Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

Sub woofer location

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Sub woofer location

Hey guys and gals,

Where you would put a subwoofer and an amplifier. ( I will prbably be using a small JL or similar 8" sub)

Looking for:
1. Full Magic Seat potential.(I wish to use all the modes and store long things if needed.)
2. Good sound quality.
3. I want to keep a spare tire. (What is the point of having a kickin' system and being stranded on the side of the road? I still need to be able to drive.)
4. Basically I want it to stay in the car no matter what I am doing.

I am thinking it might have to go under the front seats, but am not sure. I look forward to hearing the input. Thanks and enjoy the ride.

~Tony

Old 06-20-2006, 11:10 PM
5 Year Member
you can put it on the left side of the trunk, that way you can use all modes...post pics when you're done...

Old 06-21-2006, 06:11 AM
Someone that Posts too much
Why not make the sub detachable so it can be taken out if needed? You can attach the sub amp to the sub box as long as it is mounted such as to minimise vibration.

If small enough could be mounted under the rear seats or in a corner of the boot.

Another option is a bass tube such as the SAS Bazooka tubes with integrated amp.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
you can get a custom box made to fit behind the front seat on the floor.

Old 06-21-2006, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
kenwood

Originally Posted by ynot984
Hey guys and gals,

Where you would put a subwoofer and an amplifier. ( I will prbably be using a small JL or similar 8" sub)

Looking for:
1. Full Magic Seat potential.(I wish to use all the modes and store long things if needed.)
2. Good sound quality.
3. I want to keep a spare tire. (What is the point of having a kickin' system and being stranded on the side of the road? I still need to be able to drive.)

I am thinking it might have to go under the front seats, but am not sure. I look forward to hearing the input. Thanks and enjoy the ride.

~Tony
The only place you will be able to mount anything is behind your seats. I am still waiting on my Kenwood KSC-SW1 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JVFZLeK...KSCSW1&g=51000) and I will be mounting it on the rear of the rear seats. The subwoofer is rugged so you dont have to worry too much when putting certain things on it. You can also mount the subwoofer on its side in the rear also if thats what you prefer. It probably doesnt sound as good as a 10" woofer but its compact and lightweight.

------------------------------------
Copied from Crutchfield:

Details:
» powered, enclosed subwoofer with 6-1/2" driver and 6-1/2" passive radiator » built-in amplifier: 150 watts RMS » frequency response: 35-150 Hz » wired remote for control over: volume level control variable low-pass crossover (50-120 Hz) selectable phase control (0°, 180°) » power/ground wiring harness with 10A in-line fuse » preamp (RCA) and speaker-level inputs » dimensions: 15-3/4"W x 3-11/16"H x 9-1/16"D » warranty: 1 year
------------------------------------

I will let you guys know how it sounds.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ynot984
Hey guys and gals,

Looking for:
2. Good sound quality.

~Tony
the gas tank is under the front seats so be carfull. What is wrong with the spare tire compartment...

Old 06-21-2006, 11:38 PM
I wish to keep the spare tire. I do not think a sub and box would fit in the well with the tire. Thanks for the help guys. Do you have any suggestions of products for this job?

Old 06-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Okay here's an idea for you. When we built our car, we wanted the same things as you, good sound whilst keeping the usability of the car. To this end, we built a false floor in the boot, that is hinged so that I can still get to the spare wheel etc. On top of the flase floor sits 2 amps, which are boxed in with plastic glass windows. When I am using the car day to day, there are carpeted inserts to cover the glass and all you see is black carpet. The false floor has a recess at the back which takes the 2x 12" slim boxes (blaupunkt) so the fit tight against the amp box and the back of the seats. This keeps them totally removable, yet totally secure. I also have a PS2 installed, that its on a plinth made to sit on the centre tunnel under the rear seat. This is also removable.

I have kept all the usability of the car and can access the spare tire and fold the seats. What more do you want??!!

Al.

Last edited by p11wrg; 06-22-2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:10 AM
i'm also interested in where a sub could be mounted. i dont want to have to move it, take it out, or to block any usable space. kinda sucks the gas tank is under the front seat then, kinda erases the possibility of an invisible, out of the way installation.

also, that kenwood is only a 6.5" sub with a 6.5" passive radiator, which this is probably going to sound good, i wish to use at minimum an 8" sub, maybe 2

Old 06-23-2006, 11:05 AM
what about something that can mount over the spare tire, like the one in the RSX? maybe you can get one of the acura OEM bose ones to work

Old 06-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by NeverNZ
i'm also interested in where a sub could be mounted. i dont want to have to move it, take it out, or to block any usable space. kinda sucks the gas tank is under the front seat then, kinda erases the possibility of an invisible, out of the way installation.

also, that kenwood is only a 6.5" sub with a 6.5" passive radiator, which this is probably going to sound good, i wish to use at minimum an 8" sub, maybe 2
What real difference is the fuel tank under the front seat going to make? The room from the bottom of the chassis to the seat is still the same/similar to any other car??? It's not as if you are going to cut out a hole in the chassis under the seat and sink in a sub... or were you?

Al.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by p11wrg
What real difference is the fuel tank under the front seat going to make? The room from the bottom of the chassis to the seat is still the same/similar to any other car??? It's not as if you are going to cut out a hole in the chassis under the seat and sink in a sub... or were you?

Al.
hmm, i must be mistaken then, its just that the last time i looked, it looked like the floor was raised under the front seats, allowing very little room to mount anything there. keep in mind that i dont have my car yet, and i didnt really look under the seats in the dealer

also, when you want to lay the rear seat forward, the headrest slides under the front seat, so if a sub is there, there is no place for the headrest to go.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:04 PM
The clearance is shallow, but no real difference from most cars. As to the head rest, you can take it off if you don't want it to interfere with the sub when you fold the seats down. The 'magic seating' system is good, but you can always do it the old fashioned way too.

Al.

Old 06-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi I'm new to the forum but have been a reader for a while.

I'm also trying to figure out where to place an amp. I check under the front seats. There is a metal bar there that would prevent anything from behind placed there other than something as flat as a magazine. Putting anything underneath the rear seats would make the long mode of the magic seats rendered redundant.

Looks like the false floor is the only viable setup, unless we built fibreglass molds on either side of the boot, one for the amp one for the sub. I'm curious to see if anyone has any more pictures of their setups.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:52 PM
got myself a metal bracket that mount to the passenger's seat and put the amp on top of it .. as for the subwoofer .. check out the picture .. it's only 8 inch so not as loud as the 10 or 12 .. but it do the job most of the time ..

Old 07-03-2006, 09:16 PM
So you can't lay your seats down flat, then?

Old 07-03-2006, 09:19 PM
looks like this when seat is down ..

Old 07-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Where did you get the box from, or did you custom make it. If you did make it, are you able to post the instuctions or sizes you used. I really like the set-up and think it is exactly what I had in mind when I first posted. Thanks in advance, and it looks really good. Hope it sounds well too.
~Tony

Old 07-04-2006, 08:51 PM
this is a custom made, the best subwoofer to fit under there is rockford fosgate phase one or two 8 inch ... because the sealed box is taking up 0.25 cu ft only ... material is fibreglass ..

Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Very nice sub box install/design. 8" are ideal to just increase the bass frequencies and quality. No good for outright bass junkie though!

I fitted a PS2 in the location of your 8" enclosure...

Al.

Quick Reply: Sub woofer location