even have to be sunny to be flaky. i've installed those since they came out and have always hated the ir version.

also i think what is being said in a nutshell is yes the adapter will work. the problem isn't the steering controls. they send OUT a signal. there is nothing on the radios end to receive IN and decode the commands. once the aftermarket head unit is installed the adapter will be able to receive the commands from the steering wheel controls and convert them to the proper functions on the aftermarket radio. correct?

Old 11-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spider2k
also i think what is being said in a nutshell is yes the adapter will work. the problem isn't the steering controls. they send OUT a signal. there is nothing on the radios end to receive IN and decode the commands. once the aftermarket head unit is installed the adapter will be able to receive the commands from the steering wheel controls and convert them to the proper functions on the aftermarket radio. correct?
Your coles notes version gets an A+. The exact conclusion I came up with, but mine has more words.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
lol sometimes ya gotta bust out the crayons...

Old 11-20-2006, 07:39 PM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
any idea how much everything costs after all is said and done? And where are you getting parts? straight from the dealer or from a nother source like Altrom or WorldPac/Metrix??

Old 11-20-2006, 09:17 PM
I got the Fit controls from AJ Racing, about 170$ shipped. PAC adapter is another 60$ + shipping, plus deck and adapter. So roughly 230$ for finger tip controls of the radio.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2hot6ft2
So can someone confirm, is this what the USDM radio plugs look like?

Thanks

Old 11-25-2006, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
yup and the empty plug is for the iPod adaptor, CD chager or XM adaptor.

Quick Reply: Audio controls on steering wheel?