Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

my possible set up, need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
my possible set up, need your opinion

Hello, this is my first post since I registered in July of 2008 I read a lot, but don't post much. I read more than half of all the threads in the I.C.E. forum, but I still want to hear some opinions on my particular set up.

When I want to enjoy music I use my home sound system and that's why I never really got into car audio. Usually, when I drive, I listen to the engine but the Fit is an exception; it's a daily driver not a "fun car", although I do have fun driving it. I spend a lot of time behind the wheel of my Fit, and I've "enjoyed" music on the stock stereo for almost 3 years now. I've been talking myself out of any stereo upgrades, but since I'm keeping the car until it dies, I guess the stock equipment is not gonna cut it anymore. I think I'm finally ready for something a little better than stock. I am not looking for a crazy set-up that is gonna blow people away; I just want something that will be an improvement over stock sound system.

This is what I pretty much decided on, as far as the equipment, and I'd like to know if I'm going to waste my time installing all that, and money. As I said before, I just want something that will be an improvement over stock and I will not be in sound competitions. I am also trying to watch my budget .

1. I want to keep the stock HU. I know everyone recommends to replace it, but I live in Chicago; I really don't want the extra attention that comes with aftermarket DVD/Navi unit, which is what I would get, but really like my windows... in one piece ... plus I kinda like the OEM look.

2. I will not be adding a sub.

3. Here's what I was thinking
- Dynamat the entire car
- Alpine MRP-F300 amp, 4x50 watts RMS. I like that it's got speaker level inputs, which I like more that RCA converters.
- Polk Audio db6501 6-1/2" component speakers in the front and the back

...and that's pretty much it. If all this is a waste of money and there will be no improvement over stock sound system, please let me know.

Thanks for reading my super long post. I just wanted to give you guys as much info as possible. Your input/advice is appreciated. I you feel there is better stuff in that price range, better solutions, etc, then please let me know. Once again, thank you for your help .

...ohhh, and one more thing; I checked Honda's part numbers, and it says that the head unit in the Fit Sport is made by Alpine, any info on that?

Last edited by copmagnet82; 03-03-2010 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 AM
Sounds good let me know how it goes but IMHO get a small sub it will level the sound out don't go crazy big the only reason I have what I have is because I had it from another car but find a small sub and hit it wil 400-600 watts it would really help alot but if u don't want a sub then don't do it but post pics when u get started good luck!!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
^ X2 on adding a sub. If you've a home system you know how important it's to have bass.
If you going with just the components then sound deadening the whole car is not necessary/expensive. I would just sound deaden the doors. Unless you think the car is noisy and want to make it more quiet.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitting
^ X2 on adding a sub. If you've a home system you know how important it's to have bass.
If you going with just the components then sound deadening the whole car is not necessary/expensive. I would just sound deaden the doors. Unless you think the car is noisy and want to make it more quiet.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
have you thought about getting a cleansweep or w/e? it flattens out the stock signal? i dont know much about them but i'd defintely get one to help out the crappy stock headunit. I think they make SOME double dins with detachable faces now too dont they?..

Old 03-06-2010, 04:42 AM
5 Year Member
another option would be rockford fosgate 360.1 or 360.2. Those would have you maintain the stock unit, but have better signal going to the amp. i also recommend a small sub of some sort, but you may get a fuller sound with a decent set of mids or even 6.5" subs in the rear doors instead (will take some custom work to get them to fit though...) but that would be out of ur budget.

To stay within ur budget, i suggest spending a bit more money in the front set of speakers and get lower priced coaxials for the rear.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Alpine MRP-F300 positioning

Hello! I'm into thinking of upgrading my audio system just like you. I don't have the money right now but I would like to be ready when the time comes. I have a new generation '09 Jazz Elegance model with i-SHIFT.
I have a pair of used component 2-way Kenwood KFC-P703 speakers (4 OHMS with PEAK POWER 170W, 50 RMS, 30Hz-32KHz and 92 dB Sensitivity) that I'm planning to put on the front doors (16.5cm woofers) and on the dashboard panel (4cm tweeters) and I will also need to buy a pair of 16.5cm coaxial (2way or 3way) up to 50-60euro (maybe Alpine) for the rear doors.
I think that the Alpine MRP-F300 amp looks great for matching with the stock head unit and is pretty small amp but I'm really troubled about the position of the amp cause I don't want to put it in the trunk and not anywhere that can be seen when the car is parked.
1) I was thinking about the little space under the co-driver's (or driver's) seat but the height is limited and the seat needs to be moved (to front or rear) and finally the rear's passenger feet may knock or troublesome with it. Did anyone tried this way around or is it impossible?
I don't want to put it in the passenger's down cabinet and loose the space so
2) I would like to know if there is enough space behind the big front dashboard (in any position) that would fit such an amp. (Alpine V-Power MRP-F300 dimensions: Foot Print (WxHxD) mm: 270mm x 60mm x 242mm and Heat Sink (WxHxD) mm: 210mm x 60mm x 242mm.
What are you planning to do? Any suggestions?

- I read a lot, but don't post much +1
- I spend a lot of time behind the wheel of my Fit +1
- I just want something that will be an improvement over stock +1
- I want to keep the stock HU +1
- I will not be adding a sub +1
- I am also trying to watch my budget +1
copmagnet82's total: +6

I'm sorry for my bad English... cheers from Greece!
Christos

Last edited by keyboardologist; 04-18-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 PM
5 Year Member
It's been almost 8 months and I've been so busy with a new job, trips to Europe and all over the US that I didn't have time to buy and do any of the sound system.

Finalllyyyyy... I bought my stuff and within the next 2 weeks or so I should be able to complete my install . I will post pictures for your viewing pleasure .

My setup has changed a little though; I picked up polkaudio DXi components for the front and back and a polkaudio AP660 4ch amp . 15 minutes ago I received 100sqft of eDead 45 and v4. I'm still waiting for wires and stuff.

I am super excited about this project . Hopefully my sound system with the stock head unit, the amp and the speakers is going to sound nicer than OEM and I didn't just waste over a grand for nothing .