Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

A pillar pods completed...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Talking A pillar pods completed...

I'm new here and quiet, but not new to the honda scene. I mainly stay on the car audio forums and spend most of my time enjoying the award winning SQ stereo in my Accord. Now I drive my Fit back and forth to work so it was time to ditch the factory stuff and get something that sounded good. I built a set of pods that fill the hole where the wing window is for a 3" midrange and tweeter. I put the 6.5' midbass in the door with the help of a 3/4" spacer.

As I get more time I'll get the spare tire well enclosure finished and some pics posted. Feel free to give me any criticism or ask any questions. I'm a long time stereo guy and will freely give advice to anyone with a problem or setup question!

Here is a link to the cardomain page: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3881895/1

and a photo as a teaser:

Last edited by lashlee; 09-12-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:07 PM
5 Year Member
I'm surprised I've not gotten any feedback!!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:46 PM
5 Year Member
Very nice work man. In for pics of your sub.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
sweet, +rep. you should post more pictures.

has it interfered with your driving much?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:27 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks!! I'll get the pics of the sub once I get things wrapped up next week, as long as the amp comes in!! I'm not happy with the box I built so that's why I won't post pics. If more people want to see it I'll put some up.

I don't have any trouble driving except for the fact that I tend to admire my work often!! They don't rattle or move around so I got what I wanted.

I've got some other installs posted if you want to look around at: www.cardomain.com/id/lashlee

Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member
As a side note if anyone has an oem radio that they want to get rid of let me know. It dosen't have to function as long as the main structure is intact. The player can be dead even!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
HSK163??? Im Jealous... I have the 165.

Does the tweeter sound harsh to you? Mine is pretty nasty imo. Mated with a Pioneer P-4100dvd and a Precision Power PCX480

Have u thought about selling sets your custom mounts? I really cant stand how my tweets sound in the stock location! Too close to the listener and it's off-axis

Old 11-30-2010, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
It would be sweet to put some gauges in a setup like this...

Old 11-30-2010, 08:56 PM
5 Year Member
I'll qualify my answer about the tweeters with this, I have dyn tweeters and a full 31 band EQ in my accord. To me they do break up at higher volume but I use a JL XD 5 channel with the fronts bridged to around 200 watts. I do like how they sound and having them up high and off axis helps with any sort of shrill or brightness that they have. I do want to tweak them with an EQ so I plan on getting one of the imprint setups so I can use the 5 band EQ instead of the auto EQ.

Sure I would be willing to sell them!! They aren't too difficult to make and they literally drop right in and leave no marks or need any sort of mechanical fastener. Setting up one for gauges is silly in my opinion but wouldn't be much harder though they would have to much deeper since most gauges are kinda deep.

If anyone is interested I would be willing to see how much it would cost and time frame for me to make another set.

As a side note I plan on getting another sheet of wood and finishing up the new version of the trunk this weekend, weather permitting!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Nice work, Mike

Old 12-01-2010, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
yeah let me know how much! i just need one hole for the hertz tweeter angled for the best sound

Old 12-01-2010, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
jason, try different locations with like double sided tape, and then mod pillar or make a pod accordingly.

there's no one set location with the best sound.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:27 PM
5 Year Member
^what do u think about the tweeters firing the windscreen? I found it was the least harsh, most spacious sound-wise, and just a fuller sound.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
if thats what you like, then thats where u should mount it. unless you have active processing to try to compensate for location

Old 12-01-2010, 11:46 PM
in-car is one of the harshest environment for audio. If you want a great sounding setup... you have to know what you're doing and if you're serious about your sound (sq wise) it'll cost alot of $$$, know how, time and dedication. I was once into it and the $$$ I poured into them was ridiculous. I have now moved into head-fi (another very expensive hobby) but looking back on my car audio days... the countless hours and sessions of tweaking to move the soundstage where it should are well worth it... the priceless moment is when you close your eyes and you get that feeling of the entire band playing right in front of you and only for you

Enough of that... very nice work you did lashlee... reps to you

Old 12-02-2010, 12:50 AM
5 Year Member
hahah man i give up with my stereo, i honestly feel like i wanna sell it atm! lol

I have some plastic pods my comps came with, just gonna hot glue the tweeters to the a pillar and see how it goes :/ im too tired to have patience right now

Old 12-02-2010, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
oh my goodness... i lost my factory tweeter grills so now i have a gaping hole in my front doors

Old 12-02-2010, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Bouncing the tweeters off the windshield can work well, especially with a simpler set up. Sometimes things just work, for reasons that are unexplained! Like Evil noted, money and proper equipment can overcome the terrible environment, but sometimes it's luck and hours and hours of tuning!! I hate to think of what I have in terms of time, effort and money just when it comes to playing with the EQ.

Thanks for the rep. It's a hobby that used to be a profession that I've loved since high school (which has been more than a few years!!) and it feels good to have someone appreciate the work I put into my projects.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
no problem! I can't tell you how many hours i sit in my car and play with the headunit eq. Let's just say the battery is practically dead each time i leave my car. And everyone thinks im weird because i am constantly sitting there trying to make the stereo sound "better"

I don't have much experience with EQ tuning, especially since i have a mid-fi stereo setup in my room and the only settings i can mess with there is treble, bass, and 3 different filters in my digital analogue converter.

Anyways I ended up mounting the tweeters in plastic pods crossing right between the two seats, it sounds quite good from the center but from my seat it's only alright... The pods are just secured by hot glue so i can change the position easily. It's tough to make the sound centered but wide at the same time! I don't know why but i'm also getting ALOT of excess bass around 50-150hz and the higher mids to treble is extremely harsh. If i have my headunit's EQ on flat, my ears hurt from bass and treble overload after a minute or so...
Either my pioneer P4100-DVD was a bad choice for SQ, my RCA cables suck, or there's another factor that I'm not yet aware of.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:26 AM
5 Year Member
you cant tune anything unless you have a head unit with a proper processor... all you have is a high pass crossover and treble/mid/bass at most

with little to no tuning options, you need to spend more time on install and what not, since you cant really compensate locations /w any type of time alignment, and lack a good eq to level off any peaks

Quick Reply: A pillar pods completed...